Destructive Knife Steel Testing . . .

If any of you guys are on Patreon, Joe has a page you can join for free.

He goes into a lot of detail on his situation from getting his guns taken from him, to police being called on him, coming onto his property guns drawn.

Its pretty crazy but a good watch.
Went and looked for it. Couldn't find it. The explanation, that is. Unless it was in one of the videos (I didn't watch any right now). Anyway, seems you summed it up pretty well in any case.

Went and looked for it. Couldn't find it. The explanation, that is. Unless it was in one of the videos (I didn't watch any right now). Anyway, seems you summed it up pretty well in any case.
He took it down for “issues”? Said he’d reupload it. But yeah the guy went through a world of shit for some knife testing.

They were going to take the bunch of broken blades too but since the pieces were too small he got to keep them.

He took it down for “issues”? Said he’d reupload it. But yeah the guy went through a world of shit for some knife testing.

They were going to take the bunch of broken blades too but since the pieces were too small he got to keep them.
Has he divulged exactly WHAT country he lives in that is so ... subservient to Karens?

I would guess (and I am not Jerry) when there is an actual Testing thread, rather than the saga of JoeX (what this thread has turned to) it will be stickied.

I will not sticky this thread.
Thank you, sir.
Not to denigrate this thread. Or JoeX... sounds like he's going through a hard time with Karens. But... yeah...

We have tested hundreds of blades throughout the years and always test several blades from every batch of steel.

Destructive testing of knife steel is only relevant if it is repeatable from blade to blade with the same level of impact, same angle, same firmness of grip, etc . . .

For those of you who have done your own destructive testing, also known as "beating your knife stupid when in a drunken rage", you know the huge difference that a minor change in the angle of impact can make. Couple this with how consistently tight you're holding the knife when swinging for the fences, and your favorite blade could be headed for an early grave!

Any knife can be broken, that's not big news.

However, the fairness factor is only there if the tests are done more scientifically and mechanically to ensure repeatability.

That is why there are Izod and Charpy impact testers used in metallurgical labs instead of these tests being performed by hand.

If you want to know how different steels with varying Rockwell hardnesses, bevel geometries, and edge angles hold up under impact, you must have knives made with the same bevel and edge geometry in order to compare them. Otherwise, your comparisons in knife steel will carry very little weight with those who truly love and use knives.

So, what can be done? We are currently putting several tests together that will highlight these differences.

These tests will show the areas where a variety of knife steels excel and which steels perform better for different applications.

This will take a lot of time, testing, and effort to put together, but it should be worth it. So, stay tuned my friends!

Let's Drink! :cool:

Jerry 😁

Noss was the beginning and end of all I needed to see of test results.

I’d never heard of Busse before Noss started actually really putting the hammer on “survival” knives - literally.

I picked up a NMFBM after seeing his results and it has never let me down. Tried several other Busses, well a bunch really, but the NMFBM, the 10” Battle Mistress, and for a smaller size the Ratmandu are my go to choices.

If the grid goes down, the NMFBM is my first choice for going to the dance.

btw - my wife loves telling her friends about my “Battle Mistress.” Their eyes get big and she starts laughing.

Speaking of destructive testing, I finished Cliffs SHBM. I might have polished more than I needed to, just to take out all the damage cliff did to it. There was a lot of tiny rock dents in the side of the blade from dirt impacts and digging. The edge was ground to 10 dps/ 0.023 BTE by cliff(by my measurements). I convexed it. blended it into the finish. So a zero edge. It's pretty sharp. I have another one that has a 12dps V ground edge and it feels sharper. Maybe, it's the high polish grit that makes it feel duller, even though it's not.

9GIpK2V.jpg

Back