My vintage Cold Steel pictures, discussions, and general shenanigans

As above, the first version of the Recon Tanto was a cheaper version of the regular tanto. The blade wasn't highly polished and had a subdued finish on it, and the pommel was more rounded than the "skull crusher!" they liked to talk about. If you compare the picture of my Recon Tanto in post 33 to the pictures in the CS mags, you'll see the difference in pommels.

Also, it's my understanding that all the brass furniture tantos had 5-3/4" blades. At some point between the 88 catalog, and the next one I have seen, the 93-94 one, CS went to both a 6" blade, and stainless steel furniture. Now there were a few 5-3/4" blades with stainless furniture - the Special Ops one I have, and the Imperial version.

The fact is, the Chicoms, thanks to the transfer of manufacturing knowledge and technology, can produce not only very close copies, but great knives in general. There's also the "fourth shift" where the knockoffs are made on the same lines by the same people, the only difference being Lynn wouldn't get his cut. You have a fantastic collection anyway and, as strange as it seems, a good copy is a neat part of the collection, showing how popular CS knives are!

Well, when I busted out my magnifying glass, this "Outdoorsman" isn't that great. The blade itself looks fine, and has a high level of detail - probably to lure suckers like me in. But the rubber handle is a different texture and has a different feel that my other knives, and the pommel isn't threaded on completely in line with the crossguard. So yeah, a fake.

I had wondered why on eBay, you'll go awhile without seeing a certain style of knife, then there are a bunch on. Such as, it's been awhile since the Big Bear and Military classic have been offered, but lately there are a lot. Maybe someone commissions a bunch of counterfeit ones, then sells them off via different accounts on eBay. Something to watch for then, if there are 3-4 of the same relatively rare knife being offered at once, and from sellers that are businesses and not individuals selling off their collection or their family members.

OK, with that unpleasantness behind us, back to actual Cold Steel knives.

A solo picture of the Mini Tanto. I'm not a huge fan of them (too small especially the handle), but you don't see too many from the 80's, with the brass hardware, so I had to snatch it up. Was about $250 which is decent for this version.

Mini_Tanto___13AS_jpg-2539061.JPG

Let's talk Vaqueros!

These came out starting in 96, for the big 6" version, with other sizes in the 1998 catalog. They had this interesting curved blade, which was stated to allow for better slicing than a straight edge, and most were serrated.

There were 4 sizes, 6 and 5 and 4 and 3 inch versions, with the 4 and 3 also having a non-serrated edge.

First up is the big boy, the 6 inch Vaquero Grande, with a nice kydex sheath.

Vaquero_Grande___21GNS_jpg-2494515.JPG

Then there's the 5 inch version, which is my everyday pocket carry. If you need a knife, you need a knife!

Large_Vaquero____21LNS_jpg-2494522.JPG

The 4 inch version had both serrated and smooth edges, and was called the El Hombre:

El_Hombre__Smooth___22EHL_jpg-2494526.JPG

El_Hombre_Sereated___22EHLS_jpg-2494527.JPG

Finally, the 3 inch version was called the El Lobo. I only have the smooth edge, and need to get a serrated one:

El_Lobo__Smooth___22W_jpg-2494528.JPG

The Special Forces Shovel!!!

This one was marketed as being some sort of super Russian Spectnaz (sp) weapon that could dig, stab, club, be thrown, and swat bullets out of the air like Camouflage in the great song by Stan Ridgway.

Hype aside, it's a handy shovel, and I keep one in my car both for digging, and holding off hordes of blood sucking leftists, if required.

Special_Forces_Shovel___92SF_jpg-2497278.JPG

Last edited:
Cold Steel began selling a series of "classic military knives, around 1993. The first one was called the Military Classic, and was listed as $147 bucks in the 95 catalog, compared to $240 for their tanto. They must not have made a whole lot of these, as they go for 400-500 bucks on Ebay, compared to 300 ish for the tanos.

In 95 CS came out with the Black Bear Classic, which was a pretty wicket looking double edge knife. Price was $220. As with the Military Classic, in good shape these early models go for $400 or more.

Later on, CS made the same pattern knife, but in a more utilitarian format - Kydex sheaths, either black epoxy coating over Carbon V steel, or stainless from Japan, both with the rubber grips instead of fancy micarta. They also called them different names - the Military Classic was called the ODA, the Black Bear Classic was the OSS (both had the same outline pattern of blades and handles), and they offered another version, the UWK, which was pattered after the Vietnam era SOG knife.

Unlike the Tantos and Trailmasters, I never was that into these when they first came out. I picked up a Carbon V ODA off Ebay as it was a good price, and I have to say, based on balance and feel, it's a very good knife. It and the SKR would be great knock around military knives for close in combat, or more likely opening up MRE's and other boring stuff.

This OSS is actually a Taiwan version, so not the classic Japan or Carbon V vantage, but was being offered at like 80 buck or so on Ebay, so I had to pick it up. The double hilt does really lock your hand in place but seems like more hassle than it's worth. With the double edge and long (8-1/4") blade, it is fierce looking. I'll pick up a Carbon V version if I see one.

I need the UWK to complete the set but you rarely see those - must not have made many.

ODA___38DAC_jpg-2497328.JPG

OSS___39LSSC_jpg-2497327.JPG

Got in the R1 Military Classic last week. Looks brand new, even has the original sharpening stone in the sheath. It's a nice looking knife, and I'd already decided I liked the blade pattern from the ODA version I owned, with the same pattern in Carbon V with the coating.

R1_Military_Classic___14R1_jpg-2535439.JPG

Picture of both:
R1_Military_Classic_and_ODA_jpg-2535464.JPG

I'd be happy to post about my SRK in Desert Storm, where it resulted in the demise of many an MRE. I looked but didn't see that topic - can you post a link to it?
Sure, no problem. Here's the link:

Well, upon further inspection, I don't see any lamination lines on the Outdoorsman, either along the top spine, or on the sides of the blade. The left side of the blade also has the VG-1 San Mai with the three strips on it, while in my catalogs up to 2008. they all show it just saying Outdoorsman on the left.

So it's most likely a fake. Surprised me, as the fakes I've seen on eBay are pretty crude looking, without the proper font or wording on the blade.

A shame, as it certainly feels like a good knife, and you can't tell by looking at it that's it's a fake save for the lamination line. Even had the full "bone breaker" section and 7 notches in the very back top of the blade. I guess the non-original sheath should have been a tip off, but you do see lots of CS's sold without a sheath at all. 20 years later, blades often get separated from their sheaths.
I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping that you just had an unusual model with a replacement sheath. Cold Steel counterfeits are extremely prevalent, and eBay and Amazon have made their sales way too easy and lucrative.

-Steve

I've bought a lot off eBay, and the Outdoorsman is the first fake one I've (unforutanly) bought. Should have known from the non-CS sheath, but as above, knives and sheaths do get separated.

I got worried about the stainless Recon Scout I bought a month back, so had to check it out last night hunting for the lamination seam, which thankfully was there. I figured it was real as everything about that one (sheath, grip, feel) was 100%. But I will be more carful in the future, and as above, watch out when there are 3-4 of the same relatively rare version for sale at once.

I've bought a lot off eBay, and the Outdoorsman is the first fake one I've (unforutanly) bought. Should have known from the non-CS sheath, but as above, knives and sheaths do get separated.

I got worried about the stainless Recon Scout I bought a month back, so had to check it out last night hunting for the lamination seam, which thankfully was there. I figured it was real as everything about that one (sheath, grip, feel) was 100%. But I will be more carful in the future, and as above, watch out when there are 3-4 of the same relatively rare version for sale at once.

Can you see the core VG1 running through the center of the spine of your SM III Recon Scout? And your blade is convex ground?
It should look like the picture below.
Franky I seriously doubt any counterfeits of the San Mai Recon Bowie were ever made. The markings on your knife, although worn, look accurate.
s2SJpI.jpg

Last edited:

This one was marketed as being some sort of super Russian Spectnaz (sp) weapon that could dig, stab, club, be thrown, and swat bullets out of the air like Camouflage in the great song by Stan Ridgway.

Hype aside, it's a handy shovel, and I keep one in my car both for digging, and holding off hordes of blood sucking leftists, if required.

First, thanks for all the great pics of your knives. Totally awesome collection.

Second, I don't think this shovel is Cold Steel product. I don't recall ever seeing this offered by Cold Steel, (not this design anyway). The earliest that Cold Steel offered the Special Forces Shovel that I could find was in the 1995 catalog. From there up to the 2009 catalog, it is the same design as can be found on the Cold Steel website, or any number of knife dealer websites that carry the SF Shovel. And it probably has bee the same to the present day. (As of this writing I haven't checked the 2010-2021 catalogs, and it is the same in the 2022 as in the 1995-2009 catalogs)

I don't know where you got that shovel, but is definitely not a Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel. Thought you should know.

Perhaps jlauffer or The Whip or other knowledgable folks would like to chime in....

First, thanks for all the great pics of your knives. Totally awesome collection.

Second, I don't think this shovel is Cold Steel product. I don't recall ever seeing this offered by Cold Steel, (not this design anyway). The earliest that Cold Steel offered the Special Forces Shovel that I could find was in the 1995 catalog. From there up to the 2009 catalog, it is the same design as can be found on the Cold Steel website, or any number of knife dealer websites that carry the SF Shovel. And it probably has bee the same to the present day. (As of this writing I haven't checked the 2010-2021 catalogs, and it is the same in the 2022 as in the 1995-2009 catalogs)

I don't know where you got that shovel, but is definitely not a Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel. Thought you should know.

Perhaps jlauffer or The Whip or other knowledgable folks would like to chime in....
Yeah I was surprised to see the squared-off tip in the pic. Have always known it to have a point, but it's not a product that I really followed.

I had wondered why on eBay, you'll go awhile without seeing a certain style of knife, then there are a bunch on. Such as, it's been awhile since the Big Bear and Military classic have been offered, but lately there are a lot. Maybe someone commissions a bunch of counterfeit ones, then sells them off via different accounts on eBay. Something to watch for then, if there are 3-4 of the same relatively rare knife being offered at once, and from sellers that are businesses and not individuals selling off their collection or their family members.

Not disagreeing with you. But I have noticed that some times there are a larger amount than usual being sold all at the same time because someone sold the item for a higher than usual price and now others are trying to get the same price. I've seen this happen more than a few times over the years. Or, its just the Holiday season.

I gotta ask. You know that's not a CS Special Forces Shovel, right?

I'm also not an expert, but that's an actual military shovel, not a Cold Steel product. I believe it's German, roughly World War II vintage. If it came from Cold Steel, it was sold back when they were offering military surplus items out of the Special Projects catalog.

-Steve

Well darn, that makes 3 things I thought were CS that aren't.

Yeah, from the pictures the CS shovels were spaded type, while this one is squared off. Can't for the life of me remember where I bought it. Probably some mail order catalog. Thanks for the proof check.

Got in a new to me Cold Steel a few weeks ago, a Recon Scout.

Recon_Scout___37C_jpg-2524979.JPG

I already has the more rare Japanese, stainless version, so now I have the set.

Out of all the CS knives, I have to say this one feels top 3. It's the same blade pattern and handle as the Trailmaster, but the 1-1/2" shorter blade makes it far handier, and it feels more comfortable to swing around. The Trailmaster is a gorgeous, classic knife, but at a full 9 inches it's a bit too long for most use. I'd probably lash the black Recon Scout to my gear if things got serious.

Recon_Scouts_jpg-2524986.JPG

Recon Scouts with the Trailmasters. To have a complete collection, I'd need the Japanese Trailmaster, and the one with the Cocobolo wood handle.

Trailmaster_Collection_jpg-2524988.JPG

This one isn't a Cold Steel, but I'm including it here as I lusted after it in the same display case as the Trailmaster

The Gerber version of the Bowie knife came out I believe in the late 80's - same Crocodile Dundee craze for big knives. It was quite a bit cheaper back then than the Trailmaster, and had more of a subdued finish than the bright ones of the CS ones. I think it was 100 when the Trailmaster was 200.

Now though, they run as much as Trailmasters or more. This one I picked up on Ebay for 250-300 bucks.

Gerber_bowie_jpg-2497393.JPG

Back