Bob Dozier Knives

I just picked up the Folding dagger! What a knife let me tell you this baby is sharp and one mean Mo Fo I love it!!!I probabbly will send it to him later on for a pocket clip....
BTW got the knife at the ECCKS!!!!

I went to ECCKS prepared to buy a canoe or a whittler. I walked out with a personal utility. It just felt 'right'
Now I'm really done for the year. Really...

Has anyone had a chance to use the professional Guide? (Sooner or later I'll get all of Bob's knives anyway. The whole line is interesting to me), is it strong enough for a camp knife?

Jimmy the Jet

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lenny:
I recently sold a Pro Guide's knife and totally regret it.</font>

Look on the bright side Lenny. You made someone else a VERY happy camper!
wink.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Glad you like it Hoodoo.
Gotta give the Doziers a call soon.
I'm going to Maine in June and I think the Pro Guide's knife is gonna be required carry.
Now, why did I sell you that knife?
I forget!
Lenny

I don't own a Dozier, and that's not because I don't love his knives. I never miss a chance at any of the shows to go over and handle his knives and talk to him or Linda, these are very nice people.

Bill Mengel on Chat asked if I would check out Bob's 'Whittler' and "Canoe' to help him decide on which one to get. Bob's table is usually pretty busy so I was looking for Nankano first to ask his opinion. This guy knows as much about Dozier knives as Bob. When I didn't see Kin, I went over and asked Linda to explain the difference between the two knives. I explained I wasn't buying just asking for a friend. It didn't matter to Linda she treated my like I was the customer, not only explaining the differences of the knives but also the possibilities of the sheath configurations.
If you're thinking of getting a Dozier, you can stop thinking about it and get one. If you get the chance to stop by their table at a show, wait for the crowd to thin a little and meet these folks. Bob Dozier is one of those makers that really deserves the die-hard followers he has.

I purchased a Pro Guide model about 6 months ago and haved used it for everything from cleaning fish and game to using it for an all around camp knife.I cannot recommed a better medium size knife for all around use.

I worked in the Morseth Factory owned by A.G. Russell for three (3) years in the early 1990 through 1993.

I really got into the knife business by accident and was sparked by a great maker by the name of Charles Davis the founder of ANZA Knives, and former BUCK Knife Plant manager. Charley Davis was really good to me, and let me hang around his factory for about one year and watch. Another who showed me how to hollow grind with out a jig was D. ‘Holder in Arizona. That set me to making what I called knives, and then I met Bob Dozier in 1990. Bob Dozier gave me my big break by hiring me. Bob Dozier ran the Morseth Factory at this time, and he also manufactured his line of knives there. I would have to say that I have been more influenced by Bob than any other person in the knife industry. I have been honored to be able to work, and study under Bob Dozier. I have eaten at his house many times, and can never repay his knowledge and kindness to me. Although I did want to kill him a few times when I had to remake the same knife ump-teen different times till he liked it!

There have been a lot of good makers either come out of or work at one time or another at the Morseth Knife factory. Such makers not to mention the the owner AG Russell, but there was Gil Hibben, Lloyd Hale, Tom Merringer, and in my opinion the best Bob Dozier. I can't even put my names in the same sentence with these people.

If you want to see some really nice work by Bob Dozier find these out of print books listed below or go to your local library an look them up. You are in for a real treat at some of the most fantastic BOWIE knives, and hunters that Bob and others have done. Sid Latham did a very good study of Bob Dozier in these books. Sid liked Bob and was a good friend of A.G.'s from what I have been told.

I have one of the first knives blades Bob every made in my safe. It was a gift from Bob and I treasure it. It even has his hand signed name on the side. Hell of a gift!

Here they are;
KNIFECRAFT & KNIVES AND Knifemakers, by Sid Latham. I have a paper back and a hardback copy of each. One is signed by a couple of these guys.

Bob Dozier is in my opinion one of the best knife makers alive today. IF you want a knife that is made in the finest traditions of the cutlery industry get a DOZIER MADE KNIFE.

Newt Livesay
cutler
LIVESAY COMBAT KNIVES
www.Newt.Livesay.com

[This message has been edited by Newt Livesay (edited 03-11-2001).]

What a nice tribute for one cutler to make on behalf of another! Newt, you are to be commended for your sincerity. It is times like this that show me why I truly enjoy knife people so much!

AJ

At ECCKS this weekend the Doziers had some of Bob's older knives on the table. Very different from what he makes now. Mirror polished blades, etc.
Interesting stuff, I do like what he does now better though.
Thanks for sharing Newt. I remember a mention of a connection between y'all, but it was never explained. Cool stuff.
Ebbtide out.

That's a great tribute Newt! I'm happy to have a Dozier knife and another on order. Happy also to have a couple of great Livesay knives too! I'll treasure all of them, but I'll use them too!

Wonderful tribute Newt! Thanks for taking the time to let others know just how great Bob is. I'm waiting for my 3rd Dozier and I can say positively that it won't be my last.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

I am not an owner but the Pro camp guides knife looks lovely! I want one of those!

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!
Founding president and member number 1! Wana join?

Great working knives. Not real fancy but built to give you plenty years of use. My son got one first, the K-2 General purpose. I got a K-7 slim outdoorsman with tan and black micarta scales. I talked to Mrs Dozier awhile back about the K-8, but they were out. She said they might have some for the ECCK,which I missed. Now I have to make up my mind on the K-8 semi skinner or the DK-4 folder. Regards, JIM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jimmy the Jet:
Has anyone had a chance to use the professional Guide?... is it strong enough for a camp knife?</font>

That depends on what chores you expect a camp knife to handle. The Pro Guide is a general purpose sheath knife & a great cutting tool. It should deliver top performance for cleaning fish & game as well as food preparation & other camp chores with a minimal amount of sharpening. However, at roughly 8 ounces, it is not a chopper. Although it could be used in a pinch to split firewood into kindling, IMO, you would be better served with a khukuri or ax for those purposes.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PhilL:
I don't own a Dozier, and that's not because I don't love his knives...</font>

Phil, what are you waiting for? As you saw, Bob does use stag of some pieces.
biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PhilL:
...Bill Mengel on Chat asked if I would check out Bob's 'Whittler' and "Canoe' to help him decide on which one to get... I went over and asked Linda to explain the difference between the two knives... she... not only explaining the differences of the knives but also the possibilities of the sheath configurations.
</font>

Please share what you learned with the rest of us. Just because I have a Canoe it doesn't mean I don't need a Whittler.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

I have recently purchased two of Bob's knives and have been extremely impressed. Since I only buy knives that I will use rather than "save" or "collect", I see no reason to buy any other make of knife. They are fantastically sharp and hold an edge better than any other I've seen. Awesome sheaths, too. Plus, the best/friendliest customer service one could ask for.

Any other owners with stories or opinions?

Jet
</font>
I use only Dozier made knives and this is why. They are the best "using" knives made bar none. I have used them exclusively for several years and the cutting ability of them is unsurpassed by any other...especially in that price range!! I own approx. 37 of his blades in both fixed and folders. I have recently obtained two large Trappers(folders) with micarta scales and I pronounce them GREAT!! They may become my favorite knife. One of them is on it's way to Kenny Rowe for a handmade leather sheath. Hard to pick a favorite as I love them all. No better people you will find than Bob and Linda Dozier....I'll take my oath on it!

I have recently purchased two of Bob's knives and have been extremely impressed. Since I only buy knives that I will use rather than "save" or "collect", I see no reason to buy any other make of knife. They are fantastically sharp and hold an edge better than any other I've seen. Awesome sheaths, too. Plus, the best/friendliest customer service one could ask for.

Any other owners with stories or opinions?

Jet
</font>

They are the best value available in a using knife to be found anywhere. It is a great example of getting much more than you pay for.I guess I am a collector of Dozier knives as it has grown to over 35 in both fixed and folders. Nothing compares to the cutting ability when used in the field. I am a hunter and knife user and carry a couple of Dozier knives everyday...especially one very special smooth bone small folding hunter that was given to me as a gift and is my most treasured Dozier knife for sure. No better people to be found than Bob and Linda Dozier and I'll take my oath on it!!

The two I own are the Elk Hunter w/ 5.75 blade and the Yukon Pro Skinner. Next will be the Slim Outdoorsman. Any other suggestions?

Jet
</font>
The Slim Outdoorsman is a great knife....I have two standard and one modified. They are used alot. The Dozier Personal in both configurations are fantastic utility blades and I carry one in a handmade sheath everyday. The Canoe and Whittler are also nice to have as is the Small Game, which is a modified Whittler. I like Bob's folders...especially the Folding Hunter and the Trapper. My next folder will be a Dozier Dagger with false edge sharpened and a pocket clip. I am sold on them and find they are ideal for my needs.

Chuck,
Did I meet you at ECCKS in NY at the Dozier's table? If it is... it was a pleasure and I'm really enjoying my new personal utility (got it on now)
And if it wasn't you there, you should've been!
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ebbtide:
Chuck,
Did I meet you at ECCKS in NY at the Dozier's table? If it is... it was a pleasure and I'm really enjoying my new personal utility (got it on now)
And if it wasn't you there, you should've been!
smile.gif
</font>

Yes, that was me! I had a great time and can't wait for the November show. If you make it to the guild show in July I will see you there. I am trying to make the Blade show....but it may be iffy. Hope you enjoy your Dozier knives as much as I do. Thanks again

Back