ZT and Kershaw Limited Edition Knives

Hello,

I have not posted here much, but have a question about pricing knives that do not go up for sale often. I have held onto just about every knife I have ever purchased, but am looking to thin out my collection a bit and want to start with two of the knives I think are the most valuable and someone would enjoy having. My wife and I are also expecting our first baby later this month and the money would go a long way when I take a little time off work.

The two knives that I will be parting with are the ZT 0454 and Kershaw The Ruby 4040. Both are limited edition knives and I cannot find what they have been going for. They are both in like new condition, have the original box, and have never been used. I put them up for sale on Ebay. They have some "watchers", but no offers yet. I want to know what would be a fair price for both me and the buyer. The only other ZT 0454 on that bidding site is listed for $1,900, so I put mine up for sale for a few hundred less (no need to be greedy!). For the Kershaw I just arbitrarily picked a price that I thought was fair over the original sticker price of the knife, as I cannot find any currently up for sale.

I would appreciate any input. Thank you

Last edited:
As politely as I can say it, if you actually posted a ZT454 up for $1,500, I can see why no one has made an offer. Those go for far less, from what I've seen. They come up for sale every so often on the Exchange far cheaper. Be careful using Ebay as a pricing guide, because there are plenty of people who have zero idea what they're doing, or they have a vastly inflated idea of what their knives are worth.

I would actually search through completed sales for those knives.

P.S. That guy wanted $1,900 is clearly a doofus, asking that much and still wanting $20 for shipping. LOL Please.

Sorry to break it to you, but a ZT 0454 just sold over there near the end of August (last month) for like $315. A few Rubies sold for slightly more. Good luck.

Thanks, I'm asking because I'm that guy that doesn't know what these knives are currently going for and have an inflated idea of what they are worth! I would not be willing to sell under sticker price for what they originally sold for. I just saw a blog that the guy claimed to win a chance to buy the ZT 0454 when they were first available in 2013 and then sold it for $1,100 the same day. I have not seen any other records of what either of these knives are actually selling for. From what I saw, the sale price for knives that have sold on this forum do not show up in the thread once the sale is complete. I'll take a second look though. If I list them on this site, I want to have a good idea of what they are actually worth so my valuation isn't way off. Thanks for the guidance so far.

Thanks, I'm asking because I'm that guy that doesn't know what these knives are currently going for and have an inflated idea of what they are worth! I would not be willing to sell under sticker price for what they originally sold for. I just saw a blog that the guy claimed to win a chance to buy the ZT 0454 when they were first available in 2013 and then sold it for $1,100 the same day. I have not seen any other records of what either of these knives are actually selling for. From what I saw, the sale price for knives that have sold on this forum do not show up in the thread once the sale is complete. I'll take a second look though. If I list them on this site, I want to have a good idea of what they are actually worth so my valuation isn't way off. Thanks for the guidance so far.

Unfortunately, you kinda missed your window. :(

The time to have gotten maximum return out of these was back around the time they came out and were gone immediately. Today, Zero Tolerance has released so many special versions and limited editions at this point that we're all kind of numb to it. I'd honestly post 'em up in the Exchange for a a few hundred bucks each maybe a bit more and see if you get any bites. The folks who frequent the Exchange have seen it all, and know what things are really "worth" on the secondary market, so you'll either sell the knives, or else someone will PM you with an offer.

Unfortunately, you kinda missed your window. :(

The time to have gotten maximum return out of these was back around the time they came out and were gone immediately. Today, Zero Tolerance has released so many special versions and limited editions at this point that we're all kind of numb to it. I'd honestly post 'em up in the Exchange for a a few hundred bucks each maybe a bit more and see if you get any bites. The folks who frequent the Exchange have seen it all, and know what things are really "worth" on the secondary market, so you'll either sell the knives, or else someone will PM you with an offer.

Thank you Sir, I appreciate it. I have substantially lowered my price on that other website and will post here if no one shows interest. I would possibly do a trade for something I would actually use too.

Thank you Sir, I appreciate it. I have substantially lowered my price on that other website and will post here if no one shows interest. I would possibly do a trade for something I would actually use too.

By the way, I forgot to say it before, but congratulations on the new little one coming up!!

The last few Kershaw Ruby’s that I’ve seen sold have gone for a little less than original sale price. Production knives that appreciate in value enough to be considered “investment” grade are extraordinarily rare. Now, if you can get Nick Shabazz to call it a gem, all bets are off!:p

Also the Ruby was generally disliked when released. Most folks found them garish and billboardy.

Quiet Quiet nailed it on the ZT0454. There was definitely a bubble for that knife; one of the earliest ZT LE’s with some fairly unique materials and manufacturing (at the time). Now it seems the ZT LEs don’t even sell out when released.

Welcome to BF and congrats on the little one!

The last few Kershaw Ruby’s that I’ve seen sold have gone for a little less than original sale price. Production knives that appreciate in value enough to be considered “investment” grade are extraordinarily rare. Now, if you can get Nick Shabazz to call it a gem, all bets are off!:p

Also the Ruby was generally disliked when released. Most folks found them garish and billboardy.

Quiet Quiet nailed it on the ZT0454. There was definitely a bubble for that knife; one of the earliest ZT LE’s with some fairly unique materials and manufacturing (at the time). Now it seems the ZT LEs don’t even sell out when released.

Welcome to BF and congrats on the little one!
Ok, thanks for the confirmation. The ZT just sold and now I just need to find a buyer for the Ruby. Also, thank you for the congrats. We are excited for the little one to arrive!

Back