Photos Knives and tea, pix thread

Happy Thursday with one of Grandpa’s Barlows. This has been sitting on my dresser since I inherited it 16-ish years ago. I rarely carry it but the boys on “The Porch” over in the traditional forum are doing a carry a Barlow for 30 days challenge.

D6A47194-0F6D-4E01-903B-DAB6D67A37E2.jpeg

Black tea, no milk, no sugar please. Keep the change.

ciMaKQB.png

Happy Saturday!

Two Camillus Barlows, one Grandpa’s Camco, one my new-to-me Buck. The Camco is quite thinner. The blades appear to be the same thickness, only the scales and bolsters are thinner.

DB199F15-EDA4-4491-A924-19F731E58093.jpeg

6D476FF5-1135-438A-81FE-56A04401D961.jpeg

I like that - what kind of wood is it?

Thanks......Just plain regular oak....
There are lots of tannins in oak, but black tea helps a little bit More with the chemical reaction.

I'm making a quick gift for a supervisor at work who is retiring. I still have clean up sanding and shaping to do, but I'm inpatient with seeing the color Pop.
I'll have to do it again

Thanks......Just plain regular oak....
There are lots of tannins in oak, but black tea helps a little bit More with the chemical reaction.

I'm making a quick gift for a supervisor at work who is retiring. I still have clean up sanding and shaping to do, but I'm inpatient with seeing the color Pop.
I'll have to do it again
For years when I started drinking tea, I would squeeze the bag when I removed it. And for years, my hygenist yelled at me for stains on my teeth. When I learned to stop squeezing the bag, my tea stopped being so bitter and I could actually taste it, AND the staining on my teeth stopped.

When you use tea on wood, do you squeeze the bag? Does it make a difference in that application?

For years when I started drinking tea, I would squeeze the bag when I removed it. And for years, my hygenist yelled at me for stains on my teeth. When I learned to stop squeezing the bag, my tea stopped being so bitter and I could actually taste it, AND the staining on my teeth stopped.

When you use tea on wood, do you squeeze the bag? Does it make a difference in that application?
I actually didn't NEED the tea, it just helps adding tannins. For what I was doing, oak probably had enough tannins on it's own already. but another wood species definitely would benefit with the tea wash.
I just used up some older loose leaf tea my wife had laying around. That brand is local for us, and pretty high quality. I'm surprised she didn't yell at me for "wasting" her tea....haha.

* I'm a squeezer too

I actually didn't NEED the tea, it just helps adding tannins. For what I was doing, oak probably had enough tannins on it's own already. but another wood species definitely would benefit with the tea wash.
I just used up some older loose leaf tea my wife had laying around. That brand is local for us, and pretty high quality. I'm surprised she didn't yell at me for "wasting" her tea....haha.

* I'm a squeezer too
Those of us who do squeeze the tea bag, I think it comes from being told to eat everything on your plate as a kid. There were six kids in my family, so you ate everything. So no wasting the tea bag as some more tea could be squeezed out. My mom actually used a single tea bag twice, then squeezed it by wrapping the string around it and a spoon to wring out the last black tea goodness. So I have to ask, does it really taste different if you do not squeeze the bag? It was black tea, so can you tell a difference? ;)

Those of us who do squeeze the tea bag, I think it comes from being told to eat everything on your plate as a kid. There were six kids in my family, so you ate everything. So no wasting the tea bag as some more tea could be squeezed out. My mom actually used a single tea bag twice, then squeezed it by wrapping the string around it and a spoon to wring out the last black tea goodness. So I have to ask, does it really taste different if you do not squeeze the bag? It was black tea, so can you tell a difference? ;)
I can’t say that I was taught to squeeze the bag, but it’s what my Mom always did so I followed suit without giving it a second thought - also by wrapping the string around the spoon.

In my quest to find a solution to constantly staining my teeth I found an article explaining how squeezing the bag releases more tannins from the plant material into the tea leading to staining and making the tea more bitter. All I know is when I stopped squeezing every last drop out of the bag, the staining stopped, and the tea tasted better. This was with English Breakfast Tea. It still bugs me to leave those last few drops, but my teeth have been better for it.

Back