Zulu/Tribal Spear photos requested

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I go in tonight for a sleep study. They put gel in your hair so you can get a good connection to the machines, my hair is as short as this fat guy can get it. Have to use a couple bottles of shampoo to get that stuff out. Anyway, I've gone on a couple of these, I have horrible sleep apnea, and going through this torture test is worth getting a CPAP machine calibrated. Waking up in the middle of the night, disoriented, the tech/nurse told me to go back to sleep for my last one. Yeah right.

So, what does all of this have to do with knives? I want you to post pics of my favorite pattern, the Zulu/Tribal Spear, custom and production. Definitely need to cheer up!

I've got two on order right now, one is the damascus Tribal Spear from Case, and this is sweet, I cannot find a pic from Case, and I can't link to the dealer, I don't believe they're on the list. This one has some really nice damascus on it, my third damascus knife, and some really nice bone scales. The second one is a custom Zulu from Doc Taber. CPM154 blade with forced pocket worn bone covers. I feel like a kid on Christmas. I've already got a custom J Oeser Zulu, CPM154 and micarta covers, and two Tribal Spears. My EDC has ebony, the other has antique bone covers.

Any and all pics are welcomed and appreciated.

This is not my knife, but I ordered a non bolstered version of this knife from Enrique last year. Absolutely top shelf all the way!!! Hope your study goes well, you can dream of this image:

IMG_20150515_132422_hdr_kindlephoto-90297069_zps55kzmrax.jpg

Here's a little more humble one, Medium Barlow Lockback from AG Russell. Cheer up!

_5150009.jpg~original

Good luck with your study.

oeserlockback5.jpg

I don't have a Zulu/Tribal Spear to add to the photos; I don't even know how that blade is defined. But I hope all goes well with your sleep study and you can get on top of your apnea. My wife went through some of that stuff and her CPAP has improved her quality of life substantially! Hope you can say the same soon, Dan! ;):thumbup:;)

- GT

I don't have a Zulu/Tribal Spear to add to the photos; I don't even know how that blade is defined.

A "Zulu Spear", which Case has recently called a "Tribal Spear" is a spear with the point off center. Sort of a cross between a spear and a drop point.

The Case teardrop jack has a "zulu spear" blade.
2015-05-09%2011.42.34_zpsrmvmxiaa.jpg

I go in tonight for a sleep study. They put gel in your hair so you can get a good connection to the machines, my hair is as short as this fat guy can get it. Have to use a couple bottles of shampoo to get that stuff out. Anyway, I've gone on a couple of these, I have horrible sleep apnea, and going through this torture test is worth getting a CPAP machine calibrated. Waking up in the middle of the night, disoriented, the tech/nurse told me to go back to sleep for my last one. Yeah right.

So, what does all of this have to do with knives? I want you to post pics of my favorite pattern, the Zulu/Tribal Spear, custom and production. Definitely need to cheer up!

I've got two on order right now, one is the damascus Tribal Spear from Case, and this is sweet, I cannot find a pic from Case, and I can't link to the dealer, I don't believe they're on the list. This one has some really nice damascus on it, my third damascus knife, and some really nice bone scales. The second one is a custom Zulu from Doc Taber. CPM154 blade with forced pocket worn bone covers. I feel like a kid on Christmas. I've already got a custom J Oeser Zulu, CPM154 and micarta covers, and two Tribal Spears. My EDC has ebony, the other has antique bone covers.

Any and all pics are welcomed and appreciated.

Good luck with the test! I'd lend you my study notes but I slept through the class! ;)

I don't have a Zulu/Tribal Spear to add to the photos; I don't even know how that blade is defined. But I hope all goes well with your sleep study and you can get on top of your apnea. My wife went through some of that stuff and her CPAP has improved her quality of life substantially! Hope you can say the same soon, Dan! ;):thumbup:;)

- GT

What Frank said^^. Here's a bit of history about it...

I have posted this knife before, but can't remember where!!?? My apologies if it is redundant!
In around 1936, Schrade introduced this modified wharncliffe blade. Instead of having a straight edge, the point rises slightly as the edge nears the end of the blade. The arch of the back of the blade has that distinctive Wharcliffe look. It looks cool in a swell center frame!!
When I posted it, someone found a magazine article advertising the Zulu Spear, but I have lost my file on it. Anyway, here is the knife, and the 1936 catalog cut!
Zulu3.jpg

Zulu1.jpg

Zulu2.jpg

ZuluCut.jpg

You can see one rivet was probably overspun, and broke off. Otherwise it's unsharpened/ uncarried.

I hope this isn't out of place. AG Russell calls it a Curved Regular Jack with a "Zulu Spear" blade.

AGR%20curve%20jack%201_zpsnwdcn5vz.jpg

A "Zulu Spear", which Case has recently called a "Tribal Spear" is a spear with the point off center. Sort of a cross between a spear and a drop point.

Thanks for that, Frank. I just learned something. I thought it was just a pointier spear.

Stephen, That Dr. T is awesome. The jig pattern on those covers are incredible. :thumbup:

Back