Special project: hardened titanium alloy extreme sniper rifle targets

One of they keys to unlocking the world of titanium is to accept that it doesn't really directly compare to steel, any more than copper-based alloys do. The orbiting worlds of alloys surrounding base metals are as different from each as alien star systems. Iron, copper, titanium, nickel, etc.

The main thing for me is that titanium alloys can make an excellent sword! šŸ˜†
and machete.......

Never heard this before do you have any data to back this up? I am genuinely interested. Maybe at some long distance or something .50 bmg was created to be able to routinely penetrate 1 inch Hardened steel at under 100 yards. Also anti material rounds can penetrate even more 1.5 -1.75 inches of hardened steel at 100 yards. Ultimately it doesn't really matter because the force your body would recieve from taking the round/ force from the bullet impacting plate would probably kill you liquefy your organs/break apart arteries and blood vessels.
A few weeks ago AR500 plate 700 yard hit, no penetration did knock the AR500 plate off the stand. Hornady 750gr Amax 2700is fps.

A few weeks ago AR500 plate 700 yard hit, no penetration did knock the AR500 plate off the stand. Hornady 750gr Amax 2700is fps.
I think whether this is possible or not entirely depends upon the thickness of the AR500 plate being struck, the distance and the type of round and it's speed. Most AR500 plates sold in retail stores at least around me are not thicker than .375 inches. This can not stop a typical 50 cal round from 200 yards or less, at 700 yards these bullets slow down a good bit so it's possible, hard to say.

But it's useless debating these things unless you know the thickness of the plate, the distance and the speed. Some people are posting videos of inch thick AR500 plates, I have no idea where they are getting them, but apparently someone out there makes it, and yea, that'd probably stop a 50 cal at much closer range, but it does no one any favors to say this steel or that steel, or this piece of titanium or that piece of titanium can stop a 50 cal unless you know the thickness and the distance.

There's also bullets that go much faster than 50 cals, for instance the rifle used for testing in this thread fires rounds that go between 3150 to 3200 fps and keep a higher percentage of that velocity at longer distances because of the shape of the bullet.

I think whether this is possible or not entirely depends upon the thickness of the AR500 plate being struck, the distance and the type of round and it's speed. Most AR500 plates sold in retail stores at least around me are not thicker than .375 inches. This can not stop a typical 50 cal round from 200 yards or less, at 700 yards these bullets slow down a good bit so it's possible, hard to say.

But it's useless debating these things unless you know the thickness of the plate, the distance and the speed. Some people are posting videos of inch thick AR500 plates, I have no idea where they are getting them, but apparently someone out there makes it, and yea, that'd probably stop a 50 cal at much closer range, but it does no one any favors to say this steel or that steel, or this piece of titanium or that piece of titanium can stop a 50 cal unless you know the thickness and the distance.

There's also bullets that go much faster than 50 cals, for instance the rifle used for testing in this thread fires rounds that go between 3150 to 3200 fps and keep a higher percentage of that velocity at longer distances because of the shape of the bullet.

Thickness of the target plate, please!

Back