Zt 0562

I just noticed something interesting between the 0562 and 0562cf .The steel lockbar insert has different sizes that actually makes contact with the blade tang.
61ntxMT.jpg
x4Wl6LJ.jpg
No, ZT grinds each one differently during assembly and fitment. That's just normal variance.

I’ve been thumping on my 0562 in Elmax since they were new to market. It was my 5-6 day/week carry and user for over two years. Intentionally left it unserviced. No problems of any kind.

Maybe I need to record a hardcore torture test. Hours of nonstop flipping while I binge watch the Punisher season 2.
Can't wait to watch season 2. Damn the trailer looked badass

No, ZT grinds each one differently during assembly and fitment. That's just normal variance.

I know the vertical height of the insert (in the quoted pictures) varies but I believe the OP is talking about the horizontal length of the insert.

I know the vertical height of the insert (in the quoted pictures) varies but I believe the OP is talking about the horizontal length of the insert.
You mean the part of the insert that sticks up visibly over the edge of the lockbar? That varies. They supposedly grind them to match each individual knife. Only a little bit of it sticks up visibly and that's the part that KAI supposedly adjusts to fit each knife.

OP doesn't seem to know that the lockbar insert is the full width of the lock bar on his knife, and it's that way on all 0562s.

Last edited:
You mean the part of the insert that sticks up visibly over the edge of the lockbar? That varies too. They supposedly grind them to match each individual knife. Only a little bit of it sticks up visibly and that's the part that KAI supposedly adjusts to fit each knife.

OP doesn't seem to know that the lockbar insert is the full width of the lock bar on his knife, and it's that way on all 0562s.

Yes - I am talking about what you said in the 2nd paragraph and I thought the OP as well - the insert should be the full length of the lockbar. But showing in the OPs pix, one 0562 insert is only 1/3 length while the other about half length. Or am I seeing the pix incorrectly?

Yes - I am talking about what you said in the 2nd paragraph and I thought the OP as well - the insert should be the full length of the lockbar. But showing in the OPs pix, one 0562 insert is only 1/3 length while the other about half length. Or am I seeing the pix incorrectly?

What you're seeing is the very end of the lockbar. Since the end of the lockbar is ground for each individual knife from the factory, there's variance as to how much is exposed and what parts are exposed on each knife. The lock bar insert itself is identical between the knives, and that's full size and hidden from view in these pics.

What you're seeing is the very end of the lockbar. Since the end of the lockbar is ground for each individual knife from the factory, there's variance as to how much is exposed and what parts are exposed on each knife. The lock bar insert itself is identical between the knives, and that's full size and hidden from view in these pics.

The lockbar insert is not hidden from view in these pictures. It's right here in red:

G6xNJ1D.png

The lock bar itself has not been ground for lock-fitting these knives, because the lock bar itself never makes contact with the blade. That's the whole point of the insert, and it's why you see the insert protruding above the end of the bar.

Ya’ll had me curious so I just checked and yep my 0562s insert is the full width of the lock bar and then some.

The lockbar insert is not hidden from view in these pictures. It's right here in red:

G6xNJ1D.png

The lock bar itself has not been ground for lock-fitting these knives, because the lock bar itself never makes contact with the blade. That's the whole point of the insert, and it's why you see the insert protruding above the end of the bar.

Take the knife apart and look at it. You'll see what I mean. That's not how wide the lockbar insert is. That's only the bit of it you can see from the outside.

The lockbar insert is what's ground, not the lockbar. Depending on how the grind each insert, more of it or less will stick out. Obviously I don't mean that they're grinding the titanium from knife to knife; I'm just saying "lockbar" generically to mean the entire assembly, including the lockbar insert. But on mobile it's annoying and difficult to elucidate clearly.

Last edited:
To be crystal clear: The appearance of the insert can vary from knife to knife. They are suposedly ground from a blank insert to match each individual knife at the contacting end, hence why they won't generally send inserts out for warranty requests.

As long as they engage on the blade tang and don't slip or rock, there's no issue here. It doesn't matter one bit if yours doesn't look like someone else's.

And since everyone seems to forget this every time this topic comes up, a lockbar shouldn't contact the tang along its entire length. That's how you get lock issues. Frame and liner locks are intended to contact only at a small bit at the outer corner of the lock edge. But don't just take my word for it.

Edited for more clarity.

Last edited:
The insert is the same part. As in, both are just coming from the same box of inserts. It is not fundamentally a different part from 0562 to 0562cf.

It can appear different because the very end is ground different from knife to knife. For example, I had an 0562 that had a different grind on the lockbar insert than the commentary above.

I don't know why this is confusing to you. Are you just pretending to not know what I'm talking about? This has long since gone past the point of useful discussion, so I'm out.

Last edited:
I know this topic is very old and has been discussed a lot but I have had a 0562 in elmax for about 2 years. I love this knife but I also have the CF version that is used a lot more. However I do frequently flip and play with both while watching TV etc. I know about people complaining about the earlier heat treat of some of the elmax from ZT and whether it is true or not I know that they said it was a little soft.

However I came across a post on Instagram where a guy said 3 of his ZT's in elmax cracked by the thumb stud just from flipping it while watching TV. As crazy as that sounds to me, no one really questioned him about it and doesn't make sense to me at all. I don't want to say he is lying but a crack is not subjective. Mine has been fine but I haven't really used it a lot. What do you guys think of cracking just from flipping? Unless he got 3 duds

I wouldn't bother questioning him about his claim either.

To be a bit more helpful, I've had an Elmax 0562 for at least 3 years now, carried it, used it, flipped it many times, no problem. It's one of 2 folders I have in Elmax that have made me like the steel very much for an EDC folder.
My opinion, you have nothing to worry about, your Elmax 0562 will not crack by flipping it a lot, nor is it too soft.

The insert is the same part. As in, both are just coming from the same box of inserts. It is not fundamentally a different part from 0562 to 0562cf.

It can appear different because the very end is ground different from knife to knife. For example, I had an 0562 that had a different grind on the lockbar insert than the commentary above.

I don't know why this is confusing to you. Are you just pretending to not know what I'm talking about? This has long since gone past the point of useful discussion, so I'm out.

Nobody is questioning that the lockbar insert's height on each knife might be ground slightly differently to fit. We are just wondering about the WIDTH of the lockbar insert relative to the width of the lockbar. Are you saying the variations in the loackbar's width shown below are normal for ZT?

0562.jpg

Nobody is questioning that the lockbar insert's height on each knife might be ground slightly differently to fit. We are just wondering about the WIDTH of the lockbar insert relative to the width of the lockbar. Are you saying the variations in the loackbar's width shown below are normal for ZT?

View attachment 1057781

Clearly if those are all real ZT 562s then the differences are normal for ZT. I just checked mine and mine barely sticks up over the top but appears thay the tiny bit that sticks over the top is full width.

Clearly if those are all real ZT 562s then the differences are normal for ZT. I just checked mine and mine barely sticks up over the top but appears thay the tiny bit that sticks over the top is full width.

Looking closely at these three pictures, the lickbar insert actually all appears to have full width (my bad), but somehow the portion inside the red frame seems to be thicker or shinier than the rest for whatever reason. I dont know. Maybe the OP can tell what exactly it is.

View attachment 1057781
Yes. The little bit that sticks up might look different because ZT may not grind it away as much or might grind more away. It all depends on the individual knife and what is needed to match up the insert against the blade tang.

There are a ton of 0562cf clones out there, probably more than the real deal. My guess is some of these pictures would fall into that group. All of my known legit ZT have a full with width lock bar insert that I looked at, including 3 0562s, 0609, 0456 and 0055. The 0055 is milled down from the top/outside some to fit the Ti lock bar shape.

Back