Pictures here! On the Bench

Lorien, please put me on the list for a Cormorant.
Have to say, I'd love one of those too - a mate for my other Lorien Bird. :cool:

View attachment 2298582

...and Lorien Lorien - mail away. :thumbsup:
List for a Cormorant ? I'm in 🙃
I'll have some pictures of the Cormorant I recently finished, I'm just waiting on my laser guy to have my mark etched onto it.

This pattern is quite difficult to make and I have about a dozen other knives in various states of completion on the bench, so it'll be awhile before I'm ready to make more of them.
When that time comes, I may end up outsourcing the cutting out of the pattern to a cnc shop. How do you guys feel about that?

Still - be cool to get the prototype. ;)

But yeah, as you see fit- we aren't running your business.

these little window handle knives- Albatross, Cormorant- are designed for cnc in the sense that they are very difficult to make otherwise. Ultimately, one cut using cnc would be more accurate and, all things being equal, a better knife than I could make here in my shop.

The knife is designed for gardening and other vegetative states. The main bevel is hollow ground, but has a tall convex secondary bevel. The area up at the front leading to the tip was ground with an appleseed bevel profile,. The hand rub blends it all so it's not obvious to look at. I was aiming to make it a little more dramatic looking, but I haven't mastered the finishing skills I need to do that with my grinder, and doing it well by hand is...fuck that!. This knife is going to live in the dirt anyway, so as long as it works who cares

v22itqd.jpg

these little window handle knives- Albatross, Cormorant- are designed for cnc in the sense that they are very difficult to make otherwise. Ultimately, one cut using cnc would be more accurate and, all things being equal, a better knife than I could make here in my shop.

I believe there is a capable CNC shop in NC that has a “pretty good” reputation for this type of work. You might have heard of them…😉

I look forward to seeing more of this line of knives.

Phil

Back