overpriced knives

Suppose you were selling a knife. As the seller you are giving something you value somewhat (your knife) in exchange for something that you value more (a sum of money). It seems reasonable to suppose that as the difference between a knife's market value or price, and its true value to its owners gets larger, more and more of these knives will be offered for sale.

All of that is a long winded way of wondering out loud whether many of the knives that keep popping up on the for sale forums are greatly over priced. Some of them are pretty highly hyped, after all, and it's hard to believe that so many people are so anxious to get rid of their copy of one of the world's wonder knives.

What do you guys and gals think?

I think you're absolutely right, and in fact, please send me your address so I can send all of my knives to you for free.

:rolleyes: :barf:

This topic has been done to death.

Nobody is going to bite on the "if-it's-so-great-why-are-you-selling-it-in-the-first-place" hook that you've baited.

Try again.

Firebat

hd2k, As you can see from the replies so far this is a very touchy
subject because the price of a knife ,or anyting else for that matter,
is relative to the cost of material and work to make the product.

When this product ,knife etc, enters the secondary market the seller
will try and recover the maximum value based on market conditions
and demand. It's called capitalism and in the U.S.A. it is alive and
well. Crevat emptor............

I'll pass along my theory/rules. . .

1. Don't like it ~ don't buy it.

2. If you want it ~ save up your pennies and get it.

3. If you have to have it right now (and don't have the $$) ~ sell one of your other knifely possessions to get it.

4. There are a few folks in the knife world who actually get a huge rush by buying and selling knives. . .

It's no big deal. . .

ooooh, FNG stumbles onto a touchy topic and scratches some thin delicate skin. Sorry 'bout that, oh great pillars of wisdom and light.

...I don't know what you meant by that last comment, and I don't really care, but I will try to answer your original question...if only for the following reasons...

A. I like to name drop...
B. I like to hear myself type...
C. I'm coming down for the rush of a 4 hour, 680 rnd. shoot...
D. I can.

As told to me by mssr's. Paul Basch and Bruce Voyles, and confirmed by others of similar 'stature' in our 'business'...

(paraphrased), "It's not worth what you paid for it, and it's not worth what 'you' think it's worth, it's only worth what someone else will pay you for it"...

What that boils down to, simply put, is...if it seems too highly priced for you, then don't buy it.

If you decide to buy 'it', buy it because you want 'it', not because you think it's worth 'something'...because it's not...unless you can find a buyer that agrees with you.

Buy knives for the 'love of knives', not for the love of anything else, money included.

Are someone else's knives priced too high? Only if 'you' buy the knife and then later feel that you paid too much...or can't resell it for what you paid...

If so, there's a name for that feeling, it's called 'Buyer's remorse', AKA 'Sour grapes', and is just another facet of 'life'... ;)

Knives are a really rotten way to make money, btw...

Mel

Posted by hd2k_va:

"a touchy topic and scratches some thin delicate skin."

Honestly, I don't believe that this is a touchy topic nor are the replies from those of "thin delicate skin."

You made statements based on emotional appeal and asserted a conclusion that isn't necessarily true and evidently, less than accepted.

You asked for "opinions" and received. Take the opinions for what you think they're worth and Live Life ~ Full Throttle !

I think that knives sell for what someone is willing to pay for them. I recently sold a Mike Snody Karma Kozuka. This knife is high demand because Mike is not taking orders right now. I sold it for less than it cost me, but not much. It sold in about half an hour. I did not sell because I did not think it was a great knife. It was sold because my taste in knives has changed and I no longer thought that having Japanese style knives was for me. The money was used to pay for the knives I now favor, hunting style knives.

Knives are not over priced if someone is willing to pay the asking price.

hd2k,
It seems your mind was already made up. Was there a particular reason for asking the question?
As for your last comment, you're the one who came seeking the answers, you got answers. Maybe we scratched some delicate skin with them.

Paul

emotional appeal ... buyer's remorse ... particular knife in mind? huh? Where did that all come from?

I just happened to notice, after being on the forums for about two months, that some of the most highly hyped knives show up on the auction block pretty frequently. Doesn't bother me much, especiallly since the knives I picked up there don't fall into that class. Do I need a particular reason to ask the question Paul, or did the question bring one of your knives to mind? It's not exactly like I'm in the Buck forum saying nasty things about the 110 :rolleyes: Or is it one of the unwritten rules here that when you see hype and its effects you should pretend not to?

Oh, regarding my comment about being overpriced, I didn't mean the prices on the for sale forums, I meant the original sticker price.

Still, I find it odd that the same brands keep popping up over and over again. The general purpose info here is really good, and I found some real gems in the maker's forums. But the Production FS forum doesn't exactly span a wide variety of manufacturers.

Well hd2k, my first response was meant tongue in cheek, sorry if it struck a nerve. As to why a person sells a knife, that's his business. Either you are interested or you aren't. Gee, maybe the guy is unloading his high priced, hyped up knife to get something he wants even more. Maybe he needs the money more than the knife. Who cares? Yes, there is not a large variety of production brands up for sale. Most here only buy the better brands to begin with, hence the lack of variety. Your FNG response was way out of line.

Paul
...Speaking from atop my pillar of wisdom.

...your vague and ambiguous post, which on the surface seemed to be the asking of a question...

Though the question, in and of itself, was seemingly vague and ambiguous; we, those of us that were considerate enough to attempt an answer to said question, were left scratching our heads.

Ergo, the question on our part would be; what was your question, what information are you looking for, and/or was it truly a question on your part, or simply a comment posed as a question?

To wit, and I quote (you), "Suppose you were selling a knife. As the seller you are giving something you value somewhat (your knife) in exchange for something that you value more (a sum of money). It seems reasonable to suppose that as the difference between a knife's market value or price, and its true value to its owners gets larger, more and more of these knives will be offered for sale..."

Rereading your original post for the 17th time, and your subsequent response, it occurs to me that you were either unclear on the question you were attempting to pose, unable or incapable of understanding the responses to your original 'vague and ambiguous' question/comment, or both...

Maybe a fresh start would be a good idea. I'd suggest rephrasing your question, (if indeed it 'was' a question), in a format generally understood by the majority of the BFC members, and you might get the answer that you're looking for...

Even if not, the rest of us here would at least be somewhat more clear on what it was that you were getting at, contingent on the understanding that you were 'getting at' something...which begs the question...

"What was your point?"

...after reread #18, would you please, for my edification, quantify the meaning of, or your intent, when you posted the words, "a knife's market value or price, and its true value to its owners"

I think that's where I'm having the biggest disconnect...

Mel

Back