Does anyone edc a douk douk?

I emailed Cognet re the HRC of their 14C28N blades. They responded that the blades are in the 56-57 range. I think that's a bit low, but certainly serviceable and works in the roll of an everyman's working knife.
Actually far better than just serviceable. For some working guy out in a farm field or on a muddy construction site, a blade a little softer is way better than harder. If it holds up to a working day, but is a bear to sharpen, then it's not that good. But if it holds up decent for a working day, but needs a touch up that can done in a minute by stropping on a gutter spike, or smooth stone or brick, then I think that's way better. Plus a lightly softer HC will not be chippy or as break prone if misused a little.

That was one of my favorite aspects of the douk douk. Strop it on my beard stubble and it was good to go for a bit again. The little hone that victorinox sells with their Zermatt sheaths works well too.

While I've been carrying steels with a bit more wear resistance for a while now, if I were to decide to wander off into the sunset, a douk douk would probably be in my pocket.

The Peacock Feather has landed

Feather detail and color nuance is better in person than this picture ... and varies with the light
The handle is smooth
The blade etch is slightly "into" the steel and not just a surface stamp that might easily rub off
Only time will tell how that etch stands up, but should easily hold up much better than a standard Douk-Douk etch/stamp

I'd say the fit and finish is typical of a Douk-Douk. No better and no worse
As with most new knives, the blade edge could use touch up

3J8KO1h.jpeg

The Peacock Feather has landed

Feather detail and color nuance is better in person than this picture ... and varies with the light
The handle is smooth
The blade etch is slightly "into" the steel and not just a surface stamp that might easily rub off
Only time will tell how that etch stands up, but should easily hold up much better than a standard Douk-Douk etch/stamp

I'd say the fit and finish is typical of a Douk-Douk. No better and no worse
As with most new knives, the blade edge could use touch up

3J8KO1h.jpeg
OMG! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I emailed Cognet re the HRC of their 14C28N blades. They responded that the blades are in the 56-57 range. I think that's a bit low, but certainly serviceable and works in the roll of an everyman's working knife.
Yes,thats bit low...but should be ok with this steel...their carbon should be at this hardness too,53 is way too low!

Actually far better than just serviceable. For some working guy out in a farm field or on a muddy construction site, a blade a little softer is way better than harder. If it holds up to a working day, but is a bear to sharpen, then it's not that good. But if it holds up decent for a working day, but needs a touch up that can done in a minute by stropping on a gutter spike, or smooth stone or brick, then I think that's way better. Plus a lightly softer HC will not be chippy or as break prone if misused a little.
Indeed, although I have found 14C28N and AEB-L, it's cousin, tough and easy to sharpen, even at 60+ HRC.

But I'm not complaining. I've used my Douk Douk rigorously for months and rarely needed to touch it up. It works and I'm more than pleased.

This is my trio.

iZmo3Su.jpg

The Douk Douk has a blued carbon steel body that wears off reasonably easily, the L'Ecureuil & Tiki have stainless bodies.
All carbon blades, the Tiki having a durable black coating.
200 & 160 mm overall length.

I find a bit of gentle squeezing with pliers narrows the open side of the body that's wider than necessary as new.

Last edited:
I like the Blued Carbon Steel look, so I keep the handle oiled-which make carry a bit messy. Is there another way of preserving bluing or adding to it?

Thanks, Will

I like the Blued Carbon Steel look, so I keep the handle oiled-which make carry a bit messy. Is there another way of preserving bluing or adding to it?

Thanks,
Birchwood-Casey liquid bluing/cold blue/super bluing/gun blue. Just paint it on and you're back to the original color. Longer and heavier exposure gives a darker color. Repeat use also darkens it deeper.

It's made of selenium salts, so it'll be stinky at first but the smell fades. Apply with cotton bolls and wear latex gloves.

Then there is boiling vinegar.

Zieg

I have had a Douk Douk for several years. My Mercators usually get carried in preference to the Douk Douk because their handles, although similarly constructed, are much more comfortable.

The Zieg The Zieg Many thanks for the info. Have to see if I can get that stuff sent to Europe ? Vinegar I think I'll leave, could start an outbreak of Rust (patina...;)) inside an all steel knife:eek:

The Zieg The Zieg Many thanks for the info. Have to see if I can get that stuff sent to Europe ? Vinegar I think I'll leave, could start an outbreak of Rust (patina...;)) inside an all steel knife:eek:
I just Googled "cold blue availability in Europe" and found it on several sites. I think you'll have no trouble. It's used for airguns and machine parts and even jewelry.

Zieg

I have had a Douk Douk for several years. My Mercators usually get carried in preference to the Douk Douk because their handles, although similarly constructed, are much more comfortable.
I agree with this assessment. My opinion of the handle comfort of the 3 folded metal handle knives I have is
Mercator > Douk Douk > Higokonami.

- GT

Back