Magnacut Is In The House!!!

What makes Magnacut more difficult to sharpen than D3V?...is it carbides or optimal HT...both? I have never used it.
That’s a good question, I was using info from “hearsay” that Magnacut is harder to sharpen than 3V. This could be due to the higher 62hrc compared to the industry standard 3V 60hrc.
Doesn’t mean Magnacut is hard to sharpen at all. Just when compared with the three I was trying to find a 1st 2nd 3rd order.

I should clarify Im no scientist. The little write up I did were my thoughts given my experience and what I’ve researched
Please don’t take any of this as the end all truth😅.

If you have different/contradictory info please feel free to share it. I like learning:thumbsup:

That’s a good question, I was using info from “hearsay” that Magnacut is harder to sharpen than 3V. This could be due to the higher 62hrc compared to the industry standard 3V 60hrc.
Doesn’t mean Magnacut is hard to sharpen at all. Just when compared with the three I was trying to find a 1st 2nd 3rd order.

I should clarify Im no scientist. The little write up I did were my thoughts given my experience and what I’ve researched

If you have different/contradictory info please feel free to share it. I like learning:thumbsup:

I don't mean to say you're wrong, I just meant to say these little distinctions can make big differences in what is really being communicated and you have to be careful or people get the wrong idea.

Just answered my own question...looks like carbides are relatively small when compared to other steels' microstructures I'm used to using and sharpening...so I'll give it a whirl.

Not a fan of big carbides, ymmv.

I just received my Busse Battle Mistress with the stonewashed blade, and if they offer the Magnacut knives with this finish I will be very happy!

I have a Carothers D3V Field Knife and a Spyderco Magnacut Mule. I use a Wicked Edge for sharpening and haven't really noticed a difference between the two when it comes to ease of sharpening. It seems really easy to put a really nice edge on both.

Wow, it would appear the Boss Man was trying to sneak a peek at the upcoming offers from the Swamp, he doesn't know it yet but I have eyes everywhere. Thankfully the only thing he was able to see were empty bottles and steel chips laying everywhere (aftermath of New Years Eve machining madness). Now I just need to remember where I hid the finished knives!

If you got good steel why not use it. You say you got Magnacut but you put out knives made of 50100B. I would have purchased a MC Bog runner. I will continue to wait on the Busse Kin sidelines.

If you got good steel why not use it. You say you got Magnacut but you put out knives made of 50100B. I would have purchased a MC Bog runner. I will continue to wait on the Busse Kin sidelines.
Agreed.. I'll wait. Unbreakable monsters is Busse's milue kinda.. 500100-B is pretty bombproof, but its also not a far cry from 1095 either. So not really an upgrade to anything we're used to.. I'm just not willing to pay the same price as in the past for that. Not saying I expect the newest craziest stuff (not that what I want matters at all), but if you have something like Magnacut presumably just lying around..

Last edited:
50100B is not being touted as Busse's "new" steel or a permanent addition or a replacement for SR101.

I mean "Lab Rats" right ???

50100B is not being touted as Busse's "new" steel or a permanent addition or a replacement for SR101.

I mean "Lab Rats" right ???

Exactly.. and they already did a run of blades in it. So why not make this from magnacut?

I get they don't want tons of unused steel around but this isn't something special or anything. Hell, it's really not even that much different from the rattitude in the first place. Smaller choil, and a trailing point ground in is the only real difference. It's exactly the same handle (which isn't great by their standards imo).

They could've used the leftover steel for something cool like hog, rat, and dog keychains or even something useless like a mini prybar. They haven't made any cool knickknacks in a long time.. their merch store is essentially a graveyard.

Exactly.. and they already did a run of blades in it. So why not make this from magnacut?

I get they don't want tons of unused steel around but this isn't something special or anything. Hell, it's really not even that much different from the rattitude in the first place. Smaller choil, and a trailing point ground in is the only real difference. It's exactly the same handle (which isn't great by their standards imo).

They could've used the leftover steel for something cool like hog, rat, and dog keychains or even something useless like a mini prybar. They haven't made any cool knickknacks in a long time.. their merch store is essentially a graveyard.

I wouldn't expect Swamp Rat to move quickly on anything at this point. I do not believe this has ever been the case and it seems to be the case more than ever moving forward. Free Reign doesn't necessarily mean unlimited resources or shop time, though it may certainly mean free to experiment and make choices upon knife design, materials, etc.

….well the Lab Rat post from Jerry seems to indicate that there will be a run of blades from the leftovers. At the moment that is this steel. There may then be others. I frankly don’t want a knife company making trinkets, make knives than. People will either buy them or not, seems people are buying them still. When they bring MC to the table I am sure it will be well done as they seem to do but K could also care less if they never do.

Back