CRK fans call to arms.

The $600 limit then get taxed is suppose to go into effect for this tax year 2024. Last I heard anyways.

That is my main reason for not accepting G&S. Screw the gov, I'm not paying tax on something I have already been taxed on.

If someone doesn't want to use FF then I will accept a check and ship after it clears.

I do want to say that there are a lot of us here that are friends and do a lot of buying and selling from the PM behind the scenes. I honestly will continue to deal with private sales this way if both parties agree. I will not however take it to the exchange.
This is what I was referencing in my first post... Off exchange dealings are a bit easier to get a feel for.

The $600 limit then get taxed is suppose to go into effect for this tax year 2024. Last I heard anyways.

That is my main reason for not accepting G&S. Screw the gov, I'm not paying tax on something I have already been taxed on.

If someone doesn't want to use FF then I will accept a check and ship after it clears.
Having a competent preparer is key, computer programs don't ask the right questions.

I do want to say that there are a lot of us here that are friends and do a lot of buying and selling from the PM behind the scenes. I honestly will continue to deal with private sales this way if both parties agree. I will not however take it to the exchange.
Friends or no, I don't post claims in ads & I close my ads so people can't do it in mine. There are several reasons, which I have posted a few times, but this sort of thing just adds to my conviction.

I always refused to use F&F (for a while I wouldn't sell to people that insisted on it in their ads). Doesn't matter now, since I closed my PayPal account before the mass shift associated with the tax change. I haven't found anything yet that I wanted badly enough to open another. (Though I was disappointed that the option to pay as a guest was nowhere to be found when I tried to join BCCI, and they never responded to my message seeing other options)

Last edited:
I disagree. If sellers remove all reference to their emails, the buyers won't have a clue when they get contacted by those people.
Im not sure I understand what you are saying?

Im cool with G&S and will always accommodate.

Im just curious why so many wont ship across the border even when I offer a label or a FedEx/UPS account.. Makes me le sad.

But what every single member on here should be required to do is 2FA. This would greatly cut down on the scammers.

I think the biggest thing that scares people is just the commercial invoice, which in itself is SOOOOOOPER easy.
I always thought it was the customs form. The shipping label F Froggy114 sent me for my Zaan even had that included in it. It was awesome, I just taped it to the box and handed it to the post office chick and Bobs your uncle!

International shipping is easy...but, after a few bad experiences, I no longer send folders - fixed blades only.
CSBA confiscated 2 folders I sent to Canada...I never heard from either buyer about the outcome of their appeals.

Folks, I called Spark last night and suggested the banner and putting up some guidelines on the site. I suggested more than has been put up, but it's a good start.

If you have left references to your personal information...email, phone number, PayPal account, etc...on your profile pages and conversations there, the crooks are finding that information following your posting in a thread in which you post that you have sent a PM or other communication.

They will reach out with an email disguised to look like it came from the seller and tell you where to send funds. If you comply, you've been had. Let's not make it easier for the miscreants. Go through your profile and remove private information.

We can only do so much...and only have so many hours in a day to do it.

I know another thing that throws some people through a loop with dealing with some people up here is depending where they are located there is a lot of freight holding businesses near the boarder on the US side that will hold stuff for Canadians who drive across and pick their shit up and self declare at the border. I do this a lot with automotive parts and even have it as a shipping address in my pp.

Like for my self. Mikes parcel (https://mikesparcelpickup.com)and Pembina parcel (https://pembinaparcel.com/) are two I use quite a bit and are located in ND about 5 minutes passed the CA/US boarder

From an article dated 2/11/24:
For your 2024 taxes (which you'll file in 2025), the IRS is planning a phased rollout, requiring payment apps to report freelancer and business owner earnings over $5,000 instead of $600. The hope is that raising the threshold will reduce the risk of inaccuracies while also giving the agency and payment apps more time to work toward the eventual $600 minimum.

The other thing that people love to ignore about this new rule is that if you sell for a loss, you won't be taxed. You might have to prove that you sold for a loss, but that shouldn't be hard with all the digital footprints of these transactions. If you're selling for profit on marketplaces like BF, you should be taxed on that profit and I don't have a problem with it.

From an article dated 2/11/24:

The other thing that people love to ignore about this new rule is that if you sell for a loss, you won't be taxed. You might have to prove that you sold for a loss, but that shouldn't be hard with all the digital footprints of these transactions. If you're selling for profit on marketplaces like BF, you should be taxed on that profit and I don't have a problem with it.

You don't have a problem with getting taxed? Should I not be able get a refund if I sell for a loss then? No disrespect but it seems that this country and the outrageous tax bills we get are primarily the cause of people not having a problem getting taxed...

I want to start by saying I love this community and will do whatever deemed necessary to try and protect what has been built here. However, I think the move to only G&S is tough. To me it’s an assessment of risk and how much you are willing to accept. Sadly we have to factor in the “is this a scam” with each buy/sale today. To me if the risk seems too high for whatever reason, price too good to be true, pictures poor, new member, etc. then I deem the risk too high and pass. If I deem the risk acceptable then I proceed, the caveat being if I send funds, I accept that the money “could” be lost forever and I will be out the product. It’s not ideal but a risk I am willing to accept and like mentioned before, if not I pass.

I have no experience with G&S and having to request a fraud claim with PP but I question how smooth getting your money back would truly be? If it’s smooth and easy good on them and the 3% fee would be well worth it.

The comments of 2FA I fear would be underutilized in its intention. The accounts in question with weak password security are using the same email for their second factor and it has already been compromised. If you’re using it “correctly” and using another email or phone you likely already have good password security. However, Any extra layer of security is a good thing.

Overall I think this is a risk assessment between the two parties involved with the deal. If both feel comfortable with Friends and Family than I say Godspeed. If you prefer paying the 3% to PayPal to utilize purchase protection than you should do that. I think it will be a case by case assessment for me personally.

I understand the situation for a seller to use FF only, however, as a buyer, I refuse to not to be protected to some degree that gives me peace of mind. Not only are there scammers but people that misrepresent knives, folks flake out and someone is the victim. People have had several deals with someone just to find out it was a setup to scam the good people. ( i.e. Balls To the walls)
So no, I do not use FF.
The way I approach a seller is to send a PM which buys some time to check out the post history of the seller. Usually, if they're a contributing member here and not here just to use this place as a market outlet, they'll take G.S. in a PM that is sent.
If anyone refuses GS, I will not buy.

Folks, I called Spark last night and suggested the banner and putting up some guidelines on the site. I suggested more than has been put up, but it's a good start.

If you have left references to your personal information...email, phone number, PayPal account, etc...on your profile pages and conversations there, the crooks are finding that information following your posting in a thread in which you post that you have sent a PM or other communication.

They will reach out with an email disguised to look like it came from the seller and tell you where to send funds. If you comply, you've been had. Let's not make it easier for the miscreants. Go through your profile and remove private information.

We can only do so much...and only have so many hours in a day to do it.
Wow. The lengths people go to. Seems simpler to learn a trade and get a job. We've lived in a comparative buying and selling paradise, but now the serpent is in the garden.

You don't have a problem with getting taxed? Should I not be able get a refund if I sell for a loss then? No disrespect but it seems that this country and the outrageous tax bills we get are primarily the cause of people not having a problem getting taxed...

I don't have a problem with people getting taxed when selling items for profit in a secondary marketplace, no. If you're doing that enough for it to warrant complaining about, you're a flipper and I don't support you in general, and maybe the taxation will drive you to a less scummy way of making money. If you buy and sell knives on a regular basis, selling them on the secondary market for a loss is part of the game. You also have the option to keep them. I was not making a statement about my belief on taxes as a whole nor am I looking to start that conversation here.

Back