Elusive Schrades

So as I’m gently cleaning this 804 up the mark side derlin handle suddenly looks all bleached out. I’m wondering what the heck just happened 😵.

Is there any issue cleaning derlin with a little of benchmade blue lube? It wasn’t much and it wasn’t on for long at all. Is it possible the blue lube damaged the dye job on the derlin???? The edges of the handle are almost white now instead of amber brown and the jigged portion looks cloudy and dull. The pile side looks just fine like new.

I’m assuming it’s derlin but honestly I dont’ know for sure, could be bone. And maybe I just didn’t initially notice the stark difference between the mark side and the pile side, the pile side is nice and deep colors and glossy, the mark side is dull and bleached out in comparison. Is it salvageable or am I going to need to rehandle this thing at some point?

View attachment 2507581View attachment 2507582

Last edited:
the jigged portion looks cloudy and dull

I have had a Delrin handle go white and cloudy, and nothing would bring it back!!! A Case!!! I tried every cleaner, and lube; to no avail!!!
I had it rehandled then traded it off!! I think it was chemical deterioration, but I am not sure!! Delrin is usually pretty sturdy stuff!!

Best Sheepfoot Jack I've ever seen!!! I recall it may have come from the closed factory Display Board!!View attachment 2507554View attachment 2507556View attachment 2507557

Charlie, that is one amazing Jack ! 😍
WQhUdeG.gif

I have had a Delrin handle go white and cloudy, and nothing would bring it back!!! A Case!!! I tried every cleaner, and lube; to no avail!!!
I had it rehandled then traded it off!! I think it was chemical deterioration, but I am not sure!! Delrin is usually pretty sturdy stuff!!
The seller did say it was taken from a store display so I’m guessing maybe direct sunlight? I’m so disappointed, this is otherwise in perfect condition for such an old knife. Not sure if RIT dye would work?

Last edited:
Sorry, Gus, I never put anything on my knives except mineral oil. It' probably mostly sun exposure.

Paul that is a beauty, I love the blue bones. Is it an 834?

Sorry, Gus, I never put anything on my knives except mineral oil. It' probably mostly sun exposure.

Paul that is a beauty, I love the blue bones. Is it an 834?
Yeah lesson learned, there was some tackiness when I handled it so I thought it needed to get some cleaning. I almost think it was shoe polish that masked the condition and it came off with the blue lube. Regardless, going forward, I’m going to head the mineral oil suggestion.

Just in case, is there anyone recommended here that does an excellent job on rehandling (jigged dyed bone)?

I may have found a way to restore the luster though, we’ll see if it works tomorrow…

Well the black magic I used last night seemed to work pretty well, brought a little bit of the color back and a nice glossy finish again to get rid of the foggy zombie looking mark side. We’ll see how long this lasts though. I think I’m going to go back though and try dyeing the mark side with Feiblings Leather Dye, assuming I can figure out how to do it properly, with black in the jigging and brown on the whole side. Just need to understand how to heat it up properly so the dye will take. Any suggestions? Then I can go back and do this glossy black magic trick again haha.

View attachment 2508087View attachment 2508088

Last edited:
WOW Charlie, what a beautiful Sheepfoot, LOOK at those covers :oops: :oops::oops:❤️❤️❤️

This just arrived today and although not super elusive, I'm very happy to have it...basically it's NOS:)
Thanks, Paul!!!

Nice stockman - great color for it!!

So as I’m gently cleaning this 804 up the mark side derlin handle suddenly looks all bleached out. I’m wondering what the heck just happened 😵.

Is there any issue cleaning derlin with a little of benchmade blue lube? It wasn’t much and it wasn’t on for long at all. Is it possible the blue lube damaged the dye job on the derlin???? The edges of the handle are almost white now instead of amber brown and the jigged portion looks cloudy and dull. The pile side looks just fine like new.

I’m assuming it’s derlin but honestly I dont’ know for sure, could be bone. And maybe I just didn’t initially notice the stark difference between the mark side and the pile side, the pile side is nice and deep colors and glossy, the mark side is dull and bleached out in comparison. Is it salvageable or am I going to need to rehandle this thing at some point?

View attachment 2507581View attachment 2507582

Gus oftentimes a little heat from a torch will bring the color back. Mind you don't hold the torch right on it unless you want bubbly black covers. Heat it gently. Not sure if there'll be a reaction with all you rubbed on there though, tread lightly.

Charlie that's a fantastic jack, VERY exciting! 😉

Paul that's a beauty! Those blue bones are pretty elusive. I think they were initially made for a five (or so) knife display done for Cargill if I recall correctly.

Eric

Last edited:
Gus oftentimes a little heat from a torch will bring the color back. Mind you don't hold the torch right on it unless you want bubbly black covers. Heat it gently. Not sure if there'll be a reaction with all you rubbed on there though, tread lightly.

Paul that's a beauty! Those blue bones are pretty elusive. I think they were initially made for a five (or so) knife display done for Cargill if I recall correctly.

Eric

Thanks Eric,

I can strip the acrylic sealer (Mod Podge Super Hi-Gloss Acrylic Sealer) I applied (very very lightly) that brought back the resiliency easy enough I think. It wasn't really black magic, but it worked. Not sure if it was right to do but time will tell. Should be safe to use on all sorts of material including plastic and metal. I did tape off everything except the handle so as not to get any on the metal parts though. Other than the color still being a little faded, the glossy shine is restored for sure. Had to do the other side so the shine was the same though.

I do have a heat gun that maybe I can use to warm the derlin just enough to take the dye wasn't sure if it would be better to heat the dye itself before applying. I can try that before I attempt to use leather dye. I saw one post where someone darkened up a Case XX Bose Collab jigged bone applying the dye then putting the whole knife in the oven at a low temp I think. More research needed on my part. I should probably reserve these comments to the maintenance section so apologies everyone, I did post there this question but thank you Eric for the response regardless.

Back to Schardes pics, my latest addition awaiting delivery (825RB), even has the box but, if only it was carbon but I don't mind SS to be honest...
View attachment 2508389...

Last edited:
Gus I just wanted to clear up the fact that I was referring to heating the delrin up without the dye. Oftentimes the heat will eliminate that white oxidation on its own.

Eric

Gus I just wanted to clear up the fact that I was referring to heating the delrin up without the dye. Oftentimes the heat will eliminate that white oxidation on its own.

Eric
Understood Eric, I'll give that a shot first before I attempt the dye. Thanks!!

Paul, that’s a dandy. Love the blue!!
Thanks Jim, I love this knife, it's very well made as the fit and finish is top notch. Smooth transition from bolsters to covers, solid blades and sharpened to a razor edge :thumbsup:

Eric
Thanks for the info Eric, I had a conversation yesterday with Bryon about the blue rope bone and the history behind those and how you acquired and used on your knives...pretty neat I think:)

Reactions: 315
Back