zt issues http://www.rutherford.org/first_libs/first_liberties.asp

any comments other stories etc.

25. A Lethal Lunch

When Tennessee middle-schooler Cherie Brown packed a butter knife in her lunchbox one morning, she had no idea she was packing a lethal weapon. Cherie planned to use the butter knife to cut her apple, because it was too hard to eat with her new braces. But school officials were unforgiving. Citing the school’s zero tolerance policy, they cast this apple-toting Eve out from school for wielding a weapon. But believing that expulsion was too severe a punishment, Cherie’s Mom fought back. Thankfully, school officials revised the punishment to a four-day suspension. Hopefully, while Cherie is learning her ABCs, school officials will learn that a little common sense goes a long way. The point of law is our Fourteenth Amendment. It guarantees fair treatment, or due process, under the law.

It guarantees fair treatment, or due process, under the law.

Good story, however, minor discrepancy with that last line; it should read "due process OF law." That guarantees fair treatment in court, not necesarilly anything to do with common sense.

Never been to the site you pulled this from, so I can't comment on it, but I was wondering when this happened, and what the mother had to do to have that punishment down-sized. It implies that she actually went to court, but...

don't know the full details either, heard it on the rasio looked it up and linked it. I do know the rutherford institute is like a consevitive version of the aclu.

My son (after strict orders not too) brought his little SAK to school (8th grade) and got in trouble. But, they were really quite reasonable about it. The confiscated the knife, but I can go in and pick it up. He was lectured but not suspended or anything.

Had a friend get caught eating an apple with the blade from one of those swiss army cards, it was deamed incapable of causing major bodily harm, and he can carry it as he pleases now. Many kids have little spyderco's on their knives and what not.

Back