Folders that are strong enough for batoning?

I know you typically don't want to use a folder for the task of batoning wood but I'm looking for suggestions on folders that can handle the job anyway. It's for a survival pack I'm throwing together if anyone needs to know why. Thank you in advance!

alternatively (depending on your preferred size and weight constraints) you can get an Opinel #13 (14.5 oz, 8.5" blade, 11" closed length). I have not tried batoning with it but the long blade is a plus for batoning, if you’re going to use a folder. The fat handle might also be more comfortable for batoning. Dutch Bushcraft Knives have a video
where they batoned with it (3:05, 4:35). Not good for wet weather though, as the wooden handle will swell.

Last edited:
My suggestion; use a fixed blade. Folding knives are for light duty cutting only even though the makers of 'tactical' and 'hard use' knives will make you believe something else.

Chris Reeve Sebenza Large with Insingo blade. It is essentially the Chris Reeve Backpacker, but it folds. Get the Carbon Fiber front one that Knifeart has from time to time and it is super light as well. If you intend it to be for hard use, make sure to use it with the 20 degree grind that it comes with. (for slicing grind it to 15 degrees with at 20 degree edge - using a Sharpmaker - making sure to use the CBN stones to grind it down or it'll take you a century)

I would recommend Gransfors Bruk Scandinavia (European) forest axe for any real wood splitting. The head is the same weight as the smaller hatchets, but the handle is long enough to use (and stick on the side of a pack). Never had the need to baton, but I've had plenty of need to chop down a tree, chop up and split wood, or chop up a tree blocking the road when in a vehicle.

There's a knife reviewer on YouTube called Advanced Knife Bro who batons with folders as a kind of running joke, you could check out what held up better there. Cold Steel's triad lock knives seemed to do well, but be careful not to hit the thumb plate on the models that have one.

I would second Cold Steel's 4 Max Scout. Or, if you want to save, Schrade 301: US$22 in the USA, US$35 in Canada. Your tears won't be as bitter when (not "if") you break it.
But seriously, why not use a fixed blade?

OroSi0G.png

dXd9xkb.png

If you CAN use a fixed instead I think that’s best, but if you must baton a folder, please at least just split SMALL sections of wood from your piece (eg the opposite of bashing through the middle of a log like you see everyone doing on YouTube). Create wooden wedges for large splits.

If you must baton with a fixed blade…? Same thing! :)

Here's another good candidate:

dqAV0nz.png

Seriously though, there were several folding machetes in WWII aircrew bailout kits. The first one, obviously, is a Case XX. This one is an Imperial.

Last edited:
A fixed blade is muched preferred, even a small one (ESEE 3 - 4). If your in the most dire circumstances and only have a folder, only baton small branches and don't lock the knife. The real danger in using a folder is damaging the locking mechanism.

Back