Elusive Schrades

Wow Charlie that one's just spectacular!! Almost like the stag was custom grown for it!! 😲 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Eric

waynorth waynorth yeah, well, it's that I always wanted to have something like a marlin spike secondary, and your pic here helped me to realize that a) steel bars I have aren't thick enough to make something like a marlin spike, and b) why would I need it to be thick in the first place if I can make something like that pick, just sturdier. I thought about reshaping the standard form of an awl, but now I think I will design my own knot pick. So I would really appreciate any pics of picks I migh pick to create a pic of a perfect pick in mind.

waynorth waynorth yeah, well, it's that I always wanted to have something like a marlin spike secondary, and your pic here helped me to realize that a) steel bars I have aren't thick enough to make something like a marlin spike, and b) why would I need it to be thick in the first place if I can make something like that pick, just sturdier. I thought about reshaping the standard form of an awl, but now I think I will design my own knot pick. So I would really appreciate any pics of picks I migh pick to create a pic of a perfect pick in mind.
Are you a sailor?? Depending on the size of the rope, spikes/picks/awls may not have to be very large!!
I once ground down an old screwdriver shaft to a dull point - made a perfect spike complete with handle!!

Nice #899 Gus, see if Charlie (waynorth) can tell you something about that style of punch blade.
That Punch looks like a shortfall of the grinding process, Schrade didnt make a
Schrade did some weird blades!!!View attachment 2515462
Typesetter's pick!!

I used to work in a Printers and watch a older chap do the typesetting, Barney was his name- was a bit of an alcoholic and not such a nice guy in the mornings, amazing when you think of that whole page you are reading in a newspaper every letter, every word space was placed in there by hand. :eek:

That Punch looks like a shortfall of the grinding process, Schrade didnt make a
What do you mean? Didn’t make a punch at all or didn’t make one with the rough end grind like that. I did google the 899 pattern prior to getting this one and it seemed to indicate the 899 had a punch on it.

Back