Recommendation? Very Nice/Custom... Folding Boxcutters

Recently, something sinister has been happening.

I would be looking at my Les Voorhies, only to notice my Stanley box cutter, put down the custom knife to admire the cutter.

Then I would be flicking my Pray Mantis, then return it to its pouch to go looking for for my Stanley.

Other times, I would be holding my Umnumzaan, ready to open some mail, when suddenly, I would roughly shove the knife back in my pocket and coo over my Stanley before breaking down some boxes.

There is only one way to help save me, and others like me, from the evils of disposable blades. And that is to find a custom, or at least a really nice box cutter, preferably with Timascus. I know this is not logical, but addiction rarely is.

This is a call to action! Save us with pictures and information on your sexy box cutters. Show a box cutter, save the world (of knives).

Last edited:
I seem to recollect a custom job with replaceable blades on the sales forum recently. Had a rather funky color to boot.

Practical tools.

Rexford Knives makes the RUT V2.

Cant vouch for the quality, as Ive never handled one...but doesnt look very complicated though ... to say the least.

TvU3xD6.jpg
://www.bladeforums.com/threads/autine-kurbad-fixed-blade-elmax-and-folding-razor-blade.1551756/

Recently, something sinister has been happening.

I would be looking at my Les Voorhies, only to notice my Stanley box cutter, put down the custom knife to admire the cutter.

Then I would be flicking my Pray Mantis, then return it to its pouch to go looking for for my Stanley.

Other times, I would be holding my Umnumzaan, ready to open some mail, when suddenly, I would roughly shove the knife back in my pocket and coo over my Stanley before breaking down some boxes.

There is only one way to help save me, and others like me, from the evils of disposable blades. And that is to find a custom, or at least a really nice box cutter, preferably with Timascus. I know this is not logical, but addiction rarely is.

This is a call to action! Save us with pictures and information on your sexy box cutters. Show a box cutter, save the world (of knives).

Here you go

Spectrum Energetics custom boxcutter
thTryHy.png

Al_Utilizers_1024x1024.png

They make a pretty cool looking knife too. Spectrum Energetics Howitzer.
13117776_111698505910699_1024396969_n.jpg

Then they have the Rexford RUT for something smaller.
tad_gear_rexford_rut_170615_1.jpg

Very nice! I just bought one but it's straight out of the box-those are some awesome modifications you've done there.

Not to hijack this thread, but just want to add that I now carry the Gerber as my back-up EDC for small chores (open letters, use at work, etc.). I started after seeing some workmen (motorcycle mechanic, HVAC repairman, who's a knife knut) using utility blades for all their cutting needs. Seems pretty practical, given the fact that the blade can always be swapped out once it's dull. And there's some really interesting ones out there. Highly recommended.

Anyway, nice job!

Very nice! I just bought one but it's straight out of the box-those are some awesome modifications you've done there.

Not to hijack this thread, but just want to add that I now carry the Gerber as my back-up EDC for small chores (open letters, use at work, etc.). I started after seeing some workmen (motorcycle mechanic, HVAC repairman, who's a knife knut) using utility blades for all their cutting needs. Seems pretty practical, given the fact that the blade can always be swapped out once it's dull. And there's some really interesting ones out there. Highly recommended.

Anyway, nice job!

Alas not mine - belongs to the person linked to under the pic.

Is it the Gerber EAB, you have?

Pls tell us more, if yes - IMO no hijack, as this thread is about box cutters and Im thinking about getting the EAB.

Alas not mine - belongs to the person linked to under the pic.

Is it the Gerber EAB, you have?

Pls tell us more, if yes - IMO no hijack, as this thread is about box cutters and Im thinking about getting the EAB.
OK-I did get the EAB, and like it a lot. It's a stainless steel handle of some sort, with a standard utility blade (check some other threads regarding the various brands of blades), a fixed pocket clip which is a bit tight, and a liner lock. There's no thumb stud, which is why the one in the photo probably added one. You just pull the blade out by hand- pretty simple.

There's two versions, the one I got which is solid metal, and a light version which has some cutouts on the handle and a slightly different shape. I preferred the solid version, it has more of an industrial look to it. I only paid $16.95 for it on-line, but you can probably find it cheaper. Of course at that price you know it's made in China, but overall appears to be very well made and a solid piece. I definitely recommend it if you're into this sort of thing.

I picked up this Guppy razor from Serge Panchenko a while back.
Not folding but it has a kydex sheath that fits a beaded necklace for carrying.
Utility blades work extremely well for their designed uses.
The other day I was breaking down one of those crazy thick cardboard refrigerator boxes and I usually use whatever folder is in my pocket, but I grabbed the retractable utility knife out of the cabinet instead for some reason, probably the staples...
It's been a while since I used one but what a treat! Walked right through the stuff better than any of my reprofiled folders, and I've got some professionally reground and sharpened blades that just can't hold a candle to that cheap utility blade (for that particular purpose anyway).
The right tool for the job is how that adage goes right?
8P8OqBB.jpg

Last edited:
OK-I did get the EAB, and like it a lot. It's a stainless steel handle of some sort, with a standard utility blade (check some other threads regarding the various brands of blades), a fixed pocket clip which is a bit tight, and a liner lock. There's no thumb stud, which is why the one in the photo probably added one. You just pull the blade out by hand- pretty simple.

There's two versions, the one I got which is solid metal, and a light version which has some cutouts on the handle and a slightly different shape. I preferred the solid version, it has more of an industrial look to it. I only paid $16.95 for it on-line, but you can probably find it cheaper. Of course at that price you know it's made in China, but overall appears to be very well made and a solid piece. I definitely recommend it if you're into this sort of thing.
Good, that you drew my attention to the two different models.

I checked and I agree; the solid version looks better than the one with lightening cutouts.

Last edited:
Whoa! LOVE that bronze stonewash looking one!
Dammit... Another thing to add to the must have list... :D

I have the Gerber EAB and one thing I like about it is -- no special tools to remove the blade. Just a standard flat-blade screwdriver -- or whatever you have handy that's similar. This is nice because I can board a plane carrying the EAB without a blade, and then easily buy a blade at the first grocery/hardware store I spot when I land, and install it with a basic keychain tool. I see lots of allen/torx fittings on these other knives.

Good point.

At times, I travel only with a carry on and then that would come in handy.

Gerber EAB.

Way cheaper than the RUT mentioned above

... way.

My supervisor has two of the EABs, he loves them.

I, OTOH, don't really like them all that much; the handle is too short and the ergonomics are rough when cutting anything more than thin cardboard. Too much metal protrusions where the fingers rest, too thin to really grasp with the whole hand.

Overall, I like the larger, cheaper Gerber folding cutter that I got issued as my work knife, 4 years and still kicking with just some nano-lube to keep the pivot smooth.

Back