Important Info! Deceased makers

There you are! After I posted last night I was like, oh I prob shouldn’t have done that until I got myself together a little better. But after I hit post reply, I slept some last night. 😊 My email is kathy@guinn.co No c at the end…just co.

Sorry for your loss.....I too bought a knife from your Dad, as did many here....He made knives for us poor blue collar guys and we loved them and him.....Solid and affordable....

May your many happy memories of your Dad keep you company till you meet again.
Safe and healthy holdays!!!
Best,

James
Kathy, I am attempting to email you and get it back undelivered. Please confirm your email address for me as I am quite low tech myself. I do want to get a response to you for sure.

Sorry for your loss.....I too bought a knife from your Dad, as did many here....He made knives for us poor blue collar guys and we loved them and him.....Solid and affordable....

Best,

James

Kathy, my email address is goslaughter@outlook.com. I want to respond to your message regarding your beloved dad very much

Best,

James

Thank you, James. He loved it here and I can see him pecking away on his keyboard now. I remember when he posted and told y’all he was stepping back. Making knives wasn’t something he did, it was who he was. He grieved it and I think that was harder for him to process than the cancer diagnosis.

On a side note…I would like y’all to know it wasn’t the cancer that got him in the end. He died Monday morning unexpectedly from cardiac arrest. He went out just like he would have wanted….no lingering, no pain. One minute he was here, the next he was gone.

Grady, I emailed you. Hope it doesn’t go to spam. Please let me know if you check and don’t see it.

Thank you, James. He loved it here and I can see him pecking away on his keyboard now. I remember when he posted and told y’all he was stepping back. Making knives wasn’t something he did, it was who he was. He grieved it and I think that was harder for him to process than the cancer diagnosis.

On a side note…I would like y’all to know it wasn’t the cancer that got him in the end. He died Monday morning unexpectedly from cardiac arrest. He went out just like he would have wanted….no lingering, no pain. One minute he was here, the next he was gone.

Grady, I emailed you. Hope it doesn’t go to spam. Please let me know if you check and don’t see it.

I'm happy for you in that sense.....Couldn't ask for more or a better way to exit from this stage.....Thank you for sharing your thoughts here...Much appreciated..... My condolences to you and your family........

Hammer on Duck!!!!!👍👍👍

D W Childress passed away this morning, 12/18/23. We were with him this morning when he died. Knife making was his life, and I'm sure he'd want me to let you all know.
I'm so sorry to hear this. I absolutely loved his work and own two of his knives. There were at least a half dozen more over the years that I had to restrain myself from buying. Super nice work for a very reasonable price.

My condolences to his family. He was valued member of this community and will be missed.

My dear friend, mentor, and master knifemaker, Mike Thourot passed away on December 14th, 2023.

He was 78 years old and was still making knives at least 3 days a week until his death.

He will be sorely missed.

May he rest in peace,

Jerry

Tom Watson, Panama City, FL, April 8, 2019 at age 71. I bought one of his knives at the 2009 NCCA annual show in Mystic CT and became hooked on collecting custom knives. We became long range pen pal friends (NH-FL) over the years and I did my best to be supportive as he fought Parkinson’s. A good guy and fine knifemaker. I treasure the knives he made and our correspondence.

Tom Watson, Panama City, FL, April 8, 2019 at age 71. I bought one of his knives at the 2009 NCCA annual show in Mystic CT and became hooked on collecting custom knives. We became long range pen pal friends (NH-FL) over the years and I did my best to be supportive as he fought Parkinson’s. A good guy and fine knifemaker. I treasure the knives he made and our correspondence.
We did the same and I had a couple folders he made me out the other day… :(

D' Alton Holder was LEGEND. We all agree. As soon as he passed I posted a tribute on my popular Instagram, which had 37 warm responses. So fitting.

He was also mentioned in Post #225 above, shortly after he passed. R.I.P.

Add me to the long list of makers that D'Holder helped out as they got started. I was so sorry to hear that he had passed.

He organized circulating one of my knives by mail to help get me the endorsers when I joined the Knifemaker's Guild! And then wrote a long, constructive letter on what I needed to address to bring the work up to a proper standard.

Quite a long list of people that I knew and cared about on the list. Very sad. Ted Dowell and Jimmy Pugh were both also wonderfully supportive as we were expanding the size of the knife shows in Toronto.

Yes, Andy passed away on January 31. Fantastic knife maker, even better person. He is definitely missed.

Attachments

• IMG_4519.jpeg
    IMG_4519.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 15
Thanks everyone for your patience. Trying to get caught up again.
Every name that I add hurts because I knew or have heard of most of these great men and women.
I wish I had a wiz bang website builder to help me honor these great men and women with a website / data base showcasing all of their wonderful contributions to our community.

Thanks everyone for your patience. Trying to get caught up again.
Every name that I add hurts because I knew or have heard of most of these great men and women.
I wish I had a wiz bang website builder to help me honor these great men and women with a website / data base showcasing all of their wonderful contributions to our community.
Message me. We can figure something out.

Back