THE Hollow Handle Knife Thread

For some reason these knives keeping finding their way to my house. Been working with a local wood worker to come up with a one and done display buy not getting much traction with the project.

The Knapp is the most recent knife to find it's way here. Found that I could repack the magazine and get some quick tinder and a small button compass into it also.

The Wall Sunfish has been my hiking companion over the summer but can't wait to get some miles on the Knapp.

IMG_0683.jpgIMG_0882 (2).jpgIMG_0880.jpg

Be Safe.

The latest evolution of the S.A.F.E. System I. This S.A.F.E. knife has a PSK knife behind the pouch on the front of the sheath. I will get a picture of that up soon.

816ufjG.jpeg

Samβš”οΈβš”οΈ

Hackman Survival Knife of Finland. Built in the 70's and designed by Ken Warner and Pete Dickey. Expensive these days, but an amazing knife with considerable effort going into the design. Google search can tell you more of the history of this knife and the clone made by Garcia.
Lead 1.JPGHollow handle with pommel.JPGSpear point amazing strength.JPG

Hackman Survival Knife of Finland. Built in the 70's and designed by Ken Warner and Pete Dickey. Expensive these days, but an amazing knife with considerable effort going into the design. Google search can tell you more of the history of this knife and the clone made by Garcia.
View attachment 2441605View attachment 2441607View attachment 2441611
The Garcia is a 'not-quite-clone' I'm afraid. The sheath and "survival box" are identical but the blade is only very similar. The sawback won't cut much, and is better used as a fish scaler.

VebONcU.jpg

nSC8EI1.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the most recent addition to my hollow-handle survival knife collection.

Jh50Ux2.jpg

1t037j1.jpg

YwGQ69q.jpg

It's a well-made Al Mar commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Green Berets. The cord on the handle, I'm pretty sure, was originally red. The retaining strap is a bit different, because it comes down from the top.

Much more saw-like than the one on the Garcia (note the pics -- Garcia above, Hackman below in both), but it still falls a bit short.
Looks like the Hackman saw would work well for notching. Regardless, it a great looking knife and that Al Mar ain’t bad either. πŸ‘

OK, just a quick update. The mid-tech version of the S.A.F.E. knife is nearly ready. Still a few final details to work out, but the components are done and everything will back in the shop inside of the next 30 days or so.

Then we'll set up a pre-order on the website for those that want to get ahead of the game and also get some special offers. Here's a rough pic from the bench. Very pleased!πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

wm3LeHf.jpeg

Samβš”οΈβš”οΈ

Sam Wilson Sam Wilson you do really good work. We have encountered one another on other Boards, and I just wanted to be sure you know what I think.

Who knows, maybe one day soon I will order one of your knives to add to my collection. πŸ™‚πŸ™ƒπŸ˜ŒπŸ˜‰

Choctaw Dan Choctaw Dan It sounds like we may have bumped heads, lol. As a designer/maker of hollow handle knives, just about everyone in the knife world has had a go at me at one time or another, so I often take no prisoners. Please don't take it the wrong way if I was a bit much.😎😎

Thank you for the compliments.

Samβš”οΈβš”οΈ

Sam Wilson Sam Wilson you do really good work. We have encountered one another on other Boards, and I just wanted to be sure you know what I think.

Who knows, maybe one day soon I will order one of your knives to add to my collection. πŸ™‚πŸ™ƒπŸ˜ŒπŸ˜‰

OK, just a quick update. The mid-tech version of the S.A.F.E. knife is nearly ready. Still a few final details to work out, but the components are done and everything will back in the shop inside of the next 30 days or so.

Then we'll set up a pre-order on the website for those that want to get ahead of the game and also get some special offers. Here's a rough pic from the bench. Very pleased!πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

wm3LeHf.jpeg

Samβš”οΈβš”οΈ

Sam, that is beautiful work...artwork, really. Perfect lines and proportion.

Thank you, Tom. A long road to get here, huh?πŸ˜ƒ

Tom ( TAH TAH ) was around for the genesis of the S.A.F.E. Knife just under a decade ago, and even helped me refine the design. It is a great workhorse, and a good example of a truly useable and functional hollow handle survival knife.

Samβš”οΈβš”οΈ

For the record, everyone, I made a few suggestions. Sam is the genius behind everything he does and a hell of a nice gentleman to go with it.

Keep it up, Sam. I’m still following all of your posts and videos. Always enjoy seeing what comes out of your shop. πŸ‘

Back