Ebay and the 2.0

No room for profit ?
I think this is the reason along with the fact that you can still order it from Buck or other dealers. If you buy it for $800, it will cost at least $855 to arrive at your door after taxes. Ebay will take 13.25% of the sale and shipping price. If you sell it for $1000, which is a 25% mark up, you will net $865 after fees. Therefore you made $10. The risk verses reward does not seem worth it at this time. Maybe in 5-10 years when the knives have been discontinued and are routinely selling for more, but not now when you can theoretically still buy one for $800.

DIE FLIPPERS DIE!!
I am an infrequent visitor on this forum, I own several Buck knives but am in no way an expert or a collector, simply a user. Having clarified that I have no great passion or obsession concerning Buck knives but I do have an observation/question. Why do so many on this forum show such anger and vitriol when someone purchases an item, in this case a knife, and then advertises it for a higher price? I have seen many threads of this nature and as I stated I am here very infrequently. If there is no fraud involved is it not an individuals right to price an item however they wish? If it sells fine, if it does not sell then the price is reduced or it is taken off the market. This may come as a shock to many of you but this is basic Economics 101. A knife is a product just like a hammer, a dozen eggs, or a car all of which are marked up several times as they move through the supply chain. Next time you are in your local Walmart or Cabelas tell them how unhappy you are that they are charging more than they paid for an item, they will look at you like you are crazy. They are probably correct. It would seem that many of you have lost sight of the fact a knife is simply a piece of steel and some plastic, not your first born child.

In Economics 101, everyone learned about supply and demand dictating a price for a product. In the case of limited edition Buck knives, the supply is limited. A lot of people collect Buck knives and collectors get upset when someone has no interest in collecting and is only buying a limited edition knife with the intention of constraining the supply and therefore being able to resell the knife at an inflated price after the supply has been diminished. It is same reason no one likes a ticket scalper. It is the same reason no one likes a gas station or store inflating prices and price gouging after a hurricane or natural disaster when supplies are limited. They are only doing it to make a quick buck.

Let me see if I have this correct; your argument is to equate price gouging for essential supplies after a natural disaster and someones asking price for a knife that you deem to be "unfair" is a well thought out response? You might want to give any future replies a little more thought.

Let me see if I have this correct; your argument is to equate price gouging for essential supplies after a natural disaster and someones asking price for a knife that you deem to be "unfair" is a well thought out response? You might want to give any future replies a little more thought.
Please re-read the post you are answering. You obviously did not comprehend what was said.

you made your point. you like flippers and are okay with the practice of flipping. so be it. not many here are gonna agree with you and not many are gonna change their minds to match your beliefs on the topic.

okay we got it.....what else is your goal on this topic........

I posted that a little 'tounge in cheek' but since you asked politely I'll explain. Back around 2010 Buck started selling buildouts using odd combinations of parts and having quickly sold out web specials. I only collect rare and odd Bucks and it was extremely difficult to buy these really special knives BECAUSE a very very small group of buyers would swoop in and literally buy them all. The fact that Buck priced them extremely reasonable only made paying three four FIVE times as much or even more than Buck charged left a bad taste in my mouth. Buck did take steps to limit this at times. I felt true collectors like me should have had some chance to buy at Bucks MSRP/retail.
As I have matured as a collector I'm not as upset as I was back then as after all Buck is in the business of selling knives and if I don't like the price anyone charges.. just pass. We all love a Buck bargain after all.

The ones that really burn me are the guys that take advantage of the factory sale and leave with a dump truck of limited stuff to throw on the bay.

The sale is something nice Buck does for local and traveling knife geeks (I know, it also makes the company quick cash), not an investment opportunity.

Definitely easier ways to make money than scalping knife geeks.

Last edited:
Let me see if I have this correct; your argument is to equate a knife flipper that adds no value in the supply chain to a retailer that provides value by receiving, stocking, and selling goods for profit? Your initial argument is not a very well thought out response to the topic of this thread. If you are able, you might want to give any future replies a little more thought.

I am an infrequent visitor on this forum, I own several Buck knives but am in no way an expert or a collector, simply a user. Having clarified that I have no great passion or obsession concerning Buck knives but I do have an observation/question. Why do so many on this forum show such anger and vitriol when someone purchases an item, in this case a knife, and then advertises it for a higher price? I have seen many threads of this nature and as I stated I am here very infrequently. If there is no fraud involved is it not an individuals right to price an item however they wish? If it sells fine, if it does not sell then the price is reduced or it is taken off the market. This may come as a shock to many of you but this is basic Economics 101. A knife is a product just like a hammer, a dozen eggs, or a car all of which are marked up several times as they move through the supply chain. Next time you are in your local Walmart or Cabelas tell them how unhappy you are that they are charging more than they paid for an item, they will look at you like you are crazy. They are probably correct. It would seem that many of you have lost sight of the fact a knife is simply a piece of steel and some plastic, not your first born child.

"TROLL ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Light the signal tower ! Archers to the ramparts ! and someone tell me how that troll scout got INSIDE the bloody gates ! ! !"

Seriously, this discussion is the eternal discussion around here. You can find hundreds, thousands of posts about the issue if you seriously want to know. (troll !)

The ones that really burn me are the guys that take advantage of the factory sale and leave with a dump truck of limited stuff to throw on the bay.

The sale is something nice Buck does for local and traveling knife geeks (I know, it also makes the company quick cash), not an investment opportunity.

Definitely easier ways to make money than scalping knife geeks.
Its my understanding that Buck would limit a quantity that any one person could buy at those sales.

However when a member here observed someone doing exactly what you stated, filling a car, Buck' s moderator here quickly stepped in and said "nothing nefarious was taking place".

There were many discussion threads that were censored and deleted by Buck's own moderator about that.

Hmm. 🤔

Lesson:

Be careful.
Fit in.

Shut up and drink your Kool-Aid..

😉

Back