Review Ruike Jager fixed blade Model F118-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings folks, while I'm not a 'reviewer' per se, I do happen to see a lot of knives pass through the G2 household as I sell in order to get something new, a few more than my wife would like, but, luckily she is understanding, about my only vice, besides pumpkin pie. And a knife company asked me to do a review for them, out of the blue, so while this knife was provided to me by them, I do not flavor any reviews with a bias because of that, basically I call em' like I see them and stand by what I write concerning any knife actually.

So with that out of the way, I want to share my take on a well made fixed blade knife by the company Ruike. I have only heard of them from other folks that posted about the folders they make but this is my first in hand from them. And it is a carefully thought out design for both knife and sheath. The box that it arrived in gives you the feel that something inside is worth the packaging as the box itself is a treat too. Very thick walled box inside a tight sleeve. The knife rests in a formed section of thick foam bed, with a tidy tip protector to prevent any wandering of the knife during transit.

Ruike by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Removing the knife you see down into the box and the sheath is in view through an opening there that is the size of the belt clip.

Pulling the top to get the sheath out, nothing else lies inside, while the handle's G10 textured scales are held in place by torx screws, wrench size T8, they do not provide the tool and their instructions warns of removing parts from the knife, but I think that warning is more in regards to their folder lineup. I have not removed the scales at this time, I will do so after some carry and use and will update this review.

The blade is made from Sandvik 14C28N and arrived fairly sharp, shaving but not popping sharp, it does push cut down through 550 paracord easily, which is one test that I feel shows that the apex was reached and for me a good indicator of sharpness, lets just say I don't plan on shaving my face with this anyways! or any other knife for that matter.

The sheath is well made and adjustable for carry by pressing a lever to rotate the sheath to several angles, the retention feels solid with no rattle. They put a small hole at the bottom of the sheath for drainage.

A few spec's
Ruike gives the weight of this knife at 6.84oz
Overall length is 8 .78"
And interestingly the top section of the guard area scale is about perfectly in the center of the knife, with the actual balance of the knife at the center of the guard area. Slightly more handle heavy but only by a slim margin.

The blade is 4.37" long and fairly wide at 1.287"
The spine measures at .176" thick while it is flat ground down to a nice thin edge, I measured about .023" behind the edge, making it a real slicer.

The G10 scales have very well done texture to them and are comfortable to grip, along the bottom of the handle the scales are flush with the tang while the spine of the handle the tang rides slightly proud, or higher, than the scales, but the tang is nicely rounded off and also a very small amount of tang extends out the end of the handle, providing a strike area if needed.

There is some jimping on the spine that provides some traction during use

There are two holes on through the knife that can be for lanyards or in dire circumstances you could attach to a wooden shaft to create a spear.

A shot comparing size to a Benchmade full size Freek, which also has a wideish blade too

I think this would brighten up anyone's holiday for sure, as the price of these are amazing, see here for BladeHQ's listing

I'll update this thread after I have had a chance to carry and use this knife.
Thanks for checking,
G2

Last edited:
Great review, as always, Gary. If I was looking for someone on here to review my work, you’d be the first choice. Looks like a decent knife for the money. :thumbsup:

You are too kind sir, and yes it is a very nice knife.

My hands are medium to large, I wear a large glove but I wouldn't consider my hands really large.

across the palm measures about 3 3/8" wide
and my middle finger is about 3 1/8" long

A friend at work held the knife today and as he gripped it he thought the handle was on the small size for him

but as he gripped it he also smiled and said BUT it really feels comfortable :)

He was impressed and he is a just a budding knife knut, I groom them where I work, it is a slow process...

G2

Last edited:
Here's a couple more shots of the knife, I washed the knife off, the texture of the scales really gripped great even when wet, after I dried them off the colour is more dark grey than black for some reason, not sure but still looks good. I checked with Ruike and they said if I rubbed a bit of oil on the handle scales the colour will darken again and sure enough now they both are black and still great textured feeling too.

IMG_7246 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Here you can see the texture grooved into the scales

IMG_7247 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and one with the spec's all in one spot for you to sort out the size.

Ruike_Jager_measure by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
In the ballpark of materials and size with a mora garberg. But prettier, and inexpensive. If I were in the market for a garberg, I might go with this instead.

Hi Gary, excellent pictures and write-up. I am liking this knife.
Once again you are probably going to cause a dent in my wallet.
Great picture of the knife specs all in one shot. That is very nice and very helpful.
Looking forward to more postings on this knife

Thanks guys and Raj, I'd recommend it, I carried and used this today and worked cutting up some heavy walled boxes at work, didn't have to cut them up for recycling, but wanted to see how it handled and felt very sure in the grip and sliced through very easily. Edge is still factory, I'll wait until it is needed to be sharpened and see how that goes, want to see how well the original edge holds up.
G2

All in all, nice knife, terrific price and greate review. I like it!

Oh! And you can have it also in Green/Black G-10 scales (just checked BladeHQ)

A friend where I worked said I could take the knife in and have it Rockwell tested and so we did, came out at just about 59c Rockwell or a smidge higher, so at about what they claimed it is.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

and Mikel, yes they do have another variation, both look great.

G2

I had an opportunity to hold one of these recently and I agree that it is very comfortable to hold. Just about every surface on this knife has been radiused and finished, so there are no rough spots or 90 degree edges to bother your grip. The lack of a sharp spine is a plus for battoning and a negative for use with your fire steel.
n2s

lol indeed a coward, my first time testing any blade, but, a test at least :)

And not2sharp, yep I read and found that with comfort comes a cost, no sharp edged shoulder to strike a fire starter against, but the very few times I've made a fire using that type, I used the provided strike plate that came with it, which makes more sense then trying to use a razor sharp knife in a fire situation ;) that seems more along the desperation tactics, but, that's probably just me.

G2

I use a BIC lighter. Never leave home without one. :cool:

Agreed. I take a bic, stormproof matches, and a firesteel. I only use the firesteel when it’s nice out, and I’m not in any particular hurry. Just for fun. When it’s crappy and rainy, the firesteel is a last resort I’ve never yet needed. And if so, the awl on a SAK is a unbeatable striker.

I agree about the Bic lighter, I carry a couple as well, mainly for my para cord work but, it is portable fire all the same :)

Here are some shots taken tonight, I've been pocket carrying this at work, even with the clip attachment which is thick, it still rides in my front pocket without any problem.

IMG_7249 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

The factory edge bevel is evenly made and after a few days at work, still quite sharp,
IMG_7250 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

IMG_7251 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

And here you can see the nice contour and the texture of the scales;

IMG_7252 by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
Gary...

Thanks for the review.......
What I find attractive is the utilitarian appearance....it’s not pretending to be anything else but a get it done tool....And along with the rounded spine and textured scales it’s easy to see thought when in

Welcome Jim, it is a no nonsense knife for sure, some thoughts on the sheath;

The rotating clip is held onto the sheath using studs that are D shaped which make it easier to tighten down, nice touch there I thought.

also the entrance has a rubber grommet that you can snug down to suit your retention strength requirements, also a nice touch too and the stud is also D shaped for this as well.

I am using a static cord setup as the clip for using at work makes it kinda stand out, but then any clip on the belt would do the same, the static cord setup allows me to slip the sheath inside the waist band, or I can let drop into a pocket.

G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back