The Sunday Picture Show (April 28, 2024)

IMG_5288.jpeg

IMG_5119.jpeg

IMG_4798.jpeg

Another Buck knife for boaters. The model 180 CrossLock called the River Rafter. I guess the sheeps foot blade is to help keep you from poking a hole in the raft šŸ¤£ . A fully serrated blade, how many other Buck knives had fully serrated blades? I think not many. There are plenty of half serrated blades.
180-river-rafter-dec11-001-jpg.941140

One more for today, a recently discovered treasure............................
img_9845-jpg.2560977

Seeing that Anvil sitting on a glass table gives me the heebie jeebies....
"0 3 14" Is that a date? March 14, 1900?
I looked Peter Wright up, interesting.

addendum... not a date, "Hundredweight" units..... (3X28)+14=98lbs ..... back to my first comment.. :oops::oops::oops:
I love Google.

Last edited:
What a great show today!
Since Old Hunter Old Hunter brought up gifts, and I love giving them when I can...
These two I gave to my daughter and son-in-law I rescaled in some walnut from the arch they used in their wedding. I'll let you guess who got what.

szpUyy5.jpg

This one I gave my son to replace a buffalo horn knife I made him years ago that was stolen.

Fjhbohw.jpg

And this one I gave myself because I had some extra elk horn from another project and I always thought it would be neat to have a stag EDC.

nxOGoEw.jpg

Seeing that Anvil sitting on a glass table gives me the heebie jeebies....
"0 3 14" Is that a date? March 14, 1900?

So........ 0 3 14 gives the anvil weight in English hundredweight or CWT.

first number x 112 lbs
second x 28 lbs
third x 1 lb

98 lbs is this particular anvil's weight. Ah those silly limeys.

After some research she was made in England sometime between 1850-1870.

Neat old anvil. To my untrained eye it looks like it was in a fire.

Perhaps, although I think simply exposed to the elements for a long while. She sings beautifully when struck, indicating no loss of temper.

Thank You eveled eveled This anvil was most definitely abused, but somehow survived. Your anvil looks like the previous owner(s) took a bit more care.

Outstanding work on your stand. The railroad spikes are a real nice touch. I was toying with using a stump of osage orange/hedge as a stand.

DeSotoSky DeSotoSky we've had that glass table for years and it is surprisingly strong/durable.

IMG_9848.jpg

Those tables have a reputation of suddenly turning into a pile of tiny squares of glass. Iā€™m thinking DeSotoSky DeSotoSky has first hand knowledge.

Thanks for the compliment on the stand, the railroad spikes are cut off and have grade 8 bolts welded to them. So I could put washers and nuts from underneath.

Nice thing about a rough anvil is you donā€™t have to worry about hurting it. Find a stump for a stand and enjoy it.

I wonder if it could be re surfaced? Some anvils are cast in one piece some have a top welded on. I think my Fisher is made like that. They are called city anvils because they are quieter.

view

Last edited:
So........ 0 3 14 gives the anvil weight in English hundredweight or CWT.

first number x 112 lbs
second x 28 lbs
third x 1 lb

98 lbs is this particular anvil's weight. Ah those silly limeys.

After some research she was made in England sometime between 1850-1870.

Perhaps, although I think simply exposed to the elements for a long while. She sings beautifully when struck, indicating no loss of temper.
You are fortunate to find a treasure like that. Cleaned up beautifully!

Back