BK-62…micarta scales or not?

I have taken quite a liking to the BK-62, now the question is, do I upgrade to micarta scales?

Yea or Nay?

Why?

Thanks!

I have both and currently are using the micarta simply because they are great for yard work. Wood is also amazing as it fits the style of the knife. I say buy both and switch them up.

I have both and currently are using the micarta simply because they are great for yard work. Wood is also amazing as it fits the style of the knife. I say buy both and switch them up.

Ditto this. The BK62 is a wonderful knife and you should have two anyway. Adding the micarta scales is good cover for the second knife without being thought of as a hoarder.

I come from a woodworking, and machining background.....

I've been using danish oil on firearms and knives for Many years.

I even use it on micarta for a nice finish.

You will like it.

I do love micarta, however the wood scales on the Kephart are quite nice.
If for some reason you hate the wood then go micarta. Easy peasy.

They aren’t just wood, they are walnut. Walnut is already a premium handle material. IMHO.

M1 Garands, have walnut stocks for a reason.

Last edited:
Walnut is a bit lightweight for knife scales, IMO, and the figure is usually to "big" to be pretty on such small pieces.
That said, it's a lovely dark brown, hand-polishes nice and smooth, and has a great natural feel. I've kept the walnuts on my '62, and have bought quite a few sets of the micartas for "inspired-by" kepharts.

Of all the blocks of discard walnut cut-offs that have come through my hands, only ONE piece has been fancy enough for a custom knife handle. The rest are just "dark wood".

The micarta feels fantastic in a super rugged way, and if you want to spice it up, add some dye. These are Ka-Bar factory '62 scales w/ some leather dye:

IMG_20200501_091706-small.jpg

Last edited:
Walnut is a bit lightweight for knife scales, IMO, and the figure is usually to "big" to be pretty on such small pieces.
That said, it's a lovely dark brown, hand-polishes nice and smooth, and has a great natural feel. I've kept the walnuts on my '62, and have bought quite a few sets of the micartas for "inspired-by" kepharts.

Of all the blocks of discard walnut cut-offs that have come through my hands, only ONE piece has been fancy enough for a custom knife handle. The rest are just "dark wood".

The micarta feels fantastic in a super rugged way, and if you want to spice it up, add some dye. These are Ka-Bar factory '62 scales w/ some leather dye:

IMG_20200501_091706-small.jpg

What leather dye did you use? They look amazing!

Back