CBSA (Canadian border services agency) cracking down on folders entering Canada

Just usps'd one yesterday, and they had a new (to me) question/notification about 'weapons'. It was after the question about dangerous items (lithium, flammable liquids, etc..). Last time you just had to click no for those, but now you have to click a yes on the touchpad for this new one.

I was going to say the same thing, essentially. I'd only add that, generally speaking, our knife laws as they are enacted within the country are fairly permissive.
Still filled with nonsense though. For example, ballisong and automatic knive are specifically named in the law and forbidden, you could be criminally charged if found in possession of on of those. Why? What criminal act could you perform using one of those, but not with your plain old kitchen knife exactly?

Still filled with nonsense though. For example, ballisong and automatic knive are specifically named in the law and forbidden, you could be criminally charged if found in possession of on of those. Why? What criminal act could you perform using one of those, but not with your plain old kitchen knife exactly?
Not that I disagree with you, but IIRC at the time, commonly available locking folding knives that could open quickly and with one hand were essentially all automatics up until some time AFTER automatically opening knives were banned. The law hasn't really been updated since then, and I share the opinion with many others that that lawmakers were never given the same political reason to ban manual knives as they were to automatic (there wasn't the same kind of media circus... Bit of convoluted history there).

As a side note, I'm not sure that balisongs are specifically named in the criminal code, but typical examples certainly fall under "automatic", while examples like the Cold Steel Paradox do not, as it has slip joint style springs keeping it closed.

Not that I disagree with you, but IIRC at the time, commonly available locking folding knives that could open quickly and with one hand were essentially all automatics up until some time AFTER automatically opening knives were banned. The law hasn't really been updated since then, and I share the opinion with many others that that lawmakers were never given the same political reason to ban manual knives as they were to automatic (there wasn't the same kind of media circus... Bit of convoluted history there).

As a side note, I'm not sure that balisongs are specifically named in the criminal code, but typical examples certainly fall under "automatic", while examples like the Cold Steel Paradox do not, as it has slip joint style springs keeping it closed.
My bad, the law doesn't say ballisong, but butterfly type of opening.

And yeah, laws aren't generally passed because they make sense, but to appease the public(the mob), and to appear to be doing something. Which arc back to my previous point, we are run by people with the iq of a retarded snail.

I watched Kevin’s video when it posted. He made it sound like it was limited to a postal thing.
I’m making a land crossing in to Canada in the coming weeks.
I wonder if they’re going to ask about it?
I’ve been questioned about switch blades before, but that’s all, knife-wise.
I hope I don’t have to surrender my Delica.

Ground crossing at Roosevile (eastern BC).
I was only asked if I had firearms or weapons, or more than $140 usd (that’s 10,000 cdn, right?). …Sorry guys, I couldn’t resist the low-brow…I love you, my northern brethren!…😁

No mention of knives or swithcblades in specific this time through. My Delica had the pivot tight and made the crossing in my tool box, just to be safe.

I had an awesome time in Fernie, like always.

Ground crossing at Roosevile (eastern BC).
I was only asked if I had firearms or weapons, or more than $140 usd (that’s 10,000 cdn, right?). …Sorry guys, I couldn’t resist the low-brow…I love you, my northern brethren!…😁

No mention of knives or swithcblades in specific this time through. My Delica had the pivot tight and made the crossing in my tool box, just to be safe.

I had an awesome time in Fernie, like always.
Taking shots at our pesos is loww man 🤣

My Pyrite just arrived here on the West Coast. It shoild be in my hands probably early next week.

That would be worse.
I hate having to know each state's laws when I go there. The knife that I can carry in Michigan can get me arrested in Chicago.
I don't want that headache here.

Once I know what the stupid laws currently are here, I know that the same stupid laws are in place across the whole land. No annoying surprises.
The beauty of that in the USA is if you don't like one of the state's laws, you can move to another state with different laws. I moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania because of the freedoms allowed in Pennsylvania versus Maryland.

Reactions: DMG
An update, I got my Titanium Pyrite and an order of knife parts from BladeHQ, from 6 weeks ago.I should mention that it spent 5 weeks in Customs.I also have another order from them, this time it contains a pocket knife and it been a month since shipped.

Good thing they’re doing their part punishing these evil, cruel and ugly knife owners, we’ll soon achieve world peace thanks to these beautiful, people-oriented, totally not obtuse and irrational, measures. What are you gonna do now that knives are illegal, uh criminals? Checkmate.

Oh no no no no, stiletto and balisong scary and bad, me politician see weird knife from 60’s mob movies, so bad.

My Pyrite just arrived here on the West Coast. It shoild be in my hands probably early next week.
All knife owners need to move to a US red state to find true fulfilment in their lives. Lowkey future life plan lol.

This is about the CBSA taking personal opinionated decisions on what's Coming in... not our federal laws and the enforcement of what's in our pockets thats the issue here.

This is about the CBSA taking personal opinionated decisions on what's Coming in... not our federal laws and the enforcement of what's in our pockets thats the issue here.
Nope. There are ruling precedent, as in appeal ap-2017-012 as can be viewed here https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/cn-ad/cn18-01-eng.html

It's quite the opposite, if your knife goes through at the border, or you're aren't arrested for carrying your beloved flipper, then you are the beneficiary of a judgement call made in your favor against the law.

And who's determined what strength this "flick of the wrist " has behind it.. it's a matter of opinions when it comes down to it...

And who's determined what strength this "flick of the wrist " has behind it.. it's a matter of opinions when it comes down to it...
Nothing in the current Canadian knives law make any kind of sense, or serve any purpose whatsoever. My point was that we can't just sit idly on the idea that "it doesn't apply to me", because at one point it very well could, and a law abiding citizen could find himself on the wrong side of the law through no fault, or any criminal intent whatsoever, of his own.
It's my strong opinion that those laws need to be off the book, period.

The CBSA agent performing the test.

Also note they get as many tries as they want and can partially open the knife before the flick.

Back