Review JJ Smith’s Harpoon Custom

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Happy Saturday to the BF folks,

Today I have a wonderful custom from jjsmith jjsmith to review.

36656664-720F-4C2F-AB5F-8ECE33A886CF.jpeg

I have trouble trying to figure out where to start, so I will just dive right in!

When I first looked at the sales thread (I have been monitoring JJ for a while now), I thought that this knife would be in the same proportions as a DEK1. I was pleasantly surprised that it is slimmer!! :)

This is a W2 carbon steel knife, 1/8” bladestock, with tapered tang. I love a tapered tang, and it helps balance this knife well. With an overall length of a hair under 8” and a useable blade length of 3 3/8”, this is very easily carried on the belt everyday.

JJ’s hamon’s are absolutely stunning and the photo’s do not do it justice. The contrast between the “greys” on the blade, and the dark hamon just cause a smile on my face. The grinds are perfectly symmetrical and excellently executed. I’m generally not a fan of harpoon style blades, but JJ’s is so subtle and is terminated at the exact right spot to work as a very useable thumb ramp, that I just couldn’t pass this one up.

6420269E-5A93-4451-83D6-DAE4CECEABC1.jpeg

When looking at knives in the custom for sale section, I always pay close attention to the tip of the knife. For the most part, any maker who pays attention to the tip coming to an acute point generally finishes the rest of the details on the knife with close attention also. This harpoon tip from JJ, is executed with machine perfection, having the harpoon and the main edge come to a very sharp and pointed tip. His edges also come wickedly sharp and are not left wanting. Even the secondary bevels match!

AC75780C-50A3-40CE-878D-80576786986C.jpeg

JJ has adorned the handle with moccha paper micarta and a crosscut black micarta liner. These two join together so well that it just looks like the moccha micarta fades to black…absolutely gorgeous.
As carbon steel blades are prone to patina, choosing to use copper pins was a great idea. I will appreciate the patina on both the blade and pins in years to come.
The scales are subtly shaped and just melt into my hand. The polished finish on the moccha paper micarta scales is museum quality, all the way. I am beyond impressed with how JJ shaped the scales. I will let a photo do the talking. The full width of the assembled knife handle is 1/2”.
Another point of mention is the butt of the knife. It flairs out just enough to hold the blade from slipping, yet not even notice it is there.

C196E054-566E-4464-A7CC-C0D44D2CE40F.jpeg

The beautiful lines on this knife, the stunning scales, the wonderful hamon line and the painstaking attention to detail prompted me to make a custom sheath, that would do it justice, right away (within 3 days of knifes arrival) and it has been on my hip ever since.

1029F55D-8DB4-47DB-8AC2-FE39F23A3A15.jpeg
A7EF29F8-3040-4D34-94BB-DA0C7519BB9E.jpeg

I cannot say enough wonderful things about JJ‘s skill and the beauty of his customs. I am already pining for another, and I think anyone who passes on his knives is missing out on a diamond in the rough.

1B8088CE-976C-44E6-A11F-434C0BDA9C16.jpeg

If you are a carbon steel fan and appreciate attention to detail, you cannot go wrong with one of JJ’s customs. Fully capable of slicing, a sharp edge, acute tip and comfortable in hand, his knives are worth every cent.

Hope you all enjoyed…I’m off to see if he has posted anything new. Lol.
Excellent job, JJ.

6420269E-5A93-4451-83D6-DAE4CECEABC1.jpeg4C80CF3E-5052-4403-BB32-AA9CADD40F69.jpeg

Photo for size comparison purposes:
1F9D96E3-98E8-49C2-95F4-F0291CE31432.jpeg

Thank you sir, I’m so glad you like that blade and thanks for all the kind words!!

You are most welcome, Jeremiah. They are well deserved. Looking forward to seeing more and more beautiful knives come out of your shop in the future.

Great review. I can see why you speak highly of the knife.
Excellent execution from what I can see.
Congratulations on this new beauty.

Thank you. I must mention that JJ was extremely pleasant and easy to work with as well.

I don’t take reviews lightly, so I appreciate your kind words. ☺️

Great review!!!!! All the.good stuff and no fluff.......
jjsmith jjsmith 's knives had garnered my attention ages ago with his HAMON's...
Just spectacular!!!!! In my opinion, he's at the top of game!!!! Eye catching, every one!!!
Thanks for the review. Appreciate your thoughts!!!!
Enjoy that puppy!!

Great review!!!!! All the.good stuff and no fluff.......
jjsmith jjsmith 's knives had garnered my attention ages ago with his HAMON's...
Just spectacular!!!!! In my opinion, he's at the top of game!!!! Eye catching, every one!!!
Thanks for the review. Appreciate your thoughts!!!!
Enjoy that puppy!!

He sure is. Thank you for your kind words. My pleasure.

Just a pure stunner Coleman! Love that handle. All the details blend perfectly. Jeremiah’s edge geometry is spot on as well. That’s always nice as pictures don’t necessarily convey that.

We need to start a picture/appreciation thread to gather Jeremiah’s work in one place.

Just a pure stunner Coleman! Love that handle. All the details blend perfectly. Jeremiah’s edge geometry is spot on as well. That’s always nice as pictures don’t necessarily convey that.

We need to start a picture/appreciation thread to gather Jeremiah’s work in one place.

I agree, perfect edge geometry. Everything on this knife is symmetrical as well. Including the handle shape. His work is quite impressive.

I’ve been using this one daily, and it still cutting paper cleanly. (I just opened a bag of candy haha)

I’m down with you starting a p/a thread for Jeremiah…that’s a great idea.

This is a great review of a stunning yet practical knife. I too have watched JJ’s work with much interest for quite a while. I have not been in the right place at the right time to score one yet since they sell very quickly.

In regard to this knife, I appreciate the choice of materials and overall sense of proportions. 8” OAL with an open and maneuverable neutral handle shape is a great all-a-rounder for most folks practical needs. The hamon is absolutely amazing on the blade. The mocha paper micarta with black liners & copper pin exudes class that compliments the hamon very well. The tapered tang nicely balances things visually with the swedge on the blade. The grinds and finish on the blade couldn’t be better. There is nothing I don’t like on this blade other than a little envy that I didn’t see it first. 😉

Thanks Coleman for another excellent review. Your crisp photos tell a story all by themselves. Your leatherwork has quickly become top notch also. I look forward to seeing more of this knife as the patina grows with use.

Phil

This is a great review of a stunning yet practical knife. I too have watched JJ’s work with much interest for quite a while. I have not been in the right place at the right time to score one yet since they sell very quickly.

In regard to this knife, I appreciate the choice of materials and overall sense of proportions. 8” OAL with an open and maneuverable neutral handle shape is a great all-a-rounder for most folks practical needs. The hamon is absolutely amazing on the blade. The mocha paper micarta with black liners & copper pin exudes class that compliments the hamon very well. The tapered tang nicely balances things visually with the swedge on the blade. The grinds and finish on the blade couldn’t be better. There is nothing I don’t like on this blade other than a little envy that I didn’t see it first. 😉

Thanks Coleman for another excellent review. Your crisp photos tell a story all by themselves. Your leatherwork has quickly become top notch also. I look forward to seeing more of this knife as the patina grows with use.

Phil

Thank you for your very kind words, Phil.

I really love this knife, as much as I love my REK Ember 3.5. Which says a lot about JJ’s skills as a knife maker.

I will try to keep this thread updated, as this harpoon has been in use since it’s arrival. Yes, it is beautiful, but its execution just begs to be used. ☺️

Thank you again for your uplifting words. I’m working on a new sheath design for Wild Willie Wild Willie which has had me stumped for a little while. I’m hoping to turn out a sheath to his specs that he will be proud to carry.

Thank you for following my reviews, and I hope you can snag a nice one from JJ…although I’m thinking you may have competition. 😉

Last edited:
Thank you again for your uplifting words. I’m working on a new sheath design for Wild Willie Wild Willie which has had me stumped for a little while. I’m hoping to turn out a sheath to his specs that he will be proud to carry.
Don't worry about the sheath. Get out and use that knife to clear your head, best thing for befuddlement is to do something else for a while... That blade needs some scuffs. 😁

Ok now I wanna see the sheath...........

Definitely looking forward to seeing this thread continue on as that gorgeous blade acquires love marks!!!!!

Back