Clips for pocket sheaths? Mummert, Ulti clip, etc

SwissHeritageCo

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I see a lot of different styled clips for pocket sheaths, ulti clips and mummert clips seem to be most peoples favorite. I'm wondering if anyone has found something in between the aforementioned and the really cheap ones (that also tend to look cheap)? It would be nice to incorporate something that doesn't automatically equate to a $20 upcharge but then again maybe people prefer the expensive ones for good reason.

I'm also curious which clips people find the most practical in actual use, so any input would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve converged to either Mummert or HB Discreet Carry Clips. Real easy to use (also in the dark), and rock solid. Both around 20 bucks though.

Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the HB Discreet Carry clip you're referring to?

Search results are showing me a few different styles for DC.

Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the HB Discreet Carry clip you're referring to?

Search results are showing me a few different styles for DC.

Actually, Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery introduced me on one of his sheaths:

i-SjJbZV4-X2.jpg

Come to think of it, there are similar clips from HolsterSmith that are just as good if the hole pattern fits, and that are cheaper, if I remember right:

i-dDx4xTg-X2.jpg

i-8gkFQ52-X2.jpg

The above is Model 5, I think, and HolsterSmith or KnifeKits also offer discounts if you buy several.

Last edited:

i-SjJbZV4-X2.jpg

Come to think of it, there are similar clips from HolsterSmith that are just as good if the hole pattern fits, and that are cheaper, if I remember right:

i-dDx4xTg-X2.jpg

i-8gkFQ52-X2.jpg

The above is Model 5, I think, and HolsterSmith or KnifeKits also offer discounts if you buy several.

Thanks for taking the time to post this! I have some on the way for testing :)

Mummert is really nice also on larger knives to tuck outside of pants and over a belt and allows for lots of positions. Keep in mind the position you plan to carry to order the correct one for carry position preference. As stated the ulti clips will tighten down on really thin materials like running shorts but will take a toll. DCC are very snug and I put a small paracord fob on one to make it easier to release tension when removing.

Mummert is really nice also on larger knives to tuck outside of pants and over a belt and allows for lots of positions. Keep in mind the position you plan to carry to order the correct one for carry position preference. As stated the ulti clips will tighten down on really thin materials like running shorts but will take a toll. DCC are very snug and I put a small paracord fob on one to make it easier to release tension when removing.

They are tough...Hurtz my wuss fingers sometimes removing it from my pocket.😱

I've had good results with the bent metal clips from knife kits. I don't think they're a supporter so I can't drop a link, but they look like this. I think there are some slimmer ones as well. I like basic spring clips, and I'm starting to like these more than ulticlips as they are easier to get off the pants' pocket. The ulticlip likes to snag the hem.

shclp_m1_bk_nh_1_1500.jpg

For our Boot sheaths which could and do double as a pocket sheath we use the bent metal one above. For our IWB holsters where the holster coming along for the ride when the pistol is drawn could be detrimental, we use the Ulti Clip. We sell a BUNCH of each of these designs. must be working well for the intended purpose.

It's actually not the first time I've heard about the Ulti Clips being textile destroyers, but it makes total sense about them being used for holsters.

I've got some DCC's on the way but I'm also going to try out the clips bikerector bikerector posted. I had only ever seen them in shiny slick black which looked cheap, but that somewhat matte black looks a lot better and more scratch resistant.

Great replies, exactly what I needed to know. Thank you.

I've had good results with the bent metal clips from knife kits. I don't think they're a supporter so I can't drop a link, but they look like this. I think there are some slimmer ones as well. I like basic spring clips, and I'm starting to like these more than ulticlips as they are easier to get off the pants' pocket. The ulticlip likes to snag the hem.

View attachment 2552688
Tandy Leather has those.

i-SjJbZV4-X2.jpg

i-dDx4xTg-X2.jpg

i-8gkFQ52-X2.jpg

I've received some clips and I'm doing some testing, but it strikes me that outside of the mummert clips on a few photos of pocket sheaths... that I've never really seen them worn.

I'm curious how you wear the clipped sheaths that are obviously too big for your pocket. Like that big one on the bottom for instance?

Edit: scratch that request ferider ferider , Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery hooked me up with some pics of his work ;) Thanks Coleman!

Last edited:
Thanks for all this information and starting the thread, I’ve been wanting to build a holster for pocket carry for quite some time, now I’m going to try it. Just have to figure which clip, and how to mount it on the holster.

Back