ZT 0392 release day on 2/18!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed 2 sellers on the auction site this morning with 0392s, but ended the bids early sometime after the release...do they think this knife will cause so much interest they plan on relisting at higher prices? This is interesting to me.

The problem with "making enough to go around" in this case is that the hardware is made by Hinderer. Getting him to make 1000 sets of hardware when he hasn't even made hardware available for his Eklipses yet and has problems keeping hardware for all his XMs in stock would be a tall order. Same with the 0454, it's not easy to make the complex laminated blade and milled CF.

That said, I definitely hope they release a plain non limited version like they are doing now with the 0454/0452. The problem is, that's basically what a real Eklipse is, so I'm not sure they want to take sales away from Rick.

Why would the dealers be unhappy? They had the choice to sell them and make money. It's their websites that don't allocate a spot for each knife and put it on hold throughout the checkout process. That's not KAIs fault. If I owned a knife retail website, I would be upset about the LE's being sold direct. I own a business and used to have a retail website. Trust me. Retailers want the cherry picks.

I guess I look at it a little differently. I too own a company with a website and internet sales. I love the margin from these sales, but I would not be happy to be in a position where customers walked away unhappy after interacting with my company. The dealers made money off these sales and I am not upset with them because their systems were not able to handle the traffic. Not all customers are so cool. When talking with customer service at one dealer, they lady said that she just got yelled at by an unhappy customer and that the 0392 is all she has been talking about all day. She did not sound happy about it.

I'm kinda over this. I've spent way too much time dealing with this already. Again, I really like a lot of things ZT is doing right now, but the way they handle the LE sales sucks.

Congratulations to all that got a 0392. It looks like an awesome knife!

The problem with "making enough to go around" in this case is that the hardware is made by Hinderer. Getting him to make 1000 sets of hardware when he hasn't even made hardware available for his Eklipses yet and has problems keeping hardware for all his XMs in stock would be a tall order. Same with the 0454, it's not easy to make the complex laminated blade and milled CF.

That said, I definitely hope they release a plain non limited version like they are doing now with the 0454/0452. The problem is, that's basically what a real Eklipse is, so I'm not sure they want to take sales away from Rick.

If he doesn't have enough to supply his own products then they really aren't taking sales away from him. Very few Hinderers make it onto the market through resellers. Plus if you are buying ZT replicas you more than likely don't have the money to drop on a $600 hinderer.

well I'm over it. Cool knife but I won't pay secondary prices for it. Honestly I'm more excited about ZT's 2015 line up that isn't limited edition. More money for another Sebenza!:thumbup::thumbup:

Totally agree with this. Unless secondary prices only go up $50 (HAHAHAHHAAHA) it's not worth it. Just trying to get one thru the dealers is a nightmare, not worth the extra time and hassle to me. The 'average joe' would pretty much never be able to get something like this because of crazy secondary prices, or they don't have the time or inclination to try and hit refresh 1000x on various dealer websites.

ZT makes some great knives, but these LE's are just getting ridiculous in demand and prices. I don't think they'd have any trouble selling more, and chances are they will lose some customers over these frustrating LE's releases.

Waiting for the first one to pop up on the exchange with the customary "Nice knife but not for me..." sale :) hehe

I do think you'll see non-limited runs in the near future... zt has already came out and said they'll be making accessories to customize the knife, so why would they spend the time and resources to do that for a limited blade only? at the very least- they'll release annual or semiannual runs of the 392

Grabbed one on BladeHQ, it took so long to go through that I thought the server was going to crash.

My card was charged at BHQ, but we'll see if it actually gets shipped.

I'm not particularly worried about it either way. I have so many knives that are essentially identical to this, I'll definitely sell some to make up for this one.

I mean, I have a 0566 which I'm selling, because I just bought a 0562CF recently... now this thing lol.

0560BW...

I gave the kershaw versions as gifts.

I'd be happy to have one though :)

If you watch EpicSnuggleBunny's review of the 0392 on youtube, you see a serial number of 297. Could this mean there are minimal of 300 made?

Just received my Email conformation from knife Center. I originally posted GPKnives was where I scored it, got a little confused with all the site searching madness happening on my AirPad.:D Now I have two ZT's on the way to my home, a 0392 and a 0562 to keep my 0350 company. Oh well, lots of ZT happiness to be had here for sure!:thumbup:

Congratz for all you who scored.

I thought I was on top and couldn't miss but I didn't even get to 1st base. Too slow internet speed or Denial of Service is the best that I can describe my attempt of being on the starting line and ready when the starting gun was fired to start the race.

No disappointment though for me. There will be plenty of great knives coming up with much of the inflated hype as this had. I personally would like a more "layed-back" approach. Maybe a lottery system could be tried.

ill say that it gets people talking about a brand even more... those that lost out will still likely try to buy the next one just to attempt it even if it isnt their ideal knife, and because of the hype and talk after an LE run zt will get the free advertising towards others new to the brand who will undoubtedly buy another ZT model that is readily stocked just to be part of the club.

yes they could have released 1000 of these and sold them all at their asking price- but the above is all i can think that would make some sense. i also dont know what zt's cost and acceptable risk are on a limtted run so maybe 300 is what they can produce on a production line before they have to return the line to standard blades that they make more profit on. id imagine they make more profit on a homemade design than a collaboration too- so theyd rather spend more resources on their profit. all speculation- but i have experience in consumer goods/production in other industries

Spyderco sprints get PLENTY of attention and they are typically 1200. They sell out in days, not seconds. Fair chance for everyone yet still collectors items. If spyderco can do it, ZT can too.

I noticed 2 sellers on the auction site this morning with 0392s, but ended the bids early sometime after the release...do they think this knife will cause so much interest they plan on relisting at higher prices? This is interesting to me.

Probably didn't get one in today's crap shoot, nothing to sell...:foot:

Spyderco sprints get PLENTY of attention and they are typically 1200. They sell out in days, not seconds. Fair chance for everyone yet still collectors items. If spyderco can do it, ZT can too.

... but collaborations with a small batch maker like RH? I hear ya though... I'm just playing devils advocate, because there has to be SOME reason. I cant imagine a company would readily throw the chance for profit out of the window.

^^^This. The ZT induced silliness that accompanies their LE's really helps to make Sal and the rest of Spyderco look very good right now. And before everybody gets up in arms because another manufacturer was mentioned in a ZT thread, this comment is relevant in the sense that we are talking about LE's and Sprint Runs, same thing, just different name and wildly different executions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back