Daughter's first knife?

BK11 or 14.
Here’s the 11 with micarta. Wonderful knife.

gBuBkq0.jpg

Someone that used to frequent the forums used to say that, and it just kinda caught on, haha.

Someone that used to frequent the forums used to say that, and it just kinda caught on, haha.
I'll probably have one this next year.....it Does look almost like a short gladiator sword... :)

I just know when I buy one, they will release the bigger version that I want!

The BK9 is a hell of a knife. My all time most used blade. People get tired of seeing this photo, but, here it is anyways, haha:

Correct me if I'm wrong......was it you who didn't care for the 21?
Wonder why the 21 wasn't what you hoped for?
(To me) it looks like a bigger version of the 4?
Which sounds Amazing!!!!!

Maybe I look at my knife purchases incorrectly, but I want a step up with each purchase..

I have the kabar Adventures Parangatang.....
Great blade! ....but I can't speak enough negative things about the handle.....Seriously!......I'm in the process of tweaking it.

If someone has both that, and the BK9...... I'd love comparisons. Does the BK9 batten better?
Thanks. :)

To bad about not getting a BK4, they are more versatile than a 9. And a 9 is a pretty dang useful thing.

Edicus:
One thing I found out about the high saber grind 9 is well I didn't need to get a Jungulassthingy, as the BK larger knives have a great handle and pummling pommel. Oh and it can do small knife stuff to, not as good as a 4 but goodly enough.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong......was it you who didn't care for the 21?
Wonder why the 21 wasn't what you hoped for?
(To me) it looks like a bigger version of the 4?
Which sounds Amazing!!!!!

Maybe I look at my knife purchases incorrectly, but I want a step up with each purchase..

I have the kabar Adventures Parangatang.....
Great blade! ....but I can't speak enough negative things about the handle.....Seriously!......I'm in the process of tweaking it.

If someone has both that, and the BK9...... I'd love comparisons. Does the BK9 batten better?
Thanks. :)
Nope, wasn't crazy about it. I felt the same about the BK20. Nice, but not a 9. I feel the 9 is a good all arounder. Feels light and nimble in the hand to me.

Once you shave down the pointy hump in the middle of the handle, the parangatang is awesome.

depending on your budget, I'd suggest a 14 with TKC aftermarket extended Izula scales -- they cost as much as the knife, but add 1/2-3/4" to the handle length which makes it a lot easier to hold onto -- even for small hands.
otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with a 16 -- one of my all-time favorite pieces of outdoor cutlery.

the only problem I have with the 21 is that it bites too deep too easily, so if you're not cutting all the way through something, it tends to get stuck.

Did someone ask about a knife for a 10 year old girl...

My daughter got her 14 when she was like 6 or 7. Loved it immensely; learned how to properly use a knife with it. Pimped it out to her liking (although I think part of the pink paracord was so I wouldn’t keep borrowing it lol). Was just recently upgraded to a sixteen. Fits her 11 year old hands nicely. Highly highly recommend either one of those. I’d personally stay away from a bigger knife for her; I understand your reasoning to get it for batonning, but a smaller knife will let her do more knifey tasks easier and safer than a large one. She can always borrow your knife to batton with. Just my two cents.

…and don’t pay no mind to the Warrior. He had a nine surgically attached to his right hand a few years back; that’s why he’s so blah about the other larger blades…

My daughter got her 14 when she was like 6 or 7. Loved it immensely; learned how to properly use a knife with it. Pimped it out to her liking (although I think part of the pink paracord was so I wouldn’t keep borrowing it lol). Was just recently upgraded to a sixteen. Fits her 11 year old hands nicely. Highly highly recommend either one of those. I’d personally stay away from a bigger knife for her; I understand your reasoning to get it for batonning, but a smaller knife will let her do more knifey tasks easier and safer than a large one. She can always borrow your knife to batton with. Just my two cents.

…and don’t pay no mind to the Warrior. He had a nine surgically attached to his right hand a few years back; that’s why he’s so blah about the other larger blades…

OO0GfsQ.jpg

Once you shave down the pointy hump in the middle of the handle, the parangatang is awesome.

depending on your budget, I'd suggest a 14 with TKC aftermarket extended Izula scales -- they cost as much as the knife, but add 1/2-3/4" to the handle length which makes it a lot easier to hold onto -- even for small hands.
otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with a 16 -- one of my all-time favorite pieces of outdoor cutlery.

the only problem I have with the 21 is that it bites too deep too easily, so if you're not cutting all the way through something, it tends to get stuck.
It Is pretty awesome!
I tried grinding the middle point down, but then the handle is too small and narrow. I'm in the process of making a new handle. If it turns out ok.....and if I figure out how to post pictures, I will.

Aikiguy, Thank You!
This Is exactly why I signed up to this fourm.....
Great Pics!

Idk if I can wait till x-mas?
Now

It Is pretty awesome!
I tried grinding the middle point down, but then the handle is too small and narrow. I'm in the process of making a new handle. If it turns out ok.....and if I figure out how to post pictures, I will.

so what part of the country are you in - there may be someone from here that's close enough for a meetup and then you can try out the different knives before you buy.

another trick for the parangatang -- if the handle is too thin, try adding a layer or 3 of bicycle tire inner tube or handle wrap.
that'll thicken it up and add a little cushion.

so what part of the country are you in - there may be someone from here that's close enough for a meetup and then you can try out the different knives before you buy.

another trick for the parangatang -- if the handle is too thin, try adding a layer or 3 of bicycle tire inner tube or handle wrap.
that'll thicken it up and add a little cushion.

I came up with a similar idea of wrapping. I used a silicone tape used in plumbing. It's clear and sticks to itself Very well.

It doesn't look great, but feels nice!
I cut it off because I'm constantly taking the scales off because I'm tweaking them, but I'll probably do the same wrap again.

I'm in Wisconsin, and appreciate the idea, but I need to hang around here more before Id do that.....but thanks. :)

I'm set on buying one, just looking to see if I can first buy a good used one, before Amazon gets my money.....ha

Back