Zytel Blade Spring Assisted Folder..Spy Gear

IMO, stuff like that invites more trouble than it'll ever save you from. I'm referring to any plastic/G10/CF/non-metal analog for an actual knife. If you want it as a novelty, that's fine, just leave it at home. If the real thing is legal, just carry that. If not, don't carry either, because you don't want to have to explain why you're carrying an illegal item that is disguised as something legal (even if, technically, it is legal).

As for this Blackie Collins assisted letter opener...wtf's the point?

i cant think of a single item with blackie collins's name on it i would want, YMMV though.

as far as the zytel knife i suppose it would be ok for novelty use or opening letters other than that it has -0- uses imho.

i certainly wouldnt wanna have to use one to defend myself lol,

I've actually found the Collins Meyerco offerings to be decent knives for the money. They're low-end but they're a good value.

Once I posted about the most influential 'tactical' folder designers of the 1980's. My list was " Michael Walker, Pat Crawford, Bob Terzuola, Sal Glesser, Ken Onion, Kit Carson, and Ernest Emerson" None other than Sal Glesser chimed in to say that Blackie Collins should be on the list (see post #5).
http://216.26.139.58/forums/showthread.php?p=5543511

i cant think of a single item with blackie collins's name on it i would want, YMMV though.
Blackie Collins designed the Thumb Bolt locking sheath system. I believe it was first used on the Gerber Buddy (or something like that). AG Russell still uses that locking sheath design on his Hunters Scalpel, Bird and Trout, and Deer Hunter models.

I've actually found the Collins Meyerco offerings to be decent knives for the money. They're low-end but they're a good value.
I have two. One is all right, like you said a good value. The other is quite unimpressive.

Blackie Collins has a lot more history in the knife world than people realize. His knives are made by Meyerco.Meyerco is in the process of trying to change it's image. They want to improve their line and are adding higher quality production, example - Darrel Ralph's 18XRay auto. They also are adding some more custom designers to their line up.

The zytel knife was primarily a gimick knife. However, as flimsy as it seems, I was able to stab one into a piece of plywood. You can also give it enough of an edge that it will cut. Maybe only one time, but it will cut. So, would I use one for anything other than to try and destroy? No.

"THERE IS NO STEEL IN THIS KNIFE WHATSOEVER!!! Both blade and handle are constructed of high impact fiberglass reinforced polymer nylon, an indestructible Fibreresin known as Zytel. The blade is made of 30% glass filled nylon 66, and 70% high impact fiberglass reinforced polymer nylon aka Zytel."

You can just get a pencil.They will cut about the same. As far as Blackie Collins, Dirk is right , he goes way back. Don't judge him by his Meyerco stuff . He was a major designer for Gerber and other makers. I believe Blackie started the whole lightweight linerless folders with the Gerber LST & the Boltlock. These folders were revoultionary.

IMO, stuff like that invites more trouble than it'll ever save you from. I'm referring to any plastic/G10/CF/non-metal analog for an actual knife. If you want it as a novelty, that's fine, just leave it at home. If the real thing is legal, just carry that. If not, don't carry either, because you don't want to have to explain why you're carrying an illegal item that is disguised as something legal (even if, technically, it is legal).

As for this Blackie Collins assisted letter opener...wtf's the point?

this type of attitude troubles me :(

i'm in no way advocating any illegal behavior, but - there comes a time when laws are too absurd and restrictive to follow. that time is different for all of us. some of us are content with the way things currently are and follow even the laws that bother us because we view them as a minor inconvenience. others feel it has already gone too far and ignore the laws that interfere with their normal routine.

years ago, i was 19. i was almost attacked by a vicious dog. it was a VERY close call and i had nothing to defend myself. the next morning i rigged up an IWB sheath for a Paki tanto of mine and carried it until i acquired a higher quality blade. i made the decision, when the dog was after me, of which was more important - complying with what someonelse wants me to do, or making my own decisions on how to provide my own safety.

i wonder, if they totally outlawed carrying knives, who still would.

this type of attitude troubles me :(

i'm in no way advocating any illegal behavior, but - there comes a time when laws are too absurd and restrictive to follow. that time is different for all of us. some of us are content with the way things currently are and follow even the laws that bother us because we view them as a minor inconvenience. others feel it has already gone too far and ignore the laws that interfere with their normal routine.

years ago, i was 19. i was almost attacked by a vicious dog. it was a VERY close call and i had nothing to defend myself. the next morning i rigged up an IWB sheath for a Paki tanto of mine and carried it until i acquired a higher quality blade. i made the decision, when the dog was after me, of which was more important - complying with what someonelse wants me to do, or making my own decisions on how to provide my own safety.

i wonder, if they totally outlawed carrying knives, who still would.

I agree with your reasoning completely. I'm not leaving my life up to someone else's idea of how how it should be. I'm a strong believer in conceal and carry. Unfortunately I live in a state where Conceal and Carry is illegal. Fortunately, I don't give a rat's ass. I have a permit to carry a firearm that is good in several other states, and it really irks me that I can't get one in my own state. I carry regardless because I have the right to defend my life should the need arise. We live in a different world today folks. Not sure how many of you are in the U.S. with me, but it's not the same America anymore. We're one shot away from Every Man for Himself. This world has gone crazy.

I've heard this saying many times, "Better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six."

You misunderstand me. Or maybe the way I said it wasn't clear (quite possible). What I mean to say is that carrying a fake knife (which is still potentially dangerous, even lethal), particularly one that is designed to circumvent detection, will likely land you in as much, if not more trouble than the real thing. If it's illegal to carry a metal dagger, and you're carrying a plastic one, and somehow a cop notices, not only will you have to explain why you're carrying a dagger, but also why you're carrying one that will let you slip into certain places (airports, courthouses, etc) without setting off metal detectors.

And Cold Steel, et al advertising "NO METAL!!!!" only exacerbates things.

You probably don't know me well, but if you dig around you'll find that I'm very outspoken on how ridiculous knife (and gun) laws are, and that we should all be allowed to carry whatever we want and need to be protected and protect others. However, I'm also outspoken on not being stupid and putting yourself in more trouble than necessary, and these plastic knives are the epitome of just that.

Carry the best option you have legally. If you can't legally carry what you want where you live, then you need to move the hell out of CA/MA/IL. Just my opinion.

You misunderstand me. Or maybe the way I said it wasn't clear (quite possible). What I mean to say is that carrying a fake knife (which is still potentially dangerous, even lethal), particularly one that is designed to circumvent detection, will likely land you in as much, if not more trouble than the real thing. If it's illegal to carry a metal dagger, and you're carrying a plastic one, and somehow a cop notices, not only will you have to explain why you're carrying a dagger, but also why you're carrying one that will let you slip into certain places (airports, courthouses, etc) without setting off metal detectors.

And Cold Steel, et al advertising "NO METAL!!!!" only exacerbates things.

You probably don't know me well, but if you dig around you'll find that I'm very outspoken on how ridiculous knife (and gun) laws are, and that we should all be allowed to carry whatever we want and need to be protected and protect others. However, I'm also outspoken on not being stupid and putting yourself in more trouble than necessary, and these plastic knives are the epitome of just that.

Carry the best option you have legally. If you can't legally carry what you want where you live, then you need to move the hell out of CA/MA/IL. Just my opinion.

cool :thumbup:

yeah, i'm all in favor of doing what ya can to stay out of trouble. i just misunderstood your post. i took it as advocating total compliance, my bad.

" I believe Blackie started the whole lightweight linerless folders with the Gerber LST & the Boltlock. These folders were revoultionary"

Then he has my thanks! as I have several of each and are very fond of them. In fact the LST Micra is my EDC. and I am pining for a bencmade griptillian to be made flat like the Gerber Bolts - or an axis lock to be put on the Gerber Bolt knives

I agree with your reasoning completely. I'm not leaving my life up to someone else's idea of how how it should be. I'm a strong believer in conceal and carry. Unfortunately I live in a state where Conceal and Carry is illegal. Fortunately, I don't give a rat's ass. I have a permit to carry a firearm that is good in several other states, and it really irks me that I can't get one in my own state. I carry regardless because I have the right to defend my life should the need arise. We live in a different world today folks. Not sure how many of you are in the U.S. with me, but it's not the same America anymore. We're one shot away from Every Man for Himself. This world has gone crazy.

I've heard this saying many times, "Better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six."

let me get this straight, ya have a concealed carry permit for a state ya arent a resident of?? how did ya get that i thought ya had to be a resident??

i have heard of say a TX is good in arkansas IIRC, but didnt know ya could get a permit unless ya were a resident...........

let me get this straight, ya have a concealed carry permit for a state ya arent a resident of?? how did ya get that i thought ya had to be a resident??

i have heard of say a TX is good in arkansas IIRC, but didnt know ya could get a permit unless ya were a resident...........

You can get a permit for Pennsylvania, and it's reckognized in several other states.
Information here: http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=175

I can certainly sympathize; I lived a lot of my life in springfield IL and Chicago. Now I live in Washington state, where any non-felon, non-crazy can get a carry permit after about 5 minutes of paperwork. I just don't think that this product is a very good solution to your dilemma. Is an ASP (telescoping baton) legal for carry? That would be a more effective option.

I used to have an ASP, until I forgot it in a car that I sold, now the new owner has an ASP. :( Oh well, it was one of the, ironically, mall purchased batons. I got it at a shop in our mall here. It was one of the black telescoping ones.
I was mainly looking at the Zytel knife because my brother had commented on it and had said he wanted one. I was thinking about getting him one for his upcoming birthday, provided I can find a way to get some money by then.

I have one in my collection of cheap plastic things. I would say it just a toy not suitable for serious mall ninjas :) It's cheap and low quality.
690aea10911abf34a2.jpg

Back