Recommendation? Very Nice/Custom... Folding Boxcutters

@KingMC Are those Gerbers still available?
Not sure about that particular model, but you'd be surprised how many utility knives that can be EDC'd are out there. By that I mean folding and/or compact models that are easy to carry and conceal. Locally, Ace Hardware and Menard's, among others, have a pretty good variety for sale. Worth checking out.

Yes, google 'Gerber Superknife' and you should be able to find it on the big river site.

In fact, the upgraded version of this model, made by Superknife, is on BladeHQ and has a nicer aluminum handle.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--SuperKnife-SK2-Ultimate-Utility--49605

SuperKnife-SK2-Gray-SU-501-BHQ-49605-jr.jpg
I like that. Plus, that Spectrum Energetics mentioned earlier is pretty awesome, but pricy!

OK- I'm bored so I dusted off this earlier thread- not old enough to be a considered a necro, I would think.

Interesting You Tube video on utility knives. Again, an EDC option that not too many people give thought to. If not your primary carry, should make a nice backup.

Excellent timing on the topic.

I was at Ace Hardware today looking at box cutters and didn't see anything that I liked, but I'm liking what Spectrum Energetics has!

022FA5E9-A685-4612-BCCE-FE868BC826A8.jpeg 1C39FEEB-DD2A-4C0B-918B-D6232B6C9EA7.jpeg Somebody cut 5 miles of carboard with a Spyderco S-110-V Military Blurple. If you want to kick it up a notch, Fantoni makes an HB-01 in S-125-V.

View attachment 976306 View attachment 976305 Somebody cut 5 miles of carboard with a Spyderco S-110-V Military Blurple. If you want to kick it up a notch, Fantoni makes an HB-01 in S-125-V.
While that may be the case, there is something to be said for the chore of sharpening those knives once they are that dead versus swapping in a new blade every now and then.

Only issue with these custom version I am seeing is that you have to take screws out to replace the blade. screws and their threads get worn with constant removal. the threads wear and they get sloppy. and if your screws are going into the frame of a knife those threads will wear as well. sure you can remove screws to break down your knife for cleaning/maintenance or to move a pocket clip. But if you have to remove screws to replace a blade every day? or say 2-3 times a week ? I go through about 2-3 blades a week myself on my utility cutter. Love the customs but for real world daily use you need a quick change system no screws

bDaeQ9a.jpg

I wish someone would do some custom work on this platform, IMO a much better style of boxcutter.

While that may be the case, there is something to be said for the chore of sharpening those knives once they are that dead versus swapping in a new blade every now and then.
I see your point. I use bimetal blades in my box cutters. They cost twice as much as regular blades but last 3 X as long.

Only issue with these custom version I am seeing is that you have to take screws out to replace the blade. screws and their threads get worn with constant removal. the threads wear and they get sloppy. and if your screws are going into the frame of a knife those threads will wear as well. sure you can remove screws to break down your knife for cleaning/maintenance or to move a pocket clip. But if you have to remove screws to replace a blade every day? or say 2-3 times a week ? I go through about 2-3 blades a week myself on my utility cutter. Love the customs but for real world daily use you need a quick change system no screws
A quick change system often employs a type of sprung button with a protrusion that catches in the grooves on the top of the blade.
These are also prone to wear, and are not a complete fix.

If the female screw side was a hardened steel sleeve with a lip on it (think chain ring bolt), and the male side screw held the handle together as a clam shell type design, or two separate halves, it would work. So long as the screws were softer than the female side and they were designed to be replaceable, you wouldn't likely have issues don the road with wear. At least not for many years.

Yeah that would definitely lengthen the life of the threads on the knife side. another change would be to have screws that you can tighten by hand (thumb/forefinger) thus eliminating the need for a tool whether an allen wrench or screwdriver its a PITA to have to stop and look for one. Unless your an EDC addict and also carry a pry/screw tool on your keychain!!! of cours they would have to stand proud of the knife itself and some would not like that I am thinking. But it could maybe be incorporated as a thumb opening stud . of course the other problem with little screws especially when working is they are small and easily fumbled and dropped and lost in that Bermuda Triangle of the floor . lose the screw and your shit out of luck .

Let's necro this one.

So I got hold of the new civivi box cutter. With the flipper and button lock.

And I like it it's nice. I used it all yesterday to snip plastic ties of bundles of paper and it held up fine.(there are a lot of twisting cuts as I dig the knife under the tie.

And I really like being able to use the whole blade.

So far the knife has stayed in my pocket on the bike.

Otherwise. I haven't pulled it apart to change the blade. And I haven't changed the Pocket clip for my leftyness.(it needs a tool. Not supplied. )

So we will see how that goes eventually.

I purchased this Exceed Design Tirana V3 with a titanium handle and I believe ceramic ball bearings. Was working part time at a warehouse and this knife crushed it. Comfortable, easy to deploy and it looked good doing it. Also have a David Mary that also cuts like a laser. Lots of good options, enjoy the hunt šŸ‰IMG_2255.jpeg

Back