ZT 0550 - detent too strong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to beat a dead horse but maybe as a tool for self diagnosis...

Problems should fall into one of three catagories and maybe if this doesn't help you directly, someone else may get some use out of it.

1) Lockbar pressure against the tang. The more "bent in" the lockbar is, the greater the pressure exerted against the tang and the inherent increase in friction against the tang while opening. In contrast though, the more pressure the lockbar exerts the more it is able to hold the detent ball in the tang hole. Strong lockbar pressure can also effect blade centering while closed, shifting the tip away from the lock side. Lockbar pressure is easily user adjustable if you are comforable with disassembling your knife. Work in minute adjustments by bending the lockbar out or in dependant upon the desire of a stronger or weaker detent.

2) Detent. The deeper the detent ball sits in the hole the stronger the detent. A stronger detent allows for a build up of kinetic energy to be stored between the tang and the ball holding the blade closed until a breaking point is reached. The more kinetic energy that can be stored before this breaking point, the greater the inertia upon release. Technique can overcome a weak detent by storing the kinetic energy in your finger but IMHO that should not be a designed characteristic of a flipper. A deeper hole or larger ball is obviously not something user adjustable but step one can usually make a big difference in tweaking.

3) Pivot. Should be designed to reduce the friction which impedes the inertia of an opening knife. Pivot bearing systems such as IKBS or Roller Thrust reduce the amount of friction but increase the complexity of a knives moving parts. IMHO a nylon washer (or even PB) done right will be just as good or close enough to make no discernable difference. The pivot smoothness can be easily demonstrated by disengaging the lockbar, removing contact with the tang using your thumb and observing how freely the blade swings. Adjust your pivot screw to be as tight as possible while still allowing the blade to move with ease. Generally though, tightening the pivot restrains this free movement but centers the blade. Loosening the pivot to where the blade moves freely allows the pressure from the lockbar (while closed) to push against the blade shifting the blade off center. Blade centering can be achieved using another technique mentioned in thorough write-ups on this forum.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Nice write-up strider, thanks for the time and effort :thumbup: I know you cautioned those attempting adjustment, I might add
also, don't attempt any adjustments to any knife that might jeopardize a warranty issue. Sometimes a short round trip with the mailman is the safer play.

Last edited:
I think where I've landed is that I'm going to give the 0550 some time for the detent ball to wear a channel and hopefully loosen up.

No problem to both and thank you right back.

First, I find this quote interesting and I really never gave it much thought before but I can't see that wearing a channel on the tang is ever a good thing. Looking at the XM in my pocket, and I can't tell you how many countless times I have opened it, there is ZERO channel in the tang. There is a discoloration, a visible line caused by steel on steel "buffing" but no wear. A guy I met at the range the other day let me play with his Duane Dwyer custom Strider and opening it just didn't feel good. Something was wrong. There was no retention to speak of and it felt gritty throughout the range of motion. When I said as much he pointed out the DEEP channel worn into the tang and I couldn't help but think that that was a problem.

On the Hinderer, and I'm not saying exclusively on Hinderer's, the heat treatment on the blade makes the steel much harder than the steel of the detent ball (which should be untreatd) and, at least in theory, the detent ball should wear out long before doing anything to the blade. A detent ball is easily replaced but a blade is not. IMO this is one of the many facets as to why I loves me my Hinderer's. Does anyone have a channel worn into the tang on their XM? I would be surprised to hear it.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issues. All the ones I've handled feel great. If you don't want it I'll take it:rolleyes:

Does anyone have a channel worn into the tang on their XM? I would be surprised to hear it.

As would I. My XM-24 flies open effortlessly by comparison. My layperson guess here is that the tension from the lock bar is, by design much less on the XM-24 than on my 0550.

I guess I need to take my 0550 apart again to see what's happening because it definitely feels like it's loosening up - which I've attributed to the detent ball wearing a channel with repeated opening and closing. But I suppose some other factor may be at play.

It is way stiff on mine as well. It is so tight that I cannot open it with the stud. I think the issue is the hole for the detent ball is too deep. I reduced pressure by lightly bending the lockbar it helped a little.

It is way stiff on mine as well. It is so tight that I cannot open it with the stud. I think the issue is the hole for the detent ball is too deep. I reduced pressure by lightly bending the lockbar it helped a little.

I tend to think the same thing - when did you get yours?

I'm not sure about the 550, but on the 560/561, the hole for the detent ball is drilled all the way through the blade stock, so depth doesn't really apply. It is my impression that the strength of the detent is regulated by the pre-bend of the lock bar, and possibly by the amount the detent ball protrudes from the back side of the lock bar.

I've had mine 1-2 months. Any pressure on the lockbar, just touching it increases the force required to flip it open. I can't open mine with the blade studs

I got my 0551 yesterday. I really like the knife but am having the same issues. My thumb is all jacked up from trying to open this thing one handed. If I flick it with wrist just right at same time extend thumb it will open, but it's not regular. I'm pretty bummed out about it, it's a great knife but that's a big negative in my opinion.

I got my 0551 yesterday. I really like the knife but am having the same issues. My thumb is all jacked up from trying to open this thing one handed. If I flick it with wrist just right at same time extend thumb it will open, but it's not regular. I'm pretty bummed out about it, it's a great knife but that's a big negative in my opinion.

Just don't go posting in the Kershaw forum suggesting that this is an issue with the knife or you'll have Thomas and his crew all over you. :rolleyes:

If you Google 0550 review, you'll find my review (not a video) where I discuss this in more detail.

My 0550 opens best with the flick method I posted early on. Trying to thumb stud it open is more difficult.

I find the quickest way to deploy every one of the tools I carry. Always hunting for better methods of carry as well as better tools. I found a way to quickly deploy the blade on my 0550 that works for me, I hope everyone else finds a method that works for them.

My 0550 opens best with the flick method I posted early on. Trying to thumb stud it open is more difficult.

I find the quickest way to deploy every one of the tools I carry. Always hunting for better methods of carry as well as better tools. I found a way to quickly deploy the blade on my 0550 that works for me, I hope everyone else finds a method that works for them.

No question - N2K is correct. Thumb studs alone is problematic - incorporating some wrist action simplified things by an order of magnitude.

Just don't go posting in the Kershaw forum suggesting that this is an issue with the knife or you'll have Thomas and his crew all over you. :rolleyes:
Yea, cause we don't know anything...

Oh John, just send the knife in, and I'll take a little looksy for you. Hell I'll send you a call tag so not to put you out. Better yet, I'll send you a new 055X or any other knife that may be of interest to you. I think I still have your addy from the flipping failure you had with the Skyline. You can then finally feel settled and completely satisfied. All your bad little thoughts can then just float away, and you can spend more time enjoying knife life instead of wasting it conspiring in multiple threads on multiple sites on how Kai doesn't know how to build a knife, or there is a flaw with the 055X, or that there is a bigger detent problem than there is, or that Thoms is in denial and is a big stupid bully.

Sounds like a solution? Well unless there is another agenda that you're pushing?

We're here for you RJ, we just want to make you a happy person. :) I so look forward to hearing back from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back