• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Peakbagger46 - Knife Flipper

Status
Not open for further replies.
LMAO- you are not helping Coleman! ;)

šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

I do get what you are saying. I agree. I miss the days where knife prices were lower and deals were passed along to other members.
I myself am very quickly being pushed out from a lot of knives I would like to try because of high prices.

This is the golden age of knives.

Iā€™ve noticed members who jump on good fairly priced knives within secondsā€¦and those knives are no longer seen here. Itā€™s sad really.

ā€¢Clutching pearls over harm to ā€œour communityā€
ā€¢2023 account

ā€¢Clutching pearls over harm to ā€œour communityā€
ā€¢2023 account
Why donā€™t you read the whole thing 2015 isnā€™t to far from 2011, but thanks for weighing in.

I don't have any problem with prices. It someone buys a knife, he can sell it for whatever he wants and can get. Sometimes if I'm fortunate, I'll get to sell a knife and make money off of it. Sometimes I'll cut someone a special deal for some reason. Sometimes I'll lose an arm and a leg. Largely I consider myself very fortunate if I get my cost back plus the cost of shipping, and I tend to only buy hard to get knives. If I bought commonly available ones, I'd lose my shirt all the time.

The only real problem I have is that this guy appears to be making a business out of reselling knives, which I think does clearly make him a dealer, even if the line between dealer and frequent personal seller does get blurry.

I don't have any problem with prices. It someone buys a knife, he can sell it for whatever he wants and can get. Sometimes if I'm fortunate, I'll get to sell a knife and make money off of it. Sometimes I'll cut someone a special deal for some reason. Sometimes I'll lose an arm and a leg. Largely I consider myself very fortunate if I get my cost back plus the cost of shipping, and I tend to only buy hard to get knives. If I bought commonly available ones, I'd lose my shirt all the time.

The only real problem I have is that this guy appears to be making a business out of reselling knives, which I think does clearly make him a dealer, even if the line between dealer and frequent personal seller does get blurry.
I agree, I feel like he should go through the proper venue. It seems like a side hustle, but heā€™s bought and resold enough knives to appear like a small time dealer.

I agree, I feel like he should go through the proper venue. It seems like a side hustle, but heā€™s bought and resold enough knives to appear like a small time dealer.
I will say on the one hand that it might be reasonable to have some sort of intermediary membership. This guy's eBay store is clearly a side hustle, but a side hustle is not the same as being Blade HQ or DLT or KSF. Unless you're selling literally dozens of knives in a month and making net profit on all of them, it's unlikely you're making enough money to financially justify paying for a dealer membership here when you can just sell on Facebook, Instagram, and Reddit for $0. Honestly this is a discussion board with a B/S/T subforum, not a B/S/T site that also discusses knives, so truth be told it is not a great place to sell.

I will say on the one hand that it might be reasonable to have some sort of intermediary membership. This guy's eBay store is clearly a side hustle, but a side hustle is not the same as being Blade HQ or DLT or KSF. Unless you're selling literally dozens of knives in a month and making net profit on all of them, it's unlikely you're making enough money to financially justify paying for a dealer membership here when you can just sell on Facebook, Instagram, and Reddit for $0. Honestly this is a discussion board with a B/S/T subforum, not a B/S/T site that also discusses knives, so truth be told it is not a great place to sell.
Not a great place to sell for profit. But it is a great place to buy and sell amongst ourselves for fair prices as has been the practice for years.
Again I donā€™t blame a guy for making a buck, I blame him for taking advantage of members good nature and willingness to to sell to one another fairly and respectfully.

This type of practice is a bit hard to police, and Iā€™m certainly guilty of making a buck on a knife here, just as much as I am for taking a shellacking on a knife here (no one complains when you lose a lot of money, do they?). If people are concerned about someone buying a knife for under market and then flipping it for more, then you have two great alternatives I can think of:

1. List your knife for a higher price to dissuade flipping. It will cost the ā€œcommunityā€ of enthusiasts more, but the knife is more likely to end up at what you deem to be a good home. This seems counterintuitive, but you canā€™t fight the market, and if a knife is more valuable than for what you listed, you will invite the practice of flipping. Even a ā€œgoodā€ member might do the math and say - well I canā€™t lose at this price, and maybe if I donā€™t like the knife, Iā€™ll make my money back and maybe even an extra buck.

2. Sell directly to friends. Strike up conversations with people youā€™ve met on the forum. Iā€™ve sold a lot of knives for cost to me or less than market directly to people Iā€™ve met. We call this a community, but itā€™s an open forum that anyone can join. Ultimately, itā€™s full of good people you can get to know, and I have several close friends that I have met solely through this site that I talk to regularly about knives, family, and more.

That's why I edited the comment, not sure what he paid for that particular Umnumzaan, if he list's the one he just bought for around the similar price as you mentioned that's definitely not a lot of profit margin if any.

But strictly in the exchange rules DEALER / MATERIALS PROVIDER - Dealers are defined as anyone who purchases at wholesale pricing, or purchases items with the intent to resell (flipping). Other terms for dealers include purveyor, broker, reseller, etc. Materials Providers offer raw materials such as steel, handle materials, or other items related to knifemaking in general as typical stock for sale to the forum members or to the general public via their own store front or website. We reserve the right to make the final determination as to what constitutes a "dealer".

Clearly he's buying and flipping......whether he flips for a profit remains to be seen lol.

I apologize, I see your edit now.
I will say I am a lefty crk collector and I remember vaguely both of these zaans being listed. Prices were very similar. Neither were crazy ā€œbro dealsā€. So Iā€™m guessing both would be in the same range.

I just want to add that Iā€™ve had multiple instances (at least twice) where Iā€™ve had a knife listed and no one was biting. Peakbagger ended up claiming it. He didnā€™t pm me asking if Iā€™d take less. He paid me instantly. No hassle. He didnā€™t come swooping in within minutes saying heā€™d take it. This was after they had been posted for 30 min or more.

Was I happy he bought my knife for asking with no haggle? Absolutely

Was I mad when I saw the same knife on eBay a week later for $100 more? No. I canā€™t be upset at him because I was happy he bought it from me in the first place. Maybe I get a little jealous because I could have just listed it on eBay! But I canā€™t hate the player.

I have had a transaction with P Peakbagger46 and he was very pleasant to deal with. He could be just a guy who likes to check out all knives. I have no idea.

Iā€™ll let the mods decide on this one.

I stand by my previous post thoughā€¦I sure miss the days of ā€œinexpensiveā€ high quality knives.

I just want to add that Iā€™ve had multiple instances (at least twice) where Iā€™ve had a knife listed and no one was biting. Peakbagger ended up claiming it. He didnā€™t pm me asking if Iā€™d take less. He paid me instantly. No hassle. He didnā€™t come swooping in within minutes saying heā€™d take it. This was after they had been posted for 30 min or more.

Was I mad when I saw the same knife on eBay a week later for $100 more? No. I canā€™t be upset at him because I was happy he bought it from me in the first place. Maybe I get a little jealous because I could have just listed it on eBay! But I canā€™t hate the player.
This is a great point. There have been several times where I moved a knife extremely quickly for what I paid (or less) not caring if I could make more somewhere else. When youā€™re constantly using PayPal friends and family, and trying to do so without credit card fees, you might just want money quick to fund the next purchase. When I moved a holt for bottom dollar, it wasnā€™t altruism - it was me being an addict trying to quickly fund an Arius lol. Did the buyer sell the knife for more on eBay? Donā€™t know, donā€™t care.

In general when I sell a knife, I feel it is theirs to do as they wish. If they get more for it when they sell, so be it. However I would not sell to someone I felt had no interest in the knife than to resell it for a profit, unless I knowingly am dealing with a business and then profit motivation is a given.
If he gets a dealer membership, I have no problem if he buys knives just to make a profit, but then I still can choose to sell to him or someone else here.

Last edited:

99% of the time I wouldn't care if someone is trying to flip a knife......well....depending on how much he's trying to flip it for I suppose but I think what irks me on this forum is when the flippers are not part of the community what so ever as they use this website strictly to buy or sell knives and never post out of that area.

Those people should be dealers or mandatorily have to buy a gold membership etc. Some don't even have a gold membership.

99% of the time I wouldn't care if someone is trying to flip a knife......well....depending on how much he's trying to flip it for I suppose but I think what irks me on this forum is when the flippers are not part of the community what so ever as they use this website strictly to buy or sell knives and never post out of that area.

Those people should be dealers or mandatorily have to buy a gold membership etc. Some don't even have a gold membership.
Where are these folks posting on the Exchange without a Gold membership?

And if they are posting sales in discussion threads or someone else's Exchange thread, they should be brought to our attention via the "report button. 100% of those I have encountered have been dealt with, often quite harshly...with violators receiving admonitions, warnings or being kicked over the side.

As for cleaning up Dodge City, I pride myself on culling the worst of offenders...but the fact remains that the numbers needing cleanup on any given day are daunting for a volunteer staff of essentially four individuals... rycen rycen , Boru13 Boru13 , myself and knarfeng knarfeng . So unless we rewrite the rules, and that's up to Spark Spark to approve as the site owner, we will always be fighting an uphill battle.

Whether that is a battle worth fighting is a different matter, and as you can see from this thread alone, is subject to various interpretations.

We are not a small community...and adding additional "deputies" is not the answer either, or we will end up with a bunch of us second-guessing one another and spending countless hours moderating the moderators. The four of us work well together and with Spark Spark , and though not a perfect system, it does work surprisingly well, however exasperatingly.

Exactly, do what you want with your knife. Itā€™s the community part that Iā€™m big on. Heā€™s literally just on here to buy knives.

BTW, those prices are not horrible, within 130% or so ?

We know several flippers that ugo beyond 200% on hard to obtain knives, also selling here, not just on ebay.

I don't like flippers. Then again, when I sell a knife I made my peace with the process, once somebody buys (and has it in hands, I should add), they can do whatever they want with it. I once had somebody sell a knife within hours that he bought from me, it wasn't even shipped yet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back