The Buckmaster 084. 420HC. G10 Scales. $800?!

i have no proof of this and it's only gut feel.....I feel like Buck has gone from a what do we need to charge, to a what can we charge model.....

it's a free market and i support that. plus if enough people want to pay the price than that's what the product is worth......so far it seems enough people are willing to pay it, so that's it's market value, right now.

I wonder though at what point does it hit the too much level. 950, 1k, 1.5k? im curious what the breaking point is on this product.......
I agree.
I think it's also a result of flippers charging more for an already expensive knife....and then someone actually buys it.
I'm sure Buck has noticed this trend as well. And wants a piece of that.

I agree.
I think it's also a result of flippers charging more for an already expensive knife....and then someone actually buys it.
I'm sure Buck has noticed this trend as well. And wants a piece of that.
That's fine. Buck's call. Take the three "limited" and really normal looking BUCK production knives for sale right now, the 112 Pro, the 500 Duke, and the 838 Deploy... add the 084 Buckmaster, that's a nice collection of BUCK LE stuff that might be rare someday... even today that's nearly $1850 before tax. Some people will never see BUCK values like that as reasonable. Some might. It'll all get figured in the market.

Last edited:
I hear ya. I like 420/420HC but in the write up it used words like affordable or inexpensive steel for knives. I also like S30V as it’s a very balanced steel. You see that in the steel graphs associated with steel types. I try to avoid steel that the graph is a triangle or a diamond and stick with graphs that are square. Good edge retention, good hardness, easy to sharpen, wot good corrosion resistance. The 4 that make up the geometric graph.
Blade HQ has all the graphs and info on their website.
I also like VG-10 and a few others that are on that average square graph category.

That’s the knife steel guide. Since i can’t post pictures. Let me know if that works.
I find it a good read and i love the graphs.
It’s a lot of information so take your time and hope you enjoy.

Last edited:
How come nobody has mentioned ergonomics? The earlier version had the anchors biting into back of thumb and into knuckles when deployed...this version is friendly for the knife being utilized if necessary when anchors actively being used.

Not to mention faster to use if necessary....fewer parts and easier to attach...
Sound good. Anchors aweigh! I usually complain about a heavy knife being a boat anchor and that thing actually is an anchor. Gamechanging! I can't wait to hear some stories about how it is being used if the Navy buys any.

Why is it that one of the most exclusive knife makers in the US offers your choice of either carbon steel or stainless steel, has a "many months" waiting list for standard patterns and sells everything in a sheath for $400-$800 or more?

It's not about the steel....

<1% of knife users can genuinely say they buy a knife solely based on the steel. And that <1% couldn't tell the difference between 420HC and Magnacut.

The people buying this knife are buying it for its exclusivity, not for the materials. Even if Paul Bos tempered the blade 19 times himself on his back yard grill.

Oh... and 92.783018% of statistics spewed upon internet forums are made up...

The Buck Talon series (5160, contoured micarta, good sheaths) was excellent at 1/4 the price. This one looks like something designed by a 12 year-old that was inspired by a second rate video game.

Maybe 50 years from now this would be collectible as the first knife designed by Hoyt’s great-great-great-great grandkid. :rolleyes:

N2s

Last edited:
The Buck Talon series (5160, contoured micarta, good sheaths) was excellent at 1/4 the price. This one looks like something designed by a 12 year-old that was inspired by a second rate video game.

Maybe 50 years from now this would be collectible as the first knife designed by Hoyt’s great-great-great-great grandkid. :rolleyes:

N2s
It is exactly a 1940's dive knife shape. The R&D had to go into the wing and the sheath. Personally I was impressed by the sheath materials. The wing is something the jury is out on for usefulness. My jury says it is 100% gimmick that will not be useful and that's where $600 went.

This has been a fun thread to read. For what it’s worth i did not purchase this knife. However i did just receive, and in record time, two beautiful Buck 931 Chefs knives that are guaranteed to get lots of use in our kitchen. Well done Buck!
I would post a picture of me slicing up my mushrooms but alas i’ve exceeded my limit.
If anyone has this knife could you post a picture for me. Thanks 😂😂

It is exactly a 1940's dive knife shape. The R&D had to go into the wing and the sheath. Personally I was impressed by the sheath materials. The wing is something the jury is out on for usefulness. My jury says it is 100% gimmick that will not be useful and that's where $600 went.
Useful or not, that wing is rad. I'm not even kidding, I think it's a really neat way to do that.

I was listening to a Meat Eater podcast one day on my way back from Wyoming and Steve Rinella started relaying a story about one of his friends. She liked to spear fish and got caught in a really gnarly current that would have washed her out well past the Island around which she was hunting. While he was telling the story one thought popped up: "That lady and her partner could have used a Buckmaster that day to hold them in the current".

Useful or not, that wing is rad. I'm not even kidding, I think it's a really neat way to do that.

I was listening to a Meat Eater podcast one day on my way back from Wyoming and Steve Rinella started relaying a story about one of his friends. She liked to spear fish and got caught in a really gnarly current that would have washed her out well past the Island around which she was hunting. While he was telling the story one thought popped up: "That lady and her partner could have used a Buckmaster that day to hold them in the current".
I mean... maybe... if they had the foresight to have a line with them and then they could connect the line to the knife and then they could connect the wing to the knife and then they could actually connect the knife to a rock or reef as they were moving along and where they would fly like a underwater kite indefinitely? I think if they had that foresight, they could have brought a mall ninja grapple hook or small $20 anchor or tethered off to a boat or shore as well, but I am hating on this release to combat the marketing hype people have been bombarding me with mostly on Facebook :)

I mean... maybe... if they had the foresight to have a line with them and then they could connect the line to the knife and then they could connect the wing to the knife and then they could actually connect the knife to a rock or reef as they were moving along and where they would fly like a underwater kite indefinitely? I think if they had that foresight, they could have brought a mall ninja grapple hook or small $20 anchor or tethered off to a boat or shore as well, but I am hating on this release to combat the marketing hype people have been bombarding me with mostly on Facebook :)
Go tell them on facebook.

We're not interested in it.
😉

It's my mouse.
He can do without the drama of it all.

It's my mouse.
He can do without the drama of it all.
Sorry mouse, it wasn't my thread. It didn't exactly start out as a glowing review. I have bought my share of $400-$500 fixed blades that didn't even come with sheaths... had to add $60-$110 Kydex on most of them... still never spent $870 with tax on any one knife even if it was a custom slipjoint or handmade [insert knife type here]. Now am I saying my $500 knives could chop this thing in two because the are basically made of Adamantium? Yeah ;)

Last edited:
The whole grappling anchor concept is so bizarre to me. I was a little kid when the original came out and I thought it was crazy then.

The original design was visually appealing, the new one is not.

I think the prices are high now because manufacturers are sick of flippers making more profit than they are. Some of us have shown we are willing to pay outrageous prices. So the manufacturers are charging outrageous prices. I kind of don’t mind because Id rather see Buck make the money than a flipper and Ebay doesn’t need any either.

Back