Traditional Knives & Slingshots

Oh I was mistaken. That is one of the churches in Nesebar... :) Very old one like most of them there.
Bulgarian is quite difficult. Cyrillic alphabet not so much.
You probably came across a bad bunch of people :). It happens. I moved to England almost 24 years ago. In general English people are very nice.
Anyway I will stop flooding the thread. Great talking to you Jack and I hope you have a great time in Crete!!! :)
Yes, I enjoyed visiting the old town :) I'm glad you're happy here my friend :) Yes, virtually everyone on my plane was at the same hotel! :eek: There were some nice people too, to be fair, but when I travel, I like to embrace the local language and culture as much as possible, I can get drunk with Yorkshiremen any time! 🤣 Thank you very much Vladimir :) :thumbsup:

This reminds me of something in Dan Beard's American Boy's Handy Book. It was a small tube for a shot-pouch, attached to a whippy stick, slung from the left hip with a right sidearm motion.
That sounds interesting Jer :cool: :thumbsup:

Anyone tried out one of these?

windows 10 key tester

Yes, I enjoyed visiting the old town :) I'm glad you're happy here my friend :) Yes, virtually everyone on my plane was at the same hotel! :eek: There were some nice people too, to be fair, but when I travel, I like to embrace the local language and culture as much as possible, I can get drunk with Yorkshiremen any time! 🤣 Thank you very much Vladimir :) :thumbsup:

That sounds interesting Jer :cool: :thumbsup:

windows 10 key tester

I didn't realise you were English, Jack. Yes I love England, it is my second home basically. I lived in London for 16 years but I had enough of it as much as I love it and moved to the countryside. :) Now I am in West Sussex.
I know what you mean about local culture and I agree but sometimes that's too difficult when you are with another 20 countrymen 🤣 🤣
Btw the video you posted is very intriguing Jack. Great idea!!

This reminds me of something in Dan Beard's American Boy's Handy Book. It was a small tube for a shot-pouch, attached to a whippy stick, slung from the left hip with a right sidearm motion.
Hi. I didn't know about this book so I had to download it:) . I love it!!! Such a wonderful book with great illustrations.
Shooting this type of slingshot has some similarities to the example you gave but in general it is quite different. I did a short video just to demonstrate how it works. You basically you use it like normal slingshot.

I didn't realise you were English, Jack. Yes I love England, it is my second home basically. I lived in London for 16 years but I had enough of it as much as I love it and moved to the countryside. :) Now I am in West Sussex.
I know what you mean about local culture and I agree but sometimes that's too difficult when you are with another 20 countrymen 🤣 🤣
Btw the video you posted is very intriguing Jack. Great idea!!
Almost Vladimir, I'm from Yorkshire :D ;) I've lived in London too, but I prefer life elsewhere :D I was just talking to a friend, on the phone, who lives near the Imperial War Museum, and it doesn't sound like things are getting better :rolleyes: I'm glad you're enjoying life in the countryside :) :thumbsup:

I bought the Pocket Shot a few years back, and I think I used it for about 5 minutes! :D I usually have it in the bottom of my catapult bag, and mean to give it another try, but never get round to it :rolleyes: It seemed easy to hit a tree with it! :D ;) :thumbsup:

Almost Vladimir, I'm from Yorkshire :D ;) I've lived in London too, but I prefer life elsewhere :D I was just talking to a friend, on the phone, who lives near the Imperial War Museum, and it doesn't sound like things are getting better :rolleyes: I'm glad you're enjoying life in the countryside :) :thumbsup:

I bought the Pocket Shot a few years back, and I think I used it for about 5 minutes! :D I usually have it in the bottom of my catapult bag, and mean to give it another try, but never get round to it :rolleyes: It seemed easy to hit a tree with it! :D ;) :thumbsup:
So you are almost bilingual, Jack😃
I will have to buy the Pocket shot. It is a multitool.

That is impressive! :cool: Thank you for making the video :) It did kind of remind me of when I managed to fire a 14mm steel ball into the back of my knuckle though! :eek: ;) :thumbsup:
You are welcome!
Haha. I know the feeling.

Here a slingshot and a pruner from the part of the world where I am originally from, which is Bulgaria. I thought it may be interesting for you guys.

I did a lot of research just to find where else this type of slingshot is used and the only place I managed to find is south of Romania.

So basically the way to use this slingshot is the same as when you are using one band slingshot with a wooden handle but instead of the handle you use you index finger. :)

One of the advantages of this type of slingshot is that it is really light and mobile – you can just roll it and put it in your pocket. It basically takes almost no space.

The disadvantage is that it needs a lot of practice to be mastered it and be really precise with it. It can also be dangerous if you handle it incorrectly – it can hurt your index finger/hand or backfire and hit you in the right buttcheeck usually :) (if you are right handed)

Also if you need more power you use thicker band but then you will also need very strong index finger. :))

I made this one the way I used to make it when I was a child which was 35-40 years ago(except I used to used just a rubber band instead of resistance tube) I grew up with this king of slingshot, never used double band slingshot.:)View attachment 2546928

This the way to hold it not the actual pose you are in when you are shooting with it
View attachment 2546930
That's really interesting slingshot. Makes my hand hurt just looking at it. I think I'll leave it to those with younger hands. I don't heal as quickly as I once did. 🤠

windows 10 key tester
No not yet. I was going to get one sometime back but never did. Don't think I'm interested in it now.

That's really interesting slingshot. Makes my hand hurt just looking at it. I think I'll leave it to those with younger hands. I don't heal as quickly as I once did. 🤠
I know what you mean David! :eek: :D :thumbsup:
No not yet. I was going to get one sometime back but never did. Don't think I'm interested in it now.
Me neither. Maybe useful for marking trees or something :rolleyes: :D :thumbsup:

This is one I'd like to spend more time shooting. I've banded it up for steel, so not one I want to shoot indoors! :D I tried it with light bands and plastic ammo, when I first got it, and was pretty good. Think I'll only fired it with steel ammo once :thumbsup:

I've been plinking indoors with this John Webb design tonight :thumbsup:

This is one I'd like to spend more time shooting. I've banded it up for steel, so not one I want to shoot indoors! :D I tried it with light bands and plastic ammo, when I first got it, and was pretty good. Think I'll only fired it with steel ammo once :thumbsup:

I've been plinking indoors with this John Webb design tonight :thumbsup:

Glad your getting to do a little plinking. I havent done much plinking while I been recuperating. Hopefully soon.

Thank you kindly!

Was able to plink a short bit this afternoon. I could sure tell it has been a while. Having trouble keeping a consistent grip. 🤠

I really like that model David, use mine a fair bit. Mine has lighter bands on though. Those colours make for a great contrast with your Ebony Lamb :) The sun is out currently, so I might have half an hour in the back garden :thumbsup:

Gratuitous coconut macaroon addition! :D :thumbsup:

If you don't have one of these yet, I really recommend giving Zachary Fowler's 'Sparrow', by SimpleShot, a go. It looks such a simple design, but it shoots great, and is a lot of fun. It's also very inexpensive :thumbsup:

The 1,000 5mm steel balls I ordered arrived a couple weeks ago. (along with a second leather medieval style pouch to hold them.) 😁👍
I wonder when ittle be warm enough to go out and lose some ... 🤔🤨
Been about as warm as inside a functional refrigerator (or un-warmer) for FAR too long, in my humble (potentially biased) opinion. 🤨 ☹️

I want to find out if 5mm or 9mm is "best" in my catapults. (excluding the "big" one with .25" ID tubes, and wrist/arm brace, and the Sheaperd's Sling. I R sure both are much too small for them.)

I "think" I should get some .445 to .550 lead balls for the "big" slingshot/ catapult, and some "Brown Bess" or larger lead balls for the Sheaperd's Sling ... 🤔😁 At $20 (+/-) for 100 .440 to .550, and same $$ for 50 musket balls ... it won't be anytime soon, however.
10 or 20 pounds smooth 1 ~1.5" land scaping pebbles is also an option for the sling. 😇

Two of my little friends are taking a break.IMG_8276(1)-1.jpg Found this little Kline rope knife in tool box waiting to be cleaned up and put back in service. The Seljan Slant Roller is a fun shooter. No six inch paper plate is safe for long. I enjoy both of these hobbies as they provide smiles and more.
Tom

Back