Russell Green River Knives

I'm all for this thread! I love the Russell's and have a couple fixed blade knives but only one folder. I'm sure the pile will eventually grow but I've been pretty adamant about finding really nice ones, which has prevented me from buying any more folders after this knife.

20230608_175236~2.jpg
This rope knife was make in the thirties for Russell, according to the tang stamp and information dug up on this forum. It is a very well made tool with half stops and a decently strong pull.

My most used fixed blade over the past 20 years is a Russell and I'll get some photos later tonight. I'm not sure who makes the newer ones or the nice green river blade blanks that they offer. Probably has something to do with Dexter in the "Dexter Russell" name.

This was given to me over 20 years ago. It's been rode hard and (unfortunately) put away wet. Blade etch is long gone.

Still has a couple million miles left on it. Pretty wood with crazy chatoyance but I'm not sure what it is.

20230926_160906~2.jpg

Couple patch knife blanks. One just got some maple burl and one turned into a friction folder. Learned really quick that I dislike cutlers rivets. Won't use them again!

Screenshot_20230714-094741~2.png20230714_083953~2.jpg

Last edited:
One I made up for a guide in Canada from a Green River blank:

2Ug8XvT.jpg

Years ago I made a trade with a lady. She'd inherited a box of Green River blades from her father and I traded one of my knives for it and another box of handle materials. Although I still have quite a few left I've made up some through the years:

OxPZa0t.jpg

I0oSivW.jpg

This one, with its sheath I sold to a local antique store:

MXWrHG7.jpg

2RtG9dL.jpg

l2wyITf.jpg

JqbdTEY.jpg

kwkRqBf.jpg

Thats some of em.

I was gifted this Russell Green River one by sunknife sunknife and have used it a couple of times . I use it as an outdoor knife and it has done everything that I have asked it to do . It came to me sharpened very well . It is a great knife to cut cabbage heads off of the root stalk . I do not know what wood was used to make the handle .
kNPGJXf.jpg

These are the older Russells :
15B0i0y.jpg

dbAF5q7.jpg

Harry

I was gifted this Russell Green River one by sunknife sunknife and have used it a couple of times . I use it as an outdoor knife and it has done everything that I have asked it to do . It came to me sharpened very well . It is a great knife to cut cabbage heads off of the root stalk . I do not know what wood was used to make the handle .
kNPGJXf.jpg

These are the older Russells :
15B0i0y.jpg

dbAF5q7.jpg

Harry
I love the character in the handles and bolsters of those vintage Barlows of yours, Harry. :thumbsup:
Glad you've found a use for the fixed blade Green River, the handle wood I used is osage, my friend. :)

This is the only one I've seen in stag but I keep looking. It was gifted to me by an older gentleman I did some pipe repair/restoration work for who has since passed away. It's both sentimental and well used.
1000016272.jpg

This one I found on EBay and it's pretty much pristine.
1000016274.jpg

I look at a lot of Barlows and I don't think these can be out-Barlowed.

Last edited:
I love the character in the handles and bolsters of those vintage Barlows of yours, Harry. :thumbsup:
Glad you've found a use for the fixed blade Green River, the handle wood I used is osage, my friend. :)
Thank you very much Greg . I suspected that it was Osage ( or Hedge Apple down home ) but I was not going to say that . It is a comfortable knife to use .
The top old Russell Barlow with the broken tip on the blade was found in 2014 and the guy wanted $9 . At that time I knew nothing about Russell Barlows . After researching them , I drove 60 miles back the next week end and got him down to #5 because of the broken blade . The Grand Daddy Barlow : I followed it for at least 2 years sitting in an antique shop and he was finally going out of business and I got it for half price . The one in the middle : I got it off of the flea bay and their photos did not show the Double Strike on the Pile Side Bolster . Did not get that good of a deal though . Until I saw the Double Strike .

Harry

Last edited:
Love me some Green River blades.

Edit: Why can I not delete this post. My images will not post and it's not worth it.

Last edited:
This was given to me over 20 years ago. It's been rode hard and (unfortunately) put away wet. Blade etch is long gone.

Still has a couple million miles left on it. Pretty wood with crazy chatoyance but I'm not sure what it is.

20230926_160906~2.jpg
Looks like their "Camp" model. (#4215) (not my knife. Picture from Track Of The Wolf)
View attachment 2336004
Very nice knife you have thar. Luv the patina. 😁👍
Curly Maple slabs?

Back