The Sunday Picture Show (April 28, 2024)

DeSotoSky

Gold Member
view

Hello and welcome to the Sunday Picture Show. Share your Buck knives with others by posting pictures of them here. New or old, plain or custom, user or safe queen, one or a collection, we love to see them all. This weekly tradition was started in 2010 by ItsTooEarly (Armand Hernandez) and Oregon (Steve Dunn). Help keep the tradition alive. Feel free to click that 'LIKE' but lets not let it replace discussing and complimenting each others knives. DeSotoSky (Roger Yost)

ZMnMHRv.jpg

On this Day, April 28,1973. The Roseville Yard Disaster (California)
The train of over 100 cars contained 21 cars of 500lb bombs. There were about 7,000 bombs total, being shipped from a Nevada munitions depot and ultimately headed for Vietnam via San Francisco. Arriving in the yard about 6:30 a.m. after descending from the Sierra Nevada Donner Summit. Bombs started exploding about 8:00 am and continued for about 32 hours with the boxcars exploding in succession. Window were broken up to 4 miles away and the explosions could be heard for 40 miles. About 300 injuries, 48 serious, but no deaths. Investigation considered the possibility that the fire was caused by overheated brakes from the long descent as the cars had wooden floors.
11 minute YouTube documentary.

The "Tiburon" Water Sports knife, model 185. Short lived, only in the catalog from 1999 to 2004.
8.5" overall length with 17-7ph Stainless Steel. (that is a new one on me)
It was a collaboration with Kayaker Ed Gillette. Mine is First Production Run 1 of 500.
view

Last edited:
Thanks for posting about the disaster. I had never heard of it. Amazing how a war in a foreign land far away can have consequences and claim casualties at home.

Here is my ugly duckling Stag 110

view

When I first posted it Makael Makael said it looked like a mushroom cloud . Lol.

view

Last edited:
DeSotoSky DeSotoSky very much enjoyed the history video today. I was in an ARNG unit that loaded/unloaded bombs and other munitions on rail and trucks at Umatilla OR, Hawthorne NV, McAllister OK, and Toole UT. The process is very thorough even though no munition is shipped with a detonator, just because of the situation shown in the video. I don't think wooden floors have been used in railcars in decades either.

Today's picture (old shot from an Appalachian Trail hike in 2016) celebrates the return of several lost items that where in a backpack "lost" five years ago! I traded cars this week, when cleaning out my 2019 Ford Edge before turning it over to the dealer, I decided to pull the spare out and check that compartment well - my missing backpack was nestled in there - found my orange Buck 112, my lensatic compass, first aid kit, 550 cord, a SOG multitool and other items. I am glad to have my possessions back! OH
Buck_112_with_US_Army_Lensatic_Compass.jpg

DeSotoSky DeSotoSky very much enjoyed the history video today. I was in an ARNG unit that loaded/unloaded bombs and other munitions on rail and trucks at Umatilla OR, Hawthorne NV, McAllister OK, and Toole UT. The process is very thorough even though no munition is shipped with a detonator, just because of the situation shown in the video. I don't think wooden floors have been used in railcars in decades either.

Today's picture (old shot from an Appalachian Trail hike in 2016) celebrates the return of several lost items that where in a backpack "lost" five years ago! I traded cars this week, when cleaning out my 2019 Ford Edge before turning it over to the dealer, I decided to pull the spare out and check that compartment well - my missing backpack was nestled in there - found my orange Buck 112, my lensatic compass, first aid kit, 550 cord, a SOG multitool and other items. I am glad to have my possessions back! OH
Buck_112_with_US_Army_Lensatic_Compass.jpg
A compass! Wow, OH! Talk about an ancient artifact! Just kidding. I still carry my 60 year old Silva Ranger whenever I go into the woods. And there are backup compasses in various packs & hunting vests.
And here's the Buck I've been carrying for the last couple days:

thanks Roger and all for the show today.....

nothing special just what I drug out for some outdoor work today. those weeds in the pic are being removed. this is their last moment alive in the earth......
20240428-122356.jpg

see if I can get this show to page 2......

20240428-172850.jpg

guess not. post couple pics fellas.....I took pics of all the Bucks i got on me today.....
Here are the two I have on me today. My edc work knife, 2023 Hunter Sport Pro (top) and my edc at-home knife 110 Auto Elite (bottom).
20240428_171733.jpg
These two have seen the most use of any of my Buck knives.
Hope you all have had a happy day!

Back