Giveaway Knife: Design thread

This question is in 2 parts.

What is a bigger priority for you; overbuilt burliness, or feather-light cutting performance?

And, how to get there; full tang or hidden tang?

overbuilt. I don't do stupid things (very often) with knives but I like my knives to tough but still cut well.
I also like full tang knives.

Last edited:
Feather-light cutting performance, for sure. In a knife of this size and purpose, I'm not going to be using it for anything other than cutting unless absolutely necessary. I've got a keychain full of other small tools—my knife needs to cut and cut well, and if it's thick enough to be a prybar, it's not going to serve it's main purpose to the degree I'd want it to.

On the other hand, I do prefer a full tang, preferably with slab grips. If they're removable so I can make it lighter and flatter if need be, even better. Skeletonized for weight is fine, as long as it's well-done.

necker/small belt/pocket carry: featherlight slicer, hidden tang

belt/pack: overbuilt, full extended tang/hammer pommel

overbuilt burliness, prefer a full tang, preferably with slab grips. If they're removable so I can make it lighter and flatter if need be, even better. Skeletonized for weight is fine and then it can be 550 wrapped if need be. I carry a knife for it being an all purpose tool. Not to say I'm going to cut my way out of a car w/ it...but if I had to I'd like to know I'm carrying something that's not going to fail when someone's or my life is in the balance. Just my 2cents

Cutting ability above all. Especially on a small knife!

Full tang vs hidden tang? Depends, What will be the blade length?

we're not there yet, but soon :)

Maybe the full tang question should come after the blade length is established. But regardless, on a small edc style knife it probably best to go full tang. Leave the hidden tangs for big fighters and the such.

there's a voice in my head telling me 'full tang'...am I going crazy or what?

ok, so dimensions;

what is your preference for blade length?

for overall length?

target weight?

Right about ~3" seems the perfect blade length for small EDC, to me.

Overall length, maybe 6-6.5", and I really couldn't say on the weight. I'd certainly it rather be on the lightweight side of things, so it'll carry comfortably around my neck or in a pocket.

for comfortable in-pocket carry, not more than 7" from the tip of the sheath to the butt end of the tang.
Blade length 2.5-3"
grippable part of the handle 3-3.5" for a comfortable 3-finger grip

I like a 3.5 to 4.5 inch blade with a 7.5 to 9 inch total. wight is not to important to me I like a knife to be under 6 oz + the sheath.

My favorite design for a small fixed blade is the Sharpfinger. I carry on either on my belt or in my front pocket nearly every day. For my lifestyle and the cutting tasks that I generally come across it is more than enough knife.
For a sheath, I'm thinking a pocket sheath made for a cargo pocket would be fantastic.

I prefer 3-4" on the blade and 4" on the handle so i can fit my entire hand on the handle. So 7-8" OAL. I have no preference on weight when it comes to a knife this size.

And id always pick full tang no matter the size of the blade.

there's a voice in my head telling me 'full tang'...am I going crazy or what?

ok, so dimensions;

what is your preference for blade length?

for overall length?

target weight?
You probably aren't crazy but that voice is.:D
I like crazy. I have absolutely no preference between tang types. Either will be plenty strong for my uses.
As for weight and thickness I like a light, thin blade. In good steel and with Ryan's craftsmanship there is no need for added weight or thickness for strength.
A knife in this size will be used a lot and should be a great slicer. Just my devalued .02.

great feedback so far, gents!

What are your thoughts regarding materials?

I'm always a fan of linen Micarta for smaller fixed blade handle scales. It's just got a great feel to it, it's basically indestructible, and it takes any sort of finish you give it.

As far as the steel, I really don't care. I'd prefer a high carbon steel, for strength and edge-taking, I suppose. Kydex sheath for sure.

One of the things i love is the wood Ryan uses on the handles, especially when he adds bolsters so that would be cool to see, but im also a fan of micarta.

If your asking for alloy choice too... And if any alloy was actually possible, on a knife this size, id pick in this order....

1. Vanadis 4 extra
2. 52100
3. CPM-154

I'm a little late to the game but let's see if I can play catch up I don't carry a fixed currently, I would like to but the size/sheath is key. Sheath for me would be leather only allowing maybe 2in of handle above the sheath, with a clip so I can carry in my back left pocket.

For everyday? Featherlight performance, for going in the wood's? Not over built, not Featherlight. Think of Ryans wood drake for overall size.
I like full tangs and Ryan sure does a nice one.

Size? Two for ya
small fixed everyday carry
4in handle 3.5-4in blade 5/8in wide drop point/semi spear point

woods knife
5-5.5in handle 5-6in blade. 5/4in wide, same type of point, maybe carrying more belly towards the end? Not as sharp of a point as the small one.
Materials?
Leather sheath, wood scales. ..

Back