Bob Dozier Knives

I have a Dozier T-1 folder on order basically on Bob's reputation. I orginally bought Knives and Knifemakers in the 70's and have always wanted one of Bob's collector knives. I told his wife, if he wants to make one for me, call. I suspect I will buy one or two of his fixed blades after the T-1 arrives.Dick

I,m curious if any of you Dozier Elk Hunter owners feel this is a suitable general camp knife, ie: slicing, dicing,whittling, and perhaps splitting small (2") billets of wood for fire wood?
Thanx..Ravenn

------------------
Age, and treachery , will always win out over youth and skill!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jimmy the Jet:
Hey Chuck
Any chance of a photo of the Small Game Knife? Or where I could see one online?

Regards

Jet
</font>

I may possibly be able to post a picture of the Small Game. It is not on the website as of yet. You may be able to get some info. from this description. The knife is essentially a Whittler with a slightly shorter blade and rounded tip for small game needs. It does not have the drastic point as the Whittler does...but does maintain the handle length and shape. It is a neat little blade and the available neck sheath makes it suitable for things other than small game.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ravenn:
I,m curious if any of you Dozier Elk Hunter owners feel this is a suitable general camp knife, ie: slicing, dicing,whittling, and perhaps splitting small (2") billets of wood for fire wood?
Thanx..Ravenn

</font>
IMO the large Elk Hunter would be suitable for most if not all of what you described. The blade is certainly heavy enough for any large game chore. Although it was not intended to be a "chopper" ....I feel certain that is circumstances dictate that it be used for such that it would fair far better than most. Have you seen the Dozier Axe/Hatchet? It is really nice and is made from A2 for better striking strength. They are worth the $275 and come with a really trick kydex sheath with drop style nylon strap belt loop. It was designed as a small camp tool...but would be well suited for skinning very large game and as a defensive tool for lifes unexpected encounters...be that all you had! I don't own one yet ...but that shall be only temporary as I know where one is!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bcaffrey:
Please share what you learned with the rest of us. Just because I have a Canoe it doesn't mean I don't need a Whittler.
</font>

Okay, the Whittler is a little larger and has finger grooves and is normally done with tan scales and a clippoint blade. The Canoe is the more popular of the two and a little more expensive. I'm not into neck knives, but it seems the Canoe would be better for that type of carry.

Brian, of course you need a Whittler....you silly man.
wink.gif

I need a Dozier too, I fell in love with this white bone folder that Linda showed me. I need to get that one done in stag, I just don't know when?

Thanks for the Whittler info, Phil.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

He who finishes with the most toys wins.

I recently purchased a Dozier Dagger. Of all the Doziers I've owned, this is by far and away, the best. Large, yet it seems almost weightless. Excellent construction, and of course, great edge geometry. Truly a special knife.

Is that Bob's new folding dagger that you got, Bladelaw, or a FB? In addition to having some of his early knives at the ECCKS last week, as Ebbtide mentioned, Bob is now also producing some of his earlier models. For those who may not have seen my post in The Gallery, here's a Model 6 with ivory micarta that I picked up at the show:

<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=185132&a=1406520&p=43302196&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A> <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=185132&a=1406520&p=43294315&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A> <A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=185132&a=1406520&p=43294313&Sequence=0&res=high" TARGET=_blank>
Thumbnail
</A>

It has a 3 7/8" blade with sharpened swedge and is larger than most of his current tactical FBs. It is shown in the third picture above with my Arkansas Toothpick for comparison purposes.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

Hi guys, just couldn't pass this one up. I have four Doziers and another on order. However, the mention of the "Small Game Knife" is really interesting. That sounds as if that is exactly what I'm looking for. Could someone post a pic or direct me to a pic somewhere else on the web? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Bladelaw. I thought I might have missed a FB pattern. I've handled his folding dagger at a couple of shows & it is a real beauty. I know what you mean by your "weightless" comment. It is surprisingly light for it's size. Bob also has a great blade-to-handle ratio on this piece.

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GC:
...the mention of the "Small Game Knife" is really interesting... Could someone post a pic or direct me to a pic somewhere else on the web?</font>

I'd like to see a pic of Dozier's "small game" also.

When I think of a "whittler" style fixed blade, I think of the "Loveless Whittler" and the Dozier Whittler designs that AG Russell sells.

I think all of the following from AG would make anywhere from a good to an excellent small game knife depending on whether you like drop/clip/straight, and what game you think are small (e.g. rabbit, squirrel, small/medium fishies...actually I like a 4" fillet knife for fish):
* Loveless whittler
* Splinter picker
* Caper Finn (another Loveless)
* Gent's hunter (narrow drop point, Loveless again)

http://www.agrussell.com/agrussell/aghandmade.html

AG Russell also sells some of Dozier's stuff, most interestingly a few that Bob doesn't show in his own catalog or web page ... all of these would make anything from a good to an excellent small game knife also depending on your preferences:
* Canoe
* Slim Outdoorsman
* Straight personal
* Whittler (too clipped for me)

http://www.agrussell.com/dozier/index.html

Back to Dozier's page for a couple that haven't been mentioned that would make anywhere from good to excellent small game knives:
K1 General Utility (a bit wide)
K4 Straight Hunter (a bit wide)
K6 Companion (not much belly, plenty of drop)
K7 Slim Outdoorsman (great all around)
K8 Simi Skinner (my fav for small hunter)
K9 Personal Utility (too clipped for me)

http://www.dozierknives.com/

Dozier's designs look simple. That's just because they are simply refined a great deal, no clutter, no useless "features". I appreciate this more now than when I "discovered" Dozier maybe 4 years ago.

Did I mention his Kydex sheaths are among the best in the biz, most secure, and have a nice snap-in, and a clever snap-out retention feature?

[This message has been edited by rdangerer (edited 03-18-2001).]

Another one of those Doziers sold exclusively (I think) thru A.G. Russel is his "Master Hunter". Its a drop point very wide, ultra-hollow ground skinner ideally suited for medium to larger game. A beautiful knife, its belly is enhanced in that the knife widens slowly from the base to its widest point just at the start of the belly area providing the most curved linear edge for the over all blade width possible. Most specialized piece anywhere near its size that I own, and so light (even though the handle is made for a big hand) that I wouldn't hesitate to carry it along with a more general purpose camp knife, and save it for its specialized skinning role.

This thread is one of the reasons that I keep coming back to these forums. In light of other threads like the one about, "Most respected..." it's is very nice to see one about the polar opposite sort of guy. I don't care how many people copy your design, does not mean you're the most respected.
Anyway, glad I have one of THIS maker's work!
There will be more.

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Sebenzanista

Originally posted by rdangerer:
I'd like to see a pic of Dozier's "small game" also.

When I think of a "whittler" style fixed blade, I think of the "Loveless Whittler" and the Dozier Whittler designs that AG Russell sells.

I think all of the following from AG would make anywhere from a good to an excellent small game knife depending on whether you like drop/clip/straight, and what game you think are small (e.g. rabbit, squirrel, small/medium fishies...actually I like a 4" fillet knife for fish):
* Loveless whittler
* Splinter picker
* Caper Finn (another Loveless)
* Gent's hunter (narrow drop point, Loveless again)

http://www.agrussell.com/agrussell/aghandmade.html

AG Russell also sells some of Dozier's stuff, most interestingly a few that Bob doesn't show in his own catalog or web page ... all of these would make anything from a good to an excellent small game knife also depending on your preferences:
* Canoe
* Slim Outdoorsman
* Straight personal
* Whittler (too clipped for me)

http://www.agrussell.com/dozier/index.html

rdangerer: I sure want to thank you for including me in this thread. By the way, I have know Bob Dozier for 30 years and I feel free to say that Bob is one of the World's great knifemakers. He has always been one of the most generous people in this business. He has helped many makers. He builds the finest grinder in the knife industry. BUT Bob is even less adept at computers than I am, I hope that he is seeing all the above, this has to be like going to a knife show and haveing every knife on your table sell in the first hour or so. Wow. What a great thread.

A. G.

I just picked up an Arkansas Toothpick from a fellow forumite that was delivered today, and it is a honey. Sharp, comfortable, and I really like the red micarta inlay in the black handle.

After reading the postings these past few weeks regarding Dozier Knives, I feel that I must respond to you, my customers and friends. I am humbled by your comments (and I am not a man who is easily humbled). Words cannot adequately express how gratifying it is to know that my knives are serving you well in their intended functions. I want to thank you sincerely for buying and using my knives.
Best regards,
Bob Dozier

Hey! Welcome to the forum!
wink.gif

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Sebenzanista

Hello Bob & welcome. It's great to see you here on BF. Now that you've decloaked, I hope to see more of your posts.
wink.gif

For anyone who might be interested, I put together a little screen show of my Doziers on PhotoPoint for your viewing pleasure. Bob, I hope you don't mind my borrowing your picture for the intro.
wink.gif

------------------
Cheers,
Brian

Back