My vintage Cold Steel pictures, discussions, and general shenanigans

OK, last set of photos from the collection, saving the biggest for last.

Kukris!

The first one I bought was this one, circa 1993 as I bought it while in the Army at Ft. Hood. I was living in such a dumpy apartment I remember thinking I could chop my way through one of the walls with it.

LTC_Kukri___35LT_jpg-2497749.JPG

Later on, in 1998, Cold Steel made a bigger and more impressive version, the Gurkha Kukri. 12 inch blade, 17 inches overall, and a whopping 22 ounces, at a 5/16" blade thickness. Huge knife by any standard, and quite impressive. They also made a thinner and lighter version with an epoxy finish.

My next kukri was one after CS had moved production away from Japan and the US. This one is from China, and while CS had issues from what I'd read with manufacturing there, and moved production to Taiwan, this one looks and feels great, and has a very sharp edge.
Gurkha_Kukri___35ATCB_jpg-2497800.JPG

Next up is a pretty rare one, the mini kukri. This model came out in 2000, and is a smaller version with a blade of 9-1/2", and is handy enough to actually carry around.

Mini_Gurkha_Light_Kukri___35GKS_jpg-2497807.JPG

Recently I picked up a USA made Carbon V kukri, with a black epoxy finish. While Cold Steel had made such a finish since they came out with the kukri line in 95, they were all the lightweight version, with a thinner blade. In 2002 CS made a coated version with the same 5/16" thick blade as the polished one.

Gurkha_Kukri___35ATCBB_jpg-2497812.JPG

Kurkis:

Kukris_jpg-2497813.JPG

Last edited:
That's my collection, now three less thanks to you guys sharp eyes.

Things I'm lookin at on eBay (now don't run off there and bid these up!)

1. Gen 1 Trailmaster with stag handle.

2. ATC in Carbon V with the bright polish finish - looks very impressive. I think these were from the Special Projects line, and were circa 90-92, is that correct?

Got in a new to me Cold Steel a few weeks ago, a Recon Scout.

Recon_Scout___37C_jpg-2524979.JPG

I already has the more rare Japanese, stainless version, so now I have the set.

Out of all the CS knives, I have to say this one feels top 3. It's the same blade pattern and handle as the Trailmaster, but the 1-1/2" shorter blade makes it far handier, and it feels more comfortable to swing around. The Trailmaster is a gorgeous, classic knife, but at a full 9 inches it's a bit too long for most use. I'd probably lash the black Recon Scout to my gear if things got serious.

Recon_Scouts_jpg-2524986.JPG

Recon Scouts with the Trailmasters. To have a complete collection, I'd need the Japanese Trailmaster, and the one with the Cocobolo wood handle.

Trailmaster_Collection_jpg-2524988.JPG
There's a few more Trail Masters you'd need to have a complete set (check the history thread), but I'm not aware of one with cocobolo handle. Besides the stag version, the only other handle type I know of is the Flight of the Intruder version with micarta.

Very nice.
What's your photo set up? Do you have a light box or some fancy way to light things? I have a good camera, but find it hard to get nice photos of shinny things like guns or knives as either the flash bounces back and overexposes it, or the photo is too dark.

There's a few more Trail Masters you'd need to have a complete set (check the history thread), but I'm not aware of one with cocobolo handle. Besides the stag version, the only other handle type I know of is the Flight of the Intruder version with micarta.

The Laredo Bowie knife had what looked like a cocobolo grip - either real (maybe on the early ones) or fake looking wood. The top edge on that was listed as being sharpened too - not sure how sharp it was. It's kinda sort of a Trailmaster.

Full set of Trailmasters, I'd think if you wanted them all would be:

Brass hardware USA made Carbon V, 1st Gen with the blade notch in front of the crossguard
Brass hardware USA made Carbon V, 1st Gen with the blade notch in front of the crossguard, with stag handle
As those two, but later models without the notch
Stainless hardware Japan made stainless steel
Maybe a Japan made Carbon V one - they do exist but are very rare
Recon Scout parkarized blade and no Cold Steel markings (the "sterile" one)
Recon Scout epoxy finish
Recon Scout Japan stainless
Flight of the Intruder Trailmaster (on my to get list)
Laredo bowie, as it's more a Trailmaster than it's not.

Last edited:
The Laredo Bowie knife had what looked like a cocobolo grip - either real (maybe on the early ones) or fake looking wood. The top edge on that was listed as being sharpened too - not sure how sharp it was. It's kinda sort of a Trailmaster.

Full set of Trailmasters, I'd think if you wanted them all would be:

Brass hardware USA made Carbon V, 1st Gen with the blade notch in front of the crossguard
As those two, but later models without the notch
Stainless hardware Japan made stainless steel
Maybe a Japan made Carbon V one - they do exist but are very rare
Recon Scout parkarized blade and no Cold Steel markings (the "sterile" one)
Recon Scout epoxy finish
Recon Scout Japan stainless
Flight of the Intruder Trailmaster (on my to get list)
Laredo bowie, as it's more a Trailmaster than it's not.
Ahh ok, didn't realize you meant the Laredo. Those had "faux cocobolo", which was basically plywood.

Your first 2 TMs listed above seem to be identical...what's the difference?

Also in regards to stainless versions made in Japan, there are a few variations:
1st Gen monosteel
2nd Gen monosteel
2nd Gen San Mai

And there were 2 versions of the sterile Recon Scouts. The very first version had a slight recurve to the blade, and then the next version was what would become the production version, but without markings.

My mistake on the first two - meant to add "with stag handle" and then didn't, updated now.

Aren't there are few Carbon V that have been seen with Made in Japan on them for the Trailmaters? I need to go back to that topic to see.

My mistake on the first two - meant to add "with stag handle" and then didn't, updated now.

Aren't there are few Carbon V that have been seen with Made in Japan on them for the Trailmaters? I need to go back to that topic to see.
Yes, there were some Carbon V TMs that were made in Japan

The Gurkha Kukri!

This beast of a blade came out in 1998, and as Cold Steel said in their catalog:

The Gurkha Kukri takes advantage of its downward curving blade, and places its edge at an angle to a target, creating a powerful shearing effect.

The flat ground blade forms a long, shallow “V”shaped cross section, which is ideal for maximum shearing power.

The Gurkha Kukri will out-chop any factory or handmade knives, including swords twice its size — even expensive, hand forged Japanese Katanas.

The heaviest Kukri on the market, the blade is almost an inch wider near the tip than it is at the handle, which shifts the knife's balance point forward. This allows a substantial blow to be struck with minimal effort, using inertia alone to complete the cut.

I had one with the black epoxy finish on it, but needed a polished finish one for the collection, as well as just for looks. Gotta say, this thing is awesome. The finish is beautiful, and it swings like it's hungry for flesh and bone.

It was a hoot to watch the Cold Steel video about it, where various dudes, plus Lynn Thompson himself (in all black, with tie, and shall we say, a bit on the ample side), were chopping bamboo and ropes and 2x4's and cutting the head on a hog.

I picked this one up for $360 plus shipping and tax, and think I got a pretty good deal on it. The polished ones were 300-450 I think back in the 90's, as it a huge piece of steel at 5/16" thick.

Gurkha_Kukri___35ATCB_jpg-2558448.JPG

Family picture of the kukris - still need a light kukri in black - the one I have is the full 5/16" thick compared to to 1/8" for the light one, and a polished LTC.

Kukris_jpg-2558449.JPG

I was bidding on a nice Imperial Tai Pan last night on eBay, but my $1575 bid wasn't enough. It went for low $1600, which seems to be the going rate anymore - 1600-1800 dollars. The knife was bought from Cold Steel as a present, and still had the receipt for $750 back in 98 or 99. So they were plenty expensive even back then.

Thank you for your service and for sharing (the journey of) your awesome Cold Steel collection! I recently started buying what I want (i.e. collecting) and have a decent number of Cold Steels now, though not vintage and with so much to buy, not sure if I'll ever go the vintage collection path :) There's a few that I've found worth looking for though, like the Filipino WWII Memorial Bolo. I am from the Philippines and migrated to the US 15 years ago and my elders fought to as far as the Spanish wars. If you'll ever find one I'd be excited to see it here.

In the mid-2000s they sold barongs for a short time, though few people remember that.

They are supposed to be coming out with a large and small kris later this year.

Thank you for your service and for sharing (the journey of) your awesome Cold Steel collection! I recently started buying what I want (i.e. collecting) and have a decent number of Cold Steels now, though not vintage and with so much to buy, not sure if I'll ever go the vintage collection path :) There's a few that I've found worth looking for though, like the Filipino WWII Memorial Bolo. I am from the Philippines and migrated to the US 15 years ago and my elders fought to as far as the Spanish wars. If you'll ever find one I'd be excited to see it here.
Hi, thanks for the nice comments. I remember those Filipino bolos - they were when CS branched out into selling swords and such. I always like that one, plus a Chinese sword that was more or less a giant hatchet on the end of a pole.

Now there's something that may be a Bolo listed on eBay now. It's called a CS barong, and has zero bids at $225. I heard we're not supposed to link to eBay, but if you type in eBay Cold Steel barong Kali Arnis it'll come up. Good luck.

That is the type that I have, though mine were seconds.

The seconds I bought don't fit their scabbards well and one had pins protruding from the handle that I had to file off, but they only cost me $150.00 for both of them back in 2006 or 2007.

Some people complained that the blades were too long but I've seen longer barongs in Zamboanga.

My aunt used one that was maybe 20" that was in her family for generations as a kitchen knife for cutting large fruit.

The handles are also thicker than any other barong in my collection but that was because they were scaled up to average American sizes.

The scabbard is also shaped differently from any other barong I've seen. Normally they will be wider at the part the blade goes in and somewhat hooked to keep it in a sash and also hooked at the end.

This one might not be a second. The sheath is the same shape but it lacks the metal caps at either end.

The Carbon V Peacekeeper is a good knife to show those who think daggers can't cut and are not useful tools.

I tested mine by chopping branches and saplings to build a survival shelter.

It basically cuts as well as any knife in the size/length/weight range.

They are nice knives. L Thompson had a long description of these knives when the came out, about how most double edged daggers were weak and easily broken, and how he (or his team) designed them to avoid those issues.

Back