Lets talk GEC!

I do kinda think the 87 is maybe just a little slim or skinny for it's length - I'm calling her my "slender girl".

Also, now that I have about 2 dozen GEC knives, is it heresy to say that I'd like to see them start making some in 14C28N or Nitro-V? Haters gonna hate, so come at me bro!

I would like an 87 if it were scaled down just a tad. I really, really liked the flat engraved bolsters on the Northfield 87's. They were stunning knives

Just wow! These Improved Trappers are really something special! In this configuration, I think it's actually a top three GEC release for me! Great action on mine. I'd call the pull a solid six, easing close to a seven... Which I like considerably more than the five or so I've been experiencing on a lot of the GECs released over the past few years. Fit and finish is great. Really nice work on the shield. Blade finish is fantastic. The pins on my example are mindboggling. So skillfully done! My favorite part is probably the nail nicks. Just DIVINE!!! The way the blades sit together is just a work of art. And check out that bolster! So nice!

The wharncliffe blade is a hair from becoming too proud. After a sharpening or two, I'll probably have to do a little work to the kick. Aside from that, I think this is the best GEC release in quite some time!

Bravo knifeswapper knifeswapper and Great Eastern Cultery!

pq9LWHb.jpeg

AsiBIvy.jpeg

Just wow! These Improved Trappers are really something special! In this configuration, I think it's actually a top three GEC release for me! Great action on mine. I'd call the pull a solid six, easing close to a seven... Which I like considerably more than the five or so I've been experiencing on a lot of the GECs released over the past few years. Fit and finish is great. Really nice work on the shield. Blade finish is fantastic. The pins on my example are mindboggling. So skillfully done! My favorite part is probably the nail nicks. Just DIVINE!!! The way the blades sit together is just a work of art. And check out that bolster! So nice!

The wharncliffe blade is a hair from becoming too proud. After a sharpening or two, I'll probably have to do a little work to the kick. Aside from that, I think this is the best GEC release in quite some time!

Bravo knifeswapper knifeswapper and Great Eastern Cultery!

pq9LWHb.jpeg

AsiBIvy.jpeg
Glad you got a good example! Mine is equally nice. I agree this is one of the best I've seen from GEC recently. Really looking forward to the rest of this year if GEC keeps this up!

The Che Chen rosewood used in the 48s is some of the best GEC has offered. Normally it is muddy brown, but my copy and many that have been pictured, have very nice contrasting grain and character.

The Che Chen is my pick for best 48, though the Blackwood is very nice and I am sad I was not able to get one!

Last edited:
This one arrived today I value you opinions and thoughts please.

It is very good indeed. The first I've seen from this 2011 release, and the first with a bare end (none the worse for that). My Bird Dogs are from the 2018 release (Micarta, Mustard JB and Stag), all 2-blade versions like yours. Then I got one of last year's single-bladed Dog Leg Jacks (Che Chen), and realised the #56 is one of the few patterns I prefer in the 2-blade version - better in hand and to my eye better looking too. Would dearly like to get my hands around the 3-bladed #56 Weaver Jack made in that same 2011 run!

Back