Elusive Schrades

Thank you for that Eric, yes I have the same in my Catalog E Book as well, I thought that perhaps a previous owner of my Catalog may have done that so perhaps these were in the original when this edition was reprinted it seems. Thank you once again Eric :) :thumbsup: Very much appreciated.

Duncan you just boggled my mind! LOL! I always thought those marks were put in later at the factory but I just checked another catalog from that edition and sure enough they're in there too. That's hilarious! All these years of being hoodwinked LOL! That's actually really cool, makes me wonder who 'ol A.G. got the catalog from that he used for the copy.

Eric

Duncan you just boggled my mind! LOL! I always thought those marks were put in later at the factory but I just checked another catalog from that edition and sure enough they're in there too. That's hilarious! All these years of being hoodwinked LOL! That's actually really cool, makes me wonder who 'ol A.G. got the catalog from that he used for the copy.

Eric
I am also seeing it in the scanned version that Larry has on his site!

That's actually really cool, makes me wonder who 'ol A.G. got the catalog from that he used for the copy.
Has to be a pricing code, or other info that had to be restricted!! Must have been a salesman's copy that A.G. used!! The marks are printed as part of all reprints, it seems!!

Okay, this one isn't the most valuable, but I think it definitely qualifies for elusive. It's a 307 pattern. I took a quick spin through Larry's site, and can't find that exact pattern number anywhere. The closest I came was a 308 pattern in a 1957 catalog shortline. The material is called Duo-Tone Bonite. Sounds like a fancy name for just plastic...

SW 307-1.jpg
SW 307-2.jpg

Okay, this one isn't the most valuable, but I think it definitely qualifies for elusive. It's a 307 pattern. I took a quick spin through Larry's site, and can't find that exact pattern number anywhere. The closest I came was a 308 pattern in a 1957 catalog shortline. The material is called Duo-Tone Bonite. Sounds like a fancy name for just plastic...

View attachment 2522358
View attachment 2522359

Very cool find Glenn, I've only seen one other. It was posted over on AAPK some time ago, much worse shape too. We need to find a '55 or '56 catalog, I'll bet it's in one of those.

Jeff here's a link to Larry's site: https://collectors-of-schrades-r.us/

Eric

Here is an interesting 3-blade Utility knife, made by Schrade for Dasco, of Rockford, Ill.!!!
Pre-Peachseed, likely 1920s!! Dasco supplies (still) carpentry tools!! I'm not sure what that odd blade is for, but it has a chisel grind (one side bevel!)!!!Dasco 3 blade 1.jpg

Here is an interesting 3-blade Utility knife, made by Schrade for Dasco, of Rockford, Ill.!!!
Pre-Peachseed, likely 1920s!! Dasco supplies (still) carpentry tools!! I'm not sure what that odd blade is for, but it has a chisel grind (one side bevel!)!!!View attachment 2525449
Grew up very close to Rockford. Great post Charlie, thanks for sharing. Very interesting blade combo and extremely versatile. Almost like a prehistoric leatherman πŸ˜‚.

Grew up very close to Rockford. Great post Charlie, thanks for sharing. Very interesting blade combo and extremely versatile. Almost like a prehistoric leatherman πŸ˜‚.
Thanks!! Glad you enjoy the post; pretty close to prehistoric!! ;)

Here is another utility-grade knife from Schrade!! Note it has a "glazed" finish (close to as-ground) on the blades in lieu of Schrade's usual Crocus polish!! Still has gorgeous pre-Peachseed handles though!! Note Salesman's numbers and "hieroglyphics"!!Pruning SaSa 1.jpgPruning SaSa 2.jpgPruning SaSa 3.jpg

Got out to a knife show Sunday, and the Schrade gods were good to me...

242 SW in bone and black comp
SW 242-4.jpg
SW 242-5.jpg

SCC shadow in bone
SCC 3.jpg

SCC jack in bone. Pretty clean and full, except for some blade staining
SCC 4.jpg

Back