Things you'd like to see out of Redmeadow Knives?

Those look incredible Embry, so much detail, very nice work.

Sheldon, Youtube must have censored ny other video. It was 4 and a half hours of the Spearmore build, a claymore sword attached to the end of a spear with "front towards enemy" on the blade.:eek:

If you guys want more videos like that just say the word. Sometimes it's easier just to shoot a video than type something up that gets the context right.
We'd prefer it if you stopped talking and started making knives. We ain't payin' ya to run yer yap, we're payin' ya to run yer grinders.
Get to work!

Those look incredible Embry, so much detail, very nice work.

Sheldon, Youtube must have censored ny other video. It was 4 and a half hours of the Spearmore build, a claymore sword attached to the end of a spear with "front towards enemy" on the blade.:eek:

If you guys want more videos like that just say the word. Sometimes it's easier just to shoot a video than type something up that gets the context right.

Thanks, John.

Is the Claymore spear the bushcraft knife Scott mentioned?

The video was good. Not sure if it's easier for you, but if you had typed all of that out it would have been really long, and we would have missed out on the show-and-tell aspect, and on the personal side of it. A good addition.

There was a recent thread in GKD about Custom vs. Production knives. While it mostly pertained to folders, the take away was that Production Knives are better because of Customer service, they're cheaper, you don't have to wait and convenience. Custom Makers only ghost you, are way overpriced, at best can equal what production machinery does, they are a RIP off, liars, etc. I think cost drove most of the negative responses and I can understand that. The thread was misguided in my opinion and didn't represent Makers as a whole. Anyways, I've always refused to be in the "I got ghosted by this guy" category and try my best to communicate. With new blood in the sub, I wanted everyone to know what's going on and who they're dealing with.

Now, I've got epoxy to stir!

There was a recent thread in GKD about Custom vs. Production knives. While it mostly pertained to folders, the take away was that Production Knives are better because of Customer service, they're cheaper, you don't have to wait and convenience. Custom Makers only ghost you, are way overpriced, at best can equal what production machinery does, they are a RIP off, liars, etc. I think cost drove most of the negative responses and I can understand that. The thread was misguided in my opinion and didn't represent Makers as a whole. Anyways, I've always refused to be in the "I got ghosted by this guy" category and try my best to communicate. With new blood in the sub, I wanted everyone to know what's going on and who they're dealing with.

Don't think I'll ever go down the custom folder road...just not into folders enough. For fixed blades though, held out as long as I could, but the dam burst last year and now I'm totally screwed:D

Last edited:

Guys like this rub me the wrong way with this kind of thinking. I'm not to derail your thread but I feel I need to set my mind at rest on this. My thought on this is, let's see someone make a knife and sheath like this on a machine.

Version 3.jpeg

Guys like this rub me the wrong way with this kind of thinking. I'm not to derail your thread but I feel I need to set my mind at rest on this. My thought on this is, let's see someone make a knife and sheath like this on a machine.

View attachment 1292847

You like knifes? Wanna buy my knifes?

View attachment 1292847

Absolutely gorgeous work, Scott!
Ain't no machine can match the knive up in here!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Look forward to seeing the big Boo-eee finished John! Great stuff!!:thumbsup:

You like knifes? Wanna buy my knifes?
This happened to me last week on Facebook, and while I was talking to the guy he down load a 3 Bowie knife photos of mine and turned it into a for sale ad on his facebook page.

Holy crap Belloc Belloc , missed that the first time around. Nice!:thumbsup: You and @Dopic1 should get along great:D
Sorry, I'm just seeing this (my notifications are apparently screwy too, because I'm getting 20 a day for other stuff, but not a thing from the Redmeadow threads.). Thanks, Jlauffer! Yes, Scott introduced himself over on the Pocket Blades thread when I first discovered it. This is definitely a friendly crowd :thumbsup:

I have it on good authority... This sub needs more basket-weaving threads... :D

In all seriousness, though, I really enjoyed your video, John. It's always good to put a face/personality to a maker and your enthusiasm is infectious (maybe infectious isn't a great word for these times...).

In regards to some other ideas:

It likely comes as little surprise to some of those here who know me a bit that my tastes tend to lean towards the traditional - what are your thoughts regarding some of the old trade style knives from the 18th-early 19th centuries?

A couple of examples below, including a group of reproductions. A few of these styles are some that I can remember seeing in a bunch of the old Westerns I grew up watching - my mother is Native so we watched a lot of "cowboys and Indians" films (not sure what her logic was other than to showcase the obvious). I'm not thinking that you do reproductions, I like that you make things your own, I just think some stuff inspired by the below would be pretty cool.

"Beaver Tail" Hudson Bay Trade knife

2p24pjN.jpg

"Buffalo" or "Camp Knife" also Hudson Bay

LkCe7h0.jpg

"Scalper" or simply "Trade Knife" possibly Hudson Bay

04cSUdy.jpg

Group of 18th Century English Trade Knives (reproductions done by Old Dominion Forge)

JrmH6wO.jpg

That video is cringy but it gives you an idea of what kind of nut you're dealing with.

I was looking into trade knives not long ago and this one stood out to me. The top knife has great lines, wish I knew more about it.

20200323_163023.jpg

That video is cringy but it gives you an idea of what kind of nut you're dealing with.

I was looking into trade knives not long ago and this one stood out to me. The top knife has great lines, wish I knew more about it.

View attachment 1308053

This one has me a bit stumped... If the bottom knife can be used as any sort of context, I would venture to say 19th century and if they aren't originals, then they are certainly inspired by that era.

Interestingly (at least I think so), daggers were not nearly as common in the 18th century as they were in the centuries leading up to it (being both a military item and a status symbol). Plug bayonets were seen in the early years but soon gave way to the socket style. Belt knives of various sorts were worn in place of daggers and swords unless you had the wealth to go with the status symbol.

I'm unaware of many daggers being used as trade knives but that is likely just a gap in my knowledge. The few American daggers I have seen from the period are rather large - another reason why I think the above examples come from the 19th century. They look like something I would see at a poker game... (which is a good thing)

iRyH4XV.png

UdjhSbm.png

Great info Dylan, keep it coming. That "scalper" (bright green background) is really interesting. It would be interesting to know how the handle studs were traditionally done, unless they were through pins but I doubt it.

Back