Special project: hardened titanium alloy extreme sniper rifle targets

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
A little while back I was contacted by a gentleman with a interesting problem. He practices shooting an extremely powerful sniper rifle that uses specialized ammunition. That doesn't sound like much of a problem, right? Sounds pretty awesome!

The problem is target plates. The rifle obliterates nearly any target of reasonable weight and thickness, and he was getting fed up with lugging super heavy steel plates way downrange just to have them get quickly drilled and destroyed. He even tested various high-end steel alloys of varying hardness and thickness, with the best being a differentially-hardened plate with a hard face and tough back (not surprising to me). That one could just barely stop a round.

Enter titanium alloys. He tried to use thick titanium plates as targets but ran into a problem: adiabatic shear, or "plug shearing." When a titanium plate is hit with an instantaneous concentrated extreme spike force like a sniper bullet, it causes an instantaneous phase change in the crystal lattice, expansion of the zone around it at the atomic level, and a catastrophic shearing around the zone which presents as a "plug" of ti that is shorn right out of the back of the plate. For this reason, using titanium alloys in ballistic body armor can be a dubious proposition.

After some research, he came to the (correct) conclusion that if a plate of titanium has already been phase-changed and locked into a higher energy state, then it wouldn't plug-shear because there's no dramatic phase change that can occur. In essence, if it was hardened like I do with swords. Even better, the plates could in theory be differentially hardened, like the best steel plate he'd used before.

After a lot of talking back and forth about titanium theory, it was decided to attempt to harden three test plates of 0.625" ATI425 (Grade 38) titanium alloy, 6" x 6" in size, with one plate left in its stock condition to use as a control. This alloy "hardens" well using my methods. However, attempting to treat such thick plates was a unique problem, because titanium just doesn't work like that for various complicated reasons I don't feel like explaining right now. It will all be explained in my book, The Titanium Swordsmith's Grimoire, which is slowly being written.

Now, on to the experiment!

The three plates, as received. I don't envy the poor sucker who was finessed into cutting these with a plasma torch (wasn't me). 😆

okblzF2.jpg

wVKSA8Y.jpg

The plates were cleaned up a bit, to remove the thick oxide which should be removed before the plates are brought up toward their solution temperature.

vp8hm5y.jpg

Heat treating the plates was quite...taxing... but in theory the desired results were achieved: three different "hardness" levels, which more or less just means a very thick case hardening of varying depth penetration, but with similar hardness on the surface - and a minor increase in HRc between the three. Level 1, 2, and 3, with 1 having a thicker tough core and thinner hardened section, 3 being almost through-hardened, and 2 being somewhere in the middle.

From left to right, 1-3:

3tTj2Jf.jpg

y3KjagN.jpg

Whew! That wasn't very fun! With the plates prepared, they were sent back to the rifleman to give it a go. Will it work? Can these little titanium alloy plates stop a sniper round that obliterates any target of reasonable thickness? Let's find out!

Last edited:
Initial results, round 1:

The raw stock plate was shot with the super sniper rifle.

Impact crater:

rlEtwgG.jpg

Backside of plate:

W9iQK1D.jpg

Not bad! From the rifleman:

"Fairly deep hole; no penetration out the back side and a crack...wasn't bad though, easily as strong as the best heat-treated steels I've tested, maybe even a little stronger."

He adds, "I've tested some of the strongest stuff around. AR 500, s30v, 1060 high carbon, L6."

Now, how about the hardened plates?

Level 1 plate initial result:

Impact crater:

4VpKTz0.jpg

Backside of plate:

bEWh4Co.jpg

From the rifleman:

"Crater was much more shallow. Deformation on the back much more mild. So far this level 1 heat treated alloy is the strongest stuff I've ever seen."

He then says that his theory is looking to be correct. It certainly made sense to me, so I've been very interested in the results of the test shots.

"1. The case hardening had a similar effect to differential heat treatment, reducing penetration while keeping toughness. 2. There is no cracking, which as I surmised, only happens to titanium when it goes through adiabatic shear in the grain boundaries due to the transformation of the crystal form, leading to the expansion of those boundaries and an inevitable crack. Without this weakness, this titanium alloy is stronger than any steel, at least against ballistics."

Well...titanium can certainly be made to be brittle. In fact it's really easy to make it too brittle. 😁

Both of us are quite interested to see what happens to the hardest of the plates. I suspect it could shatter, but you know. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

More to come.

Wow super special sniper rifle is right!, AR500 plates stand up to 50BMG routinely.

Are you allowed to disclose the caliber, grain bullet, velocity and range?

Hmmm, I can't remember what it was. A Texas-something something, and I think 0.4 was in there somewhere, and some menacing-sounding adjective or noun.

CheyTac maybe? I am just curious, but totally understand if not able to disclose info. Looking forward to hearing further outcomes.

That might have been it. Not totally sure. I remember he was pretty far away from the targets in the past.

Last edited:
Initial results, round 1:

The raw stock plate was shot with the super sniper rifle.

Impact crater:

rlEtwgG.jpg

Backside of plate:

W9iQK1D.jpg

Not bad! From the rifleman:

"Fairly deep hole; no penetration out the back side and a crack...wasn't bad though, easily as strong as the best heat-treated steels I've tested, maybe even a little stronger."

He adds, "I've tested some of the strongest stuff around. AR 500, s30v, 1060 high carbon, L6."

Now, how about the hardened plates?

Level 1 plate initial result:

Impact crater:

4VpKTz0.jpg

Backside of plate:

bEWh4Co.jpg

From the rifleman:

"Crater was much more shallow. Deformation on the back much more mild. So far this level 1 heat treated alloy is the strongest stuff I've ever seen."

He then says that his theory is looking to be correct. It certainly made sense to me, so I've been very interested in the results of the test shots.

"1. The case hardening had a similar effect to differential heat treatment, reducing penetration while keeping toughness. 2. There is no cracking, which as I surmised, only happens to titanium when it goes through adiabatic shear in the grain boundaries due to the transformation of the crystal form, leading to the expansion of those boundaries and an inevitable crack. Without this weakness, this titanium alloy is stronger than any steel, at least against ballistics."

Well...titanium can certainly be made to be brittle. In fact it's really easy to make it too brittle. 😁

Both of us are quite interested to see what happens to the hardest of the plates. I suspect it could shatter, but you know. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

More to come.
Very impressive ! Makes me wonder what your plates sound like , compared to AR500 ?

Ping , bong or just thud ? 🎼🙉

Back