Daughter's first knife?

Crag the Brewer

I make Nice, boring knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My ten-year old daughter is an outdoorsy kind of gal, and wants a knife.

I've always been a knife guy, and have carried one since I was eight years old, even in school (but times were different then)......

I have an outdoor fireplace of sorts and have regular fires, often many times a week. I find nothing more relaxing than cooking, having a drink and tending the fire after a long day at work...... This has brought a new love for battening wood! :)

Knowing she likes to help dad with feeding the fire and splitting wood, I think it's time for her to get her first Real knife, and I'd like it to be a Becker.

My first thought was a either new, or slightly used BK-9?
I know that sounds crazy, but I feel bigger might be better.... easier to see, easier to hit, larger blade to keep away from ya....and so on.

She uses my BK-5 pretty well, but I asked her opinion about it, and she commented that the handle is a little large. This has me changing my thought to maybe a "tweaner" perhaps a BK-16? (because I can't find a reasonable BK-15)

I'd appreciate your thoughts on what Your kids experiences were?

This will be a Stay at Home knife, used only with Dad around.

Thank you.

BK16 (stock) vs BK11 (slightly modified)
xvKaAQf.jpg

As previously mentioned, there are micarta scales available for the BK11.

Re: the BK11 mods - fixed handle to better fit my hand (expanded front finger groove), and slight adjustment of blade shape. I do have an untouched 11; but it might make Tanker 1/66 whine a little if I post it. Maybe somebody that has the micarta handles will post a pic of theirs.
Oh - the BK11 blade is the same as that of the BK14, if that helps.

Last edited:
xvKaAQf.jpg

Re: the BK11 mods - fixed handle to better fit my hand (expanded front finger groove), and slight adjustment of blade shape. I do have an untouched 11; but it might make Tanker 1/66 whine a little if I post it. Maybe somebody that has the micarta handles will post a pic of theirs.
I brought some cheese
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153781516@N05/[/url

Well as this is the Becker Forum of the Becker Line the full tang BK16 is in production. And get her micarta handle scales for slippage reductions, most fathers find it worth it for daughters. :D

Also a good lock back type folder, Buck 112 or 110 there are a lot of variations of them for example. (Also an example for a folder.) And or also a multi-tool to keep her fully prepared. :cool:

If you can wait a bit maybe the Bk62 will hit the market. If not..then I would pick up the 16. Hell I'd pick up a 16 anyways.

I'm definitely going to nab a Bk62. If it does come out a couple weeks before.... I guess we will see? It would be fun to compare.

xvKaAQf.jpg

Gosh, that's a big difference...thanks for the comparison.
I'm beginning to think the BK-16 isn't That little....ha

Thank you, sir.

The thing with Beckers is once you get one, you inevitably get another, and then another. Theyā€™re that good. :thumbsup:

I know you've got a 5... do you have any other BKs? I'll be happy to post other comparisons.

No...unfortunately I only have the 5.....

I might of paid for a 4, but I need to see if I was screwed over by a questionable website, and I need to see my credit card statement....... They Never shipped it, but told me they told me they did. Ha/Ugh!

I like big knives.
I will Definitely buy a Bk-21 soonish.

Not sure if a nine is going to make me happy?
Maybe if I can find one that somebody doesn't want?
(Our dog is from the pound, and I love Her so......so ya never know?)

Thank you, sir.

The thing with Beckers is once you get one, you inevitably get another, and then another. Theyā€™re that good. :thumbsup:

I for sure like a few...... Just wish I knew Sooner!

Back