Hudson Bay Knife, assigned to multi-alloy run in progress

so youre partly responsible for this idear......

if so, then........well done Anthony.

love the Hudson Bay pattern. got a couple condor versions of it. this looks like its gonna be a bigger one, and that is a great thing......
I may have brought up wanting to commission something like that picture earlier... David deserves most of the credit though.

I want one......

This is the sort of thing I am trying to find out. If I do something like this as a one-off, it gets expensive, but the more people in on it, the better price I can make them for. The steel we discussed initially was 15N20. I tried to vouch for AEBL but the Willie was having none of it. I don't blame him. A classic traditional blade style like this, kind seems like it would be wrong to make it in something that doesn't take a patina readily. 3/16" or 1/4" 15N20 would be nice and tough and really perfect for the job. Seems like it should also get wood or micarta for the handle too. If it were to be my knife, I would go with 3/16", maybe even 5/32".

Last edited:
I think it's a great style, and the pattern above looks awesome!

Would you say that you haven't made ANY before??? In a general sense.

Maybe I'm being too cavalier with design, but id say you make a Lot of them, and it's one of your go-to designs. (In a good way). :D

regardless, I'm looking forward to This one, as well.

This is the sort of thing I am trying to find out. If I do something like this as a one-off, it gets expensive, but the more people in on it, the better price I can make them for. The steel we discussed initially was 15N20. I tried to vouch for AEBL but the Willie was having none of it. I don't blame him. A classic traditional blade style like this, kind seems like it would be wrong to make it in something that doesn't take a patina readily. 3/16" or 1/4" 15N20 would be nice and tough and really perfect for the job. Seems like it should also get wood or micarta for the handle too. If it were to be my knife, I would go with 3/16", maybe even 5/32".
I'm liking the aebl steel. no one makes a good tough stainless Hudson Bay....

but other steel is fine too. count me in either way....

I do like the idear of a leather sheath for it.....

Abe-l would be my vote also with a modern micarta handle.

Is 5160 more expensive than 15n20? Not sure what to compare 15N20 to since it’s not listed on Larrins charts.

Abe-l would be my vote also with a modern micarta handle.

Is 5160 more expensive than 15n20? Not sure what to compare 15N20 to since it’s not listed on Larrins charts.

Most people like it Better than 5160.
It's still crazy tough, but it gets really sharp, and can be made to a finer edge.
Very underrated steel

Id guess that most Damascus is made with it. The shiny parts.
It's just not used as often as a stand alone blade.
Previously, I believe because of lack of good thicknesses available....but Now makers can get thicker pieces. :)

Most people like it Better than 5160.
It's still crazy tough, but it gets really sharp, and can be made to a finer edge.
Very underrated steel

Id guess that most Damascus is made with it. The shiny parts.
It's just not used as often as a stand alone blade.
Previously, I believe because of lack of good thicknesses available....but Now makers can get thicker pieces. :)
well the Paul Bos heat treat Buck uses on their 5160 steel also Dan Maragni's treatment at Ontario on their 5160..takes it to a much better level. most folks who have had these and used them..... see 5160 as a good steel.....even a preferred steel for a tough non stainless knife.

Back