Hudson Bay Knife, assigned to multi-alloy run in progress

well the Paul Bos heat treat Buck uses on their 5160 steel also Dan Maragni's treatment at Ontario on their 5160..takes it to a much better level. most folks who have had these and used them..... see 5160 as a good steel.....even a preferred steel for a tough non stainless knife.

I'm definitely Not saying 5160 is bad...... I like it. Alot.
*just 15n20 a little better

I will Certainly continue to buy 5160.
I guess what I'm saying is don't be scared of 15n20 because it's not used as often (as a stand alone steel) it's great, too.

I like the design, however I would make the handle a little longer to be more controllable and comfortable. I also like the idea of 5/32 for a good camp kitchen knife and still sturdy for tough jobs, or 3/16, but not as heavy as 1/4 inch thickness.

After looking at the specs closer, it looks like the blade is about 11 inches and the handle would be 5 inches, the handle just looked short to my eye at first. Now to be a dingus (used in another makers thread ;) ) and cause some rumblings, i believe a 8.5 to 9 inch blade length would be better.

Last edited:
I have two ML knives Hudson bays, one is 3/16 thickness and about 1.5 inches wide and it is stout, but then I had the idea to make the other one 1/8 inch thick but increase the width to about 1 3/4 wide to still give it some girth but more of a camp kitchen knife. So, would 1/8 be possible? Or would the 5/32 in 1 3/4 width be a good fit? The ML knives are the second and third from the top.IMG_0281.jpeg

I like the design, however I would make the handle a little longer to be more controllable and comfortable. I also like the idea of 5/32 for a good camp kitchen knife and still sturdy for tough jobs, or 3/16, but not as heavy as 1/4 inch thickness.

After looking at the specs closer, it looks like the blade is about 11 inches and the handle would be 5 inches, the handle just looked short to my eye at first. Now to be a dingus (used in another makers thread ;) ) and cause some rumblings, i believe a 8.5 to 9 inch blade length would be better.
I like it as is, handle size and all.....but a shorter 9" blade i wouldn't be against.

I've decided while back on my first custom he made for me.....to let David use his instincts and create......I've never been let down by his choices yet after 5 or so of his knives I think I got.....

I'm definitely Not saying 5160 is bad...... I like it. Alot.

The outstanding 15N20 alloy is so close to the same toughness as 5160, and with the 61 RC sweet spot where you get the combination of hard and tough (a properties cross section that, as Nathan Carothers has stated, leads to excellent "durability"), not to mention better abrasive edge retention than 5160, unless someone specifically asks me for 5160, I will never use it again. And even then I will probably advocate for 8670 over it.

It would be a simple matter for me to program the CAD file as an 11 inch blade and modify blanks shorter for those who would like 9 inch blades.

If I am reading correctly,

Wild Willie Wild Willie
jbmonkey jbmonkey
F FSA

would be in for one if it is 15N20?

Anyone else? If I am going to do any more carbon steel runs, it will no longer be "leap of faith" types of things where I just make a bunch of stuff and hope to be able to sell it. AEBL, MagnaCut, sure. But with the carbon steels, from now on, it will be strictly kitchen cutlery, if anything at all, unless I have orders lined up where I know I will not just be losing money.

Actually, I am going to start another thread with another design that I want to do in 15N20. The more blades I can send for heat treatment at one time, the more economical the batch will be, and the better price I can give on everything.

If I am reading correctly,

Wild Willie Wild Willie
jbmonkey jbmonkey
F FSA

would be in for one if it is 15N20?

Anyone else? If I am going to do any more carbon steel runs, it will no longer be "leap of faith" types of things where I just make a bunch of stuff and hope to be able to sell it. AEBL, MagnaCut, sure. But with the carbon steels, from now on, it will be strictly kitchen cutlery, if anything at all, unless I have orders lined up where I know I will not just be losing money.

Actually, I am going to start another thread with another design that I want to do in 15N20. The more blades I can send for heat treatment at one time, the more economical the batch will be, and the better price I can give on everything.
That's a yes from me in 15N20. Not sure what length I'd prefer yet.

Back