SOG Seal XR Flipper G.O.A.T.?

Very nice knife.
Did you read this review?

One concern I have is whether use of that pommel does not cause an accidental release of the XR (axis-type) lock.
Let's face it, folders in general aren't designed with a pounding pommel.
But I think so far review videos don't seem to mention any issue.

Very nice knife.
Did you read this review?

One concern I have is whether use of that pommel does not cause an accidental release of the XR (axis-type) lock.
Let's face it, folders in general aren't designed with a pounding pommel.
But I think so far review videos don't seem to mention any issue.
I just read that review! This knife is seriously a huge bang for the buck! SOG really did well with this one

With new models like the Pillar and Seal XR, I am seeing SOG making a comeback in terms of good interesting models.
I can only hope that the recent buyout by GSM doesn't result in trashing the product line.

With new models like the Pillar and Seal XR, I am seeing SOG making a comeback in terms of good interesting models.
I can only hope that the recent buyout by GSM doesn't result in trashing the product line.
That's the first thing I thought when I heard GSM bought them out. Just one SOG starts putting out good stuff again they get bought out.

6hp0sbiu0m881.jpg

Weak spot? (Not my knife)

6hp0sbiu0m881.jpg

Weak spot? (Not my knife)
does that affect the locking mechanism? Honestly It doesn't look half bad, I wouldn't be surprised if some people might mod there's to be flipper-less.
On the other hand yeah sucks that it broke like that, could be a week spot plus harder steel dropped at just the right angle. Good news is there's two more fully ambidextrous ways to open and close it.

This may very well be the best EDC knife purchase I've EVER made! It's tough as all hell, beefy, has jimping for days, holds and edge and just looks downright SEXY! CHANGE MY MIND!!View attachment 1708815View attachment 1708816View attachment 1708817View attachment 1708818View attachment 1708819View attachment 1708820View attachment 1708821View attachment 1708822
Love it. It's my current EDC, but I plan on rotating it with the Spyderco PM2 (ties for GOAT EDC with the Seal XR in my opinion)

I love this knife so much I plan on buying more and just keeping them in cold storage "just in case"

This may very well be the best EDC knife purchase I've EVER made! It's tough as all hell, beefy, has jimping for days, holds and edge and just looks downright SEXY! CHANGE MY MIND!!View attachment 1708815View attachment 1708816View attachment 1708817View attachment 1708818View attachment 1708819View attachment 1708820View attachment 1708821View attachment 1708822
Excuse me , but that looks pristine .

Wonder how it will hold up to some serous hard use ?

Lots of knives look good brand new , right out of the box .

SOG was once pretty respectable , but that was long ago .

easy to find out...just wander over to shinyedges shinyedges review in this forum....he put it through some paces. see pic on last page, not babied and used well and it still going strong for him........

easy to find out...just wander over to shinyedges shinyedges review in this forum....he put it through some paces. see pic on last page, not babied and used well and it still going strong for him........
The knife is a tank, Ive been hard using mine since 2019. Still has absolutely zero blade play. My benchmade adamas is NOT as solid as the seal xr, which is odd because benchmades claim to fame is the axis lock and sog made it better. Heat treat is on point too.

The knife is a tank, Ive been hard using mine since 2019. Still has absolutely zero blade play. My benchmade adamas is NOT as solid as the seal xr, which is odd because benchmades claim to fame is the axis lock and sog made it better. Heat treat is on point too.
Agreed. Must've been a cold-shut in the blade or some abuse (accidental or otherwise). I did a lot of research on this blade before buying it. There are people out there batoning it into trees with no problem. Whatever is going on here is definitely the exception, not the rule.

SOG is starting to come back. They've been putting out some excellent work lately. Might want to take another look at them! I agree they went through a bad time and put other e some junk, but I think that particular dark cloud has passed... Especially with the XR line

Back