New 710 release

Ok, but why is a Sebenza worth $50.00 more?

I ask this as someone who has a couple Sebenzas as well as several Benchmades.
Perhaps it’s not to you. Everyone has their own perspective. But for me , the superb fit and finish , outstanding tolerances , titanium , being able (encouraged) to take the knife apart very easily and put it back together and have it be perfectly centered every time and the wonderful spa treatment CRK offers is all worth an extra $50.

To be clear , the 710 is one of my all-time favorites. I just feel the price of the new ones may be a bit steep for what you get. However , I do love S90V. And that’s not to say that some Sebenza’s aren’t overpriced (I feel some definitely are). But in this price bracket , I think the Large PJ Sebenza is the better deal. To each his own.

Ok, but why is a Sebenza worth $50.00 more?

I ask this as someone who has a couple Sebenzas as well as several Benchmades.
Lmao seriously? Titanium and premium blade steel, machining so precise it’s won awards year after year, and some actual quality control on the products, just to name a few things. I’m not a Chris Reeve fanboy, but they’re not even in the same ballpark. CR puts out a premium, high quality, American made product that sits near the pinnacle of modern production, Benchmade puts out pretty mass-produced pocket jewelry and charges for the butterfly not the quality or product.

Should have brought it back in its original form: Basic G10, omega spring Axis lock and ATS-34...

This x100. I'd pay $200-ish +/- for a redo of the plain jane original in G10 or similar (not Grivory or plastic).

Then I was obviously wrong. Thanks for the clarification.
all good. would love to see the 710 rereleased in 154cm, it’s one of my favorite steels. not likely to happen tho since most seem to consider it outdated. if i remember correctly it’s the crucible version of ats-34 so there’s not much difference

all good. would love to see the 710 rereleased in 154cm, it’s one of my favorite steels. not likely to happen tho since most seem to consider it outdated. if i remember correctly it’s the crucible version of ats-34 so there’s not much difference
The Crucible version of 154CM is CPM154 , if memory serves. ATS-34 is the Japanese equivalent (I think Hitachi makes it). I always liked 154CM (CPM154). Holds a good edge , great corrosion resistance and easy to sharpen. It was a popular steel when I first got addicted to knives.

The new 710 versions are pretty cool. But I do wish they’d release a version with original specs (G10 and D2). Although I prefer a more stainless steel (CPM154 , S30V etc). But I’m just happy the 710 is coming back at all.

The Crucible version of 154CM is CPM154 , if memory serves. ATS-34 is the Japanese equivalent (I think Hitachi makes it).
The Crucible version of 154CM is 154CM; they originally developed the steel.

CPM154 is the same steel composition but with their powder metallurgy technology rather than ingot as 154CM; supposedly the more uniform grain structure gives CPM154 some toughness benefits over ingot 154CM.

Yeah this is too bad. I think Benchmade has lost me as a customer for good now with their new pricing structure/strategy. I have a sentimental link with the 710 and really want this new re-release… but with S90V and aluminum, it’s no where near being worth a $400 knife, even with the butterfly tax. As many have already stated, too much BETTER competition with better materials, better quality, better QC, at far lower prices. And if comparing with similarly priced competition, Benchmade just doesn’t quite measure up to the production quality of brands like CRK, Shiro, Reate, Rike, etc., even with the extra made in the USA factor, it’s not there.
Even considering a lower price tier, I have no less than a half dozen Bugouts, but Hogue offers a competitive product design in the Deka v2 with better materials at a significantly lower price. Still American made. So what’s going on with Benchmade?

I got into knives too late to purchase a 710, but ive always heard the legends and have always wanted one. The price is extremely high for what the knife is, as everyone else has already said. Ill probably still justify one, though there is a decent chance ill just wait till one shows up on the exchange and then grab it, rather than paying 400 bucks for an aluminum knife.

Such a beauty though. Id drop the weird blade finish, personally.

The seven ten in Magnacut is going to be available today. I’m tempted but will probably pass.
1714048191171.jpeg

Secondary price range on the DLC narrows is $325-350. Maybe this version will drop that low? A man can dream 🫠

Although... at least the Narrows is titanium to help justify the price. Not sure this would be justifiable even at $350. That said, I'd still grab it

Edit: Just noticed a difference from the OG. This has a new standoff by the axis spring and then a partial backspacer at the butt. Kind of neat. The OGs had a full backspacer, and special editions (like the M390 from KW) had standoffs. Pic stolen from GPK:
image.png

Looks like the backspacer is supposed to match in color with the blade but doesn't quite, so you end up with a pivot, a blade, and a backspacer that are all kind of the same but not exact matches. Maybe it's the lighting though because the blade and backspacer look similar in Frank's picture above (but still not the pivot). It seems a little unfortunate (IMO anyway) they didn't bother making the liners black as well since nothing else is silver on the knife.

Last edited:
It’s too bad they’re $600. That’s silly to me. I was fine with the low $400’s depending on materials but I have now lost all interest. For that money , I’ll just get a Sebenza or Inkosi.

It’s too bad they’re $600. That’s silly to me. I was fine with the low $400’s depending on materials but I have now lost all interest. For that money , I’ll just get a Sebenza or Inkosi.
Just for the record, the $600 one is a limited edition (aluminum/magnacut). The regular production model (aluminum/S90V) is $405 street:
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-710-Gray-Al-FDE-PVD-S90V--194748
-Not that I can afford either, but that’s my understanding.

Back