This must be where the DEKs hang out, eh?

Thanks for taking time out to respond........

I don't know why edges Up isn't a useful grip in a utility situation, I generally Do grip my knife that way, but thats why I asked. I was curious?

I prefer Seeing my sharp edge, when I cut things, so I know where it is.
I guess I pull up, more than push down.
Your comment about this not being prac tac made me think you were referring exclusively to defensive use, so I think i misinterpreted you…sorry for the snarky response to a sincere question.

Spine forward seems most natural to me when drawing and especially resheathing (with kydex I “catch the tip” in the mouth of the sheath and then push the knife all the way in using the spine for a guide). Most of my folders naturally open edge down in hammer grip too and I am usually drawing my knife to cut forward/down/away from me (cut a branch off a tree, open something in front of me on the ground or in my hand) so muscle memory seems strongest that way too.

I guess if you were constantly cutting strapping it could make sense to carry so you draw edge up and don’t have to flip it. The DEK handle is really comfortable and secure edge up or down, it would work in either position.

Your comment about this not being prac tac made me think you were referring exclusively to defensive use, so I think i misinterpreted you…sorry for the snarky response to a sincere question.

Spine forward seems most natural to me when drawing and especially resheathing (with kydex I “catch the tip” in the mouth of the sheath and then push the knife all the way in using the spine for a guide). Most of my folders naturally open edge down in hammer grip too and I am usually drawing my knife to cut forward/down/away from me (cut a branch off a tree, open something in front of me on the ground or in my hand) so muscle memory seems strongest that way too.

I guess if you were constantly cutting strapping it could make sense to carry so you draw edge up and don’t have to flip it. The DEK handle is really comfortable and secure edge up or down, it would work in either position.

You are ok to call me Out.... I do mean a knife is for Everything. It's a tool. To be used for everything it's needed for. I included that to mean self defense. I'm ok with being laughed at.... Haha, I get that, it's ok..... :)

I think conversations like this is good for people to think about what they do, and what Others do. I find it interesting. The things you said, I almost do the opposite :) ... I cut boxes edge up(away from me). I cut plants or fruit, peppers, cabbage, etc. Edge up. Gutting, edge up.

It's interesting how different people do different things.

Curious why you guys are carrying edge away, and not edge forward?
Aren't the sheath s capable either way?

I don't have one, tried for a 3 later on, but was too slow. Missed out. I hope the dek 3 makes a comeback, or something similar. Thin.

I'm obviously ignorant, but in My mind, it looks like I'd want to grab it reverse grip, edge Forward. Or upside down, saber grip, edge Up.

The few guys who recently posted all seemed the opposite.
Granted I know this isn't prac tac..... I apologize if wrong area.

Not a DEK but I once carried my UF2 edge-forward IWB and sliced a 1cm cut into my waistband when pulling forwards/out to deploy the knife 🙃

Last edited:
Curious why you guys are carrying edge away, and not edge forward?
Aren't the sheath s capable either way?

I don't have one, tried for a 3 later on, but was too slow. Missed out. I hope the dek 3 makes a comeback, or something similar. Thin.

I'm obviously ignorant, but in My mind, it looks like I'd want to grab it reverse grip, edge Forward. Or upside down, saber grip, edge Up.

The few guys who recently posted all seemed the opposite.
Granted I know this isn't prac tac..... I apologize if wrong area.
Spine forward makes the most sense to me. Very few applications with a knife ever require me to an icepick grip/ blade forward. Defensively, thinking back to some of the various FMA videos I've watched, it seems those Tuhons use the standard hammer grip mostly too. To each their own though, whatever works for you 🤙

I finally have a DEK3 incoming to try alongside the 1/2 . If I love it, probably won’t be long before I hunt for a leather sheath .

Heck yeah, awesome! I was wondering if you were the one that got in on that one, it looked like it. Congrats! Thing is crazy light in the hand.

I think the secret to actually being able to obtain a DEK 3 is to accept that you’ll never be able to obtain one 🤣. Sounds like we both had that feeling lol.

My plan was once I had keepers, I sharpened them, started using them, and got nice leather sheaths and new shoes for them . That way they become permanent and very difficult to move .

These are my only 2 CPKs right now . Excited to add a (DEK)3 back to the collection
IMG_1377.jpeg

Back